rhmmmm

Re: TEAC UD-501
« Reply #20 on: 3 Mar 2013, 10:16 pm »
Atlplasma, how is the ifi working out?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #21 on: 3 Mar 2013, 10:53 pm »
The distributor said to give it 40 hours for break in--but I'm not a very consistent counter.  :lol:

Let me give it a couple more days, and I take it out of the system and report back.

J_P_425

« Reply #22 on: 10 Mar 2013, 04:38 pm »
Does anyone in here have time with the HiFace mods JKDAC32 as well as the UD-501? These are the 2 dacs I'm currently considering for my first computer audio head and like most of use have no experience with DSD. The JKDAC32 has had absolutely rave reviews and John Kenny has his own dac coming soon. Is DSD and the feature set of the TEAC enough to set it above?

Airborn

« Reply #23 on: 11 Mar 2013, 12:35 am »
Look what arrived last week. :D

Got it set up fairly quick and started playing redbook through my SB Touch.

Eventually hooked up my win7/64 laptop and was able to play some downloaded DSD files with foobar no problem :icon_surprised:

So far it sounds very good on redbook (with and without upsampling) and DSD is otherworldly good. :thumb: I think I need some more content I am familiar with before I can really tell how DSD differs from redbook and hi rez PCM.  I guess I should work on getting my SACD's ripped. :duh:

boisty

« Reply #24 on: 14 Mar 2013, 12:28 am »
Hi,

Anyone using this DAC get the message "USB UNCONNECTED"?  I am getting this from time to time and cant figure out the issue.  I have to turn off the MacMini and the dac, take out the USB cable, replace the cable, and then turn all back on.  Sometimes have to repeat to get it to work again.  Like the dac but this is becoming a nuisance.  Thanks.

Boist

bprice2

« Reply #25 on: 14 Mar 2013, 12:41 am »
I was having trouble getting connected too.  I plugged in to a different USB port on my computer and haven't had the problem since.

boisty

« Reply #26 on: 14 Mar 2013, 02:11 am »
Thanks Bprice.  I'll give that a whirl tonight.

Boist

boisty

« Reply #27 on: 17 Mar 2013, 08:11 pm »
Bprice,

Your suggestion worked for me and I haven't had trouble since.  Crossing my fingers.  Thanks again.

Boisty

bprice2

« Reply #28 on: 17 Mar 2013, 09:30 pm »
Bprice,

Your suggestion worked for me and I haven't had trouble since.  Crossing my fingers.  Thanks again.

Boisty

Good to hear.  I'm glad it worked for you...so far.

BRN

« Reply #29 on: 18 Mar 2013, 03:41 pm »
Got it set up fairly quick and started playing redbook through my SB Touch.

Airborn,

How did you connect the SB to the Teac. RCA SPDIF, optical, or USB?

Brad

Airborn

« Reply #30 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:16 am »
Airborn,

How did you connect the SB to the Teac. RCA SPDIF, optical, or USB?

Brad
I connected the SB Touch to the Teac through RCA SPDIF.  It plays both red book cd and hi rez up to 24/192 this way out of the Touch running the Enhanced Digital Output mod. As noted previously by bprice2, the Teac doesn't appear to work with the EDO mod. for the Touch through USB.  Some incompatability with the EDO mod. and Teac usb drivers I think, rather than the hardware itself.  As also noted by bprice2, the UD-501 USB is supposed to be USB 2.0 compliant, so the EDO mod. should work, but for some reason it doesn't.  :scratch:

wlvca

« Reply #31 on: 20 Mar 2013, 05:22 pm »
I am considering the UD-501 as well.

Wondering if anyone has any further comments on the perfromance of this DAC?

Would be particularly interested in comparisons to the Mytek and the Matrix X-Sabre.

Thanks.

BRN

« Reply #32 on: 20 Mar 2013, 08:48 pm »
Airborn,

I missed bprice2's post. Thanks for the response. I wonder if a USB hub would help? From what I read the USB section is powered by the USB source. 

Airborn

« Reply #33 on: 21 Mar 2013, 04:29 pm »
Airborn,

I missed bprice2's post. Thanks for the response. I wonder if a USB hub would help? From what I read the USB section is powered by the USB source. 
I think bprice2's post was actually in the Teac thread on Computer Audiophile not here, so that's probably why you missed it.  Sorry for the confusion.  Here's a link: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/teac-ud-501-dual-mono-dac-dsd-streaming-14289/
I don't think a usb hub will solve the issue, but I don't know.  I think Atlplasma is using an iFi with the Teac, which should do the trick if power is an issue.  Not sure he has a Squeezebox though. Still it would be interesting to hear impressions of the iFi with the Teac.  At $200 it's a small price to pay if it cleans up the sound significantly.  If it makes the USB out of the Touch work with the Teac it's a no-brainer.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #34 on: 22 Mar 2013, 12:00 am »
Sorry for the delay in reporting on the iFi USB. My schedule has been brutal, which is actually a good thing when you're a self-employed schlub.

I listened to some Elton (96/24) and Jenna Mammina (DSD) with and without the iFi. I wish I could be more precise but doing this test on my headless Mini turned out to be a bit of a pain.

With the Teac, I think the effect is subtle. Although I feel the music opens up a bit with the iFi in the chain. For what it's worth, the iFi is staying and I will be getting the dual-head USB cable to see if that takes things up a notch.

