Greatest SQ improvement: New DAC vs. new Preamp Question

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Now that the US stock markets appear to have found a bottom, my mind has once again wandered into the 'How can I improve my sound even more?" space. With that in mind, I'd like to pose a question to anyone interested in answering. I understand responses may be very subjective, but that is fine by me.

If I wanted to move to that next level of nirvana, and I had a budget of $2500, would I get more bang for my buck by buying a new DAC or a new preamp? [I'd like to limit this exercise to DACs and preamps if possible.]

I'm open to suggestions of any brand or SS/tube/hybrid/etc. technology. I'm not necessarily dissatisfied with my system, but....well....you know....it's that bug thing. I can't stop wondering what will take me higher. 

My current setup is:

AVA 400R Fet Valve Hybrid amp
AVA T-8 Vacuum Tube Preamp
Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus DAC
Oppo-103
Mac Mini (purchased new this year)
ProAc Response D2 speakers
I look forward to your input.

Thanks,

Michael

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Greatest SQ improvement: New DAC vs. new Preamp Question
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2014, 08:44 pm »
DAC that will do DSD natively.  DSD files tend to be more organic than PCM from my experience. 

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2014, 08:47 pm »
If you are looking to improve the resolution and transparency of your system, look at a DAC, especially one that can drive your amp directly.  If you are looking to change the character of your system, try out different preamp and/or power amp combinations.

windhoek

• Live life like you're gonna die, cos you're gonna!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2014, 09:15 pm »
I don't have one yet, but I've been sufficiently persuaded to give a Chord Hugo a go in the near future for stereo duties because it supports DSD and apparently, supports it bloody damn good!

SteveS

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2014, 10:01 pm »
My thoughts about the DAC Magic Plus...
This is my setup current system, below this my thoughts before and after replacing the DAC Magic Plus

Apple Mac Mini OSX 10.9.4
2.3 GHZ Quad Core Intel Core i7
16GB DDR3 1600MHZ Memory
iTunes 11.2.2

Channel D Pure Music 2.0.2

WD Mybook Hard Drive 3TB

Wyered4Sound W4S DAC-2 DSDse

Transcendent Sound Preamp and Transcendent Sound SOB Stereo Amp both kits I built.

Klipsch RF-7II -B Stock

When I first put together my system, I had been using a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus. With this in my system the sound was good, but something was missing, the music seemed a bit smeared and irritating depending on what was playing.
I took some time and started reading on different DAC's. I ended up with the Wyred4Sound and all I can say is WOW!!! what a difference.
The recordings that sounded smeared and irritating opened up and smoothed out. The sound stage has widened and awesome depth to the music has been revealed with this DAC.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2014, 02:04 am »
I just took the preamp out of the loop on my old (20+years) solid state class D NAD 7400 by running the DAC to the Amp side  of my integrated.  The Sound was much better richer fuller bass was smother and fuller.  All the way around I was better off.  I am feeding the DAC with a squeezebox or CD or for that matter I can run the TV in.  It would be nice of the DAC output was a little lower.  Outside of it costing less you can spend the money on the rest of the components.  And brother I need to do that.  There are passive preamp out there.  Lou at Daedalus has mentioned putting one together and his thoughts are using the Modwright DAC and Amp.

I did switch things back to help with the wife's using the unit.   I am also of the mind to remove items that color the recorded sound.   I am of the belief that I want to hear it the way it was recorded.

Alan  ( Just down the river)
And Home of the "Champagne taste with a Water Budget"

srb

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2014, 02:25 am »
I just took the preamp out of the loop on my old (20+years) solid state class D NAD 7400 by running the DAC to the Amp side  of my integrated.

NAD 7400 Class D?  I thought it was a standard class AB (NAD 2400 power amp section) with their Power Drive additional high-voltage rail for dynamic peak power demands.

Steve

luke357sig

« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2014, 02:57 am »
I have an AVA 440 amp and the t-8 preamp.  I was running a DacMagic and replaced it with the AVA hybrid DAC.  A HUGE difference.  I'd like to upgrade my t-8 to the new CF hybrid (because of all the great press), but if I had to do it all over, I'd still go for that DAC first.  WOW.

aldcoll

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:03 am »
That brings up a point above my pay grade.  The Folks at the pawn shop didn't know anything about it (thank god that was Pre Google).
I do know it is powerful.  I looked through my limited paperwork and I can't find anything.  And now I will have a new hunt for info.

I did go to the NAD Web site and time will see if they come up with answer.

Either way bypassing the Pre amp side helped.

Champagne Taste on a water budget

I would like a Modwight SE150 along with the New Elyse DAC Dropping the ree amp makes the rest of the dollars go father.

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:03 am »
With the gear you have now, a new DAC will totally transform your system.

sfox7076

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:07 am »
Buy a Chord Hugo.  It has a pre-amp built in and is battery powered.  It will let you play with these features.  That and it is an amazing DAC. 

prvngrnd

« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:09 am »
+1 on the DAC

Which should not require all of your budget to get better to your ear results.

And then spend the rest of the money on new music or some nice beverage of your choice to enjoy while listening. I also have an AVA T8+ preamp but a little less power with an Insight 240+ solid state amp. The desire to stray from my T8+ never happens because I absolutely love the sound from not only the digital end but also the phono stage.

At your price point I can't imagine you will beat the sound of the T8 by a considerable margin but there is SO much you can do with that budget in a dac. I am currently using an NAD M51 and I am very happy with the sound. Part of the draw for this component was its digital preamp ability along with all of the inputs but the imaging and detail from this dac blows away any of the sub $500 dacs I tried before.

aldcoll

« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:12 am »
http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/nad/7400.htm

Well how about that.......................  I guess that will help with the wife when I sale it or maybe I wont after all
Circuit Design

As I understand it, it uses a class AB power amplifier, but adds a second switchable "commutating" power supply rail to let it deliver more power for short bursts. This is why it's only rated at 100 W, but puts out about 400W on bursts. This means it really is a 400W amplifier for real music, which no one believed at the time. This Power Envelope technology really works.

There is a pair of 80 V, 10,000 µF capacitors for the main power supply, and a pair of 100 V, 10,000 µF for the
high-voltage peak supply.

NAD introduces the 7100 and this 7400 receiver, which are lesser models in the same series to fill in below the 7600.

This 7400 has selectable turnovers for the tone controls and is rated at 100 WPC with 6.2 dB of IHF headroom for $1,098 list price.  And two years later it was $999.  Still a buch :scratch: of money,

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:12 am »
I think it's hard to top the bang-for-the buck of the Sony HAP-Z1ES music server, you don't need a computer or a USB cable which is another plus.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:13 am »
I think it's hard to top the bang-for-the buck of the Sony HAP-Z1ES music server, you don't need a computer or a USB cable which is another plus.
Putting sonics aside the issue is that the HD space is small. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:20 am »
Putting sonics aside the issue is that the HD space is small.

The latest firmware update allows to you plug any outboard HD and play it through the Sony by USB, even have your friends bring their's over.

The Sony Hap-Z1ES would be the best deal. Here is a new one on Ebay for $1775 or best offer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281468330262

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:22 am »
The latest firmware update allows to you plug any outboard HD and play it through the Sony by USB, even have your friends bring their's over.

The Sony Hap-Z1ES would be the best deal. Here is a new one on Ebay for $1775 or best offer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281468330262
Noisy USB drives in my listening room is done.  NAS is the only way to go IMO.

RDavidson

« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:33 am »
Sticking specifically to DACs and/or preamps, I'd say your DAC is outclassed by the rest of your system. Not only that, there's synergy between your amp and preamp that you might not want to mess with.

At $2500 you're pretty close to used Auralic Vega DAC territory.

I like the Sony music server suggestion too. Hard to go wrong if you can accommodate going physical media-less for digital playback.

OzarkTom

« Reply #18 on: 17 Oct 2014, 03:40 am »
And the internet radio on the Sony is another big plus. :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2014, 04:15 am »
I would go for a Wyred 4 Sound DSDse DAC.  I heard this in my friends system with an AVA FET preamp and 400R amp with Magnepan 1.7 speakers.  It sounds awesome.  He brought it over my house and we hooked it up my BAT preamp and Pass amp and it blew my AVA Ultra Plus DAC out of the water.  The dynamics, musicality and detail were spectacular.  Bass was just explosive and well controlled.

https://wyred4sound.com/products

Here is a great review on it-

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wyred9/1.html

You can find these used for about $1600 on occasion.

Conversely there are more dynamic preamps than the T-8.  I bought an AVA Ultra Preamp over the T-8 as I found the T-8 not as detailed or musical and it was lacking the dynamics and Bass of the Ultra.  By the way, it you are interested, I have the Ultra Plus preamp with all the upgrades for sale at $875 firm.  It cost about $2300 with all the upgrades.