BTW. I've become addicted to DSD. I plan to start another thread on this topic, but DSD is so much better than CD or even the usual "hi rez" stuff. It's also causing me to explore a different, more intimate type of music.

wisnon

« Reply #35 on: 22 Mar 2013, 09:05 am »
Hehehehehe

Welcome to the DSD club ATLPlasma.

Haoleb

« Reply #36 on: 17 May 2013, 03:06 am »
Recieved my Teac today, I have been considering getting a USB DAC for about a year or so now, I have considered the Dac Magic Plus and the Asus Essence One mainly because they both have headphone outputs and both seem packed with features. I also looked at that top of the line piece of schiit dac with USB but alas.. no headphone output. And to me it seems kind of... well.. basic. looks wise..   Although to be honest I am not real keen on the Looks of the Cambridge audio, or the build of the Asus. The new Muses edition of the Asus really intrigued me but I just cannot see paying 1000 dollars for some special op amps. I almost purchased each of them more than once but never could quite do it. The DAC I have been using.. or had before I put my stereo gear into storage was a old MSB dual digital processor IIX that was originally meant for home theater but I got it for free and with a couple quick repairs it was back up and running and served me very well as over the years I have moved from listening to cd's to listening off of my computer where everything is at my fingertips.

Well fast forward a bit and one night looking at.... actually I don't remember what the hell I was looking at online but it ended up costing me a tidy sum of money........i came across this Teac UD-501 which was very interesting. Built like a tank, Dual mono design (which I am secretly in love with) and to top it off it will decode things that neither the CA or Asus will. I was sold. Contacted Ron Buffington at liquid hifi because I came across his name in other online threads and it was shipped out the next day (highly recommend you get in touch with him  :wink:)

Now let me begin the initial impressions section with by saying for the past 10 months I have been listening to music through some Sennheiser HD280's driven by the on board sound from my motherboard. Not great. Heck, barely mediocre. The DAC shows up today in all its glory. Man this thing is pretty hefty for a little DAC. Very nice. I do not have any gear that is super esoteric but, still pretty decent. But the build quality on this is right up there at the top of anything else I have come across to date. I purchased the DAC in black, and personally I love the looks of it. The allen head screws, little rack handles.. etc If I could change one thing I would have it made here is the USA. Regarding the brand name.. well.. TEAC. I don't think most audiophiles would mention high end and Teac in the same sentence.  I always wanted to have one of their reference mini systems but never did. Infact, the first system I ever bought consisted of some KLH speakers and a Teac receiver and 5 disc cd player, But THIS Teac is not THAT Teac. I do think Teac knows how to make some very nice gear and this is no exception. While still relatively new, I predict that once more people get to have Experience with this DAC it will become quite popular. 

Ok, Ok, enough babbling. I have used Winamp forever but downloaded Fubar2000 to play high res files. So far I have not gotten it to switch over to DSD mode but alas I only have one DSD file (I think) and I have to do some tinkering with the drivers. But so far initial sound is.. obviously a huge step up from the onboard sound card. The headphone output drives these HD280 wonderfully. Tomorrow I should receive the Schiit LYR and HD650 I also ordered to use with this DAC and I can give a more definitive review of the headphone section and overall sound.. But SO far. I'm lovin it!  One thing I have noticed it that it seems very quiet.. or a black background as people sometime say.... And remarkably smooth sounding... I don't do review catch words. It sounds good plain and simple. I'm not the type to spend 400 bucks on a USB cable infused with mermaid tears and sasquatch hair dielectric. Cant wait to try some real DSD stuff!!

InfernoSTi

« Reply #37 on: 1 Jun 2013, 10:51 pm »
My Teac UD-501 arrived today...my early impressions are quite good.  I'm playing it through a Mac Mini (will try it with a CAPS server later on) via JRiver for Mac (I also tried Audirvana Plus which worked equally well).  No setup issues, played DSD straight away.  I have my JRiver set to output 384kHz PCM.  Transition between DSD and PCM is smooth with no "pop" at all. 

My initial impression: I find the sound to be very musical and with good PRAT...I like it!

Best,
John

Brad

« Reply #38 on: 1 Jun 2013, 11:18 pm »
Would like to say "ditto"   :thumb:

Mine came in this week and I finally got it set up last night.
Fairly easy setup, even with Server 2008 R2

My initial impressions are the same.  Great pace/timing and smooth, detailed sound.
DSD very nice, as is hirez PCM and Redbook sounds really good too.
Using the SLOW setting with PCM and FIR2 with DSD.
The headphone amp will be a bonus, should my son ever return my good headphones.
Built like a tank, too!

I like my Belkin Gold USB cable ($10) but will be looking for something better in the $100-150 range.

I like the contrast/juxtoposition of playing the Teac through my 50+ year old amp   :roll:

Brad

« Reply #39 on: 1 Jun 2013, 11:29 pm »
Does anyone in here have time with the HiFace mods JKDAC32 as well as the UD-501? These are the 2 dacs I'm currently considering for my first computer audio head and like most of use have no experience with DSD. The JKDAC32 has had absolutely rave reviews and John Kenny has his own dac coming soon. Is DSD and the feature set of the TEAC enough to set it above?

I had the JK Dac and would give it the edge over the Teac with Redbook.  Blacker backrounds, slightly better tonality.
I haven't heard John's latest DAC, but it should be an improvement over the one I had.

DSD through the Teac takes the cake for me though.  The sense of ease, the rightness, etc.
If you're going to play DSD, either downloaded or ripped, I would say get the Teac.
If not, the John Kenny is a winner, and he's a great guy to deal with as a bonus.