Interchange Ethernet interface is alive

audioengr

Interchange Ethernet interface is alive
« on: 4 Mar 2016, 05:40 pm »
My new interface module for wired Ethernet, "Interchange" is finally working.  It gives me Ethernet input and S/PDIF, AES, and I2S output.  I will be comparing it to my partially working XMOS Off-Ramp 6 interface today.  Right off the bat, it seems to sound very good and works at all sample rates.  I am using Jriver so far.

It draws a lot more power than the USB modules did, so I will need to change the Dynamo from 12VDC to 9VDC in order to reduce power dissipation.  It think it may be okay inside the ODSX however.

Steve N.

trueaudiophile

Re: Interchange Ethernet interface is alive
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2016, 02:28 am »
Steve -

Great news!  Any new sound update? I am sitting here listening to the OR6 Bata and the Dynamo PS and PB. I am really blown away by what I am hearing!  Running I2S out into the newly updated dac and I just can't imagine things getting much better!!   Heavens, I Love This Stuff :lol: I cant wait to check out the Ethernet connection and the differences it may have over USB!  After all, hearing is believing.....

Please keep up the magic of your products!!  The OR6 is truly a killer!!  No,  you cant have it back  : :thumb:

Keep me posted

Best Regards,

Trueaudiophile

R-A-W

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2016, 09:03 am »
Hey Steve,

Very interesting, a few questions;
Does this device require specific playback software?
Can it be attached via a network switch?

best regards,
Rogier

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2016, 05:41 pm »
Hey Steve,

Very interesting, a few questions;
Does this device require specific playback software?

I am using Jriver now, but I believe anything that will do DLNA will work with it.

Can it be attached via a network switch?

Yes.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2016, 02:25 am »
Steve -

Great news!  Any new sound update? I am sitting here listening to the OR6 Beta and the Dynamo PS and PB. I am really blown away by what I am hearing!  Running I2S out into the newly updated dac and I just can't imagine things getting much better!!   Heavens, I Love This Stuff :lol: I cant wait to check out the Ethernet connection and the differences it may have over USB!  After all, hearing is believing.....

Please keep up the magic of your products!!  The OR6 is truly a killer!!  No,  you cant have it back  : :thumb:

Keep me posted

Best Regards,

Trueaudiophile

Okay, I am finally well enough (over the flu) to compare my XMOS USB (Off-Ramp 6) to the new Interchange  Ethernet renderer.  They are virtually identical.  Very good news.  The XMOS is driven by Amarra on an optimized Mac and the Ethernet is driven by Jriver on the same Mac.  I think maybe this eliminates the computer and playback software as a factor affecting SQ.  This is the desired result.

This weekend I will be building a new Dynamo at 9VDC to power the Interchange.  This will ship standard.  No wall-wart. 

The first Ethernet module shipped will go into an Overdrive SX.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2016, 06:22 pm »
The 9VDC Dynamo is finished and working nicely with the Interchange.  Does not overheat now.

I would like to install the  BubbleUPNP and the Linn Kazoo, but I must have El Capitan on my Mac to support these and I don't have the El Capitan driver for my USB yet.  It is coming soon I am told....

Steve N.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2016, 08:06 pm »
Interested in trying this for sure... Will you be verifying that this sounds the same using an inferior source?

trueaudiophile

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2016, 09:48 pm »
Steve -

I am using both Linn Kazoo and Bubble UPNP with JRiver 21 and I can tell you once again there is absolutely no difference in sound quality!  The big difference comes when I use Linn Kazoo and MinimServer .  Totally smokes JRiver 21 in overall soundstage and detail.  This is  via  windows server 2012 R2 and the Audiophile Optimizer in core mode.  The OR6 via USB performs flawlessly at all sample rates.  DoP must be used for DSD processing. This configuration also sounds great using the windows 10 pro OS.

Best Regards,

Tueuaudiophile  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 01:24 am by trueaudiophile »

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2016, 12:12 am »
Steve -

I am using both Linn Kazoo and Bubble UPNP with JRiver 21and I can tell you once again there is absolutely no difference in sound quality!  The big difference comes when I use Linn Kazoo and MinimServer .  Totally smokes JRiver 21 in overall soundstage and detail.  This is  via  windows server 2012 R2 and the Audiophile Optimizer in core mode.  The OR6 via USB performs flawlessly at all sample rates.  DoP must be used for DSD processing. This configuration also sounds great using the windows 10 pro OS.

Best Regards,

Tueuaudiophile  :thumb:

I have a Win7 laptop I can convert to Win10.  Can I use this one to do Linn Kazoo and Minimserver?

Can I use Minimserver on the Mac?

Steve N.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2016, 07:07 am »
MinimServer app is available on any Qnap NAS...

srb

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2016, 07:33 am »
MinimServer is available for Windows, Mac, Linux, QNAP, Synology, Netgear ReadyNAS and ASUSTORE.

trueaudiophile

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2016, 01:18 am »
Steve -

As previously answered, yes you can and trust me , I did a real time direct A/B comparison and without question the ladder is the way to go!

Best!

Trueaudiophile

TLowe

« Reply #12 on: 21 Mar 2016, 03:24 pm »
I understand the

minimserver --> JRiver --> BubbleUPNP --> Kazoo

using Kazoo as a control point. How do you get minimserver to Kazoo without a media renderer? Are you using Kazoo Server?

Thanks!

TLowe

« Reply #13 on: 21 Mar 2016, 05:39 pm »
Oh man, I should not send emails on Monday morning before having my coffee.  :duh:

I am using the same basic layout with Windows 10 but using Foobar 2000 with the foo_upnp and WASABI plugins and following the Fidelizer documentation for settings. Have you compared Foobar to JRiver in terms of sound (lots of talk on the audiophile chat boards about Jplay but for 100 euro that seems far fetched)? Or is the issue now moot with the move toward Ethernet?

AKLegal

« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2016, 05:42 pm »
Is this going to be a standalone product or just an add on for other Empirical products?

audioengr

« Reply #15 on: 23 Mar 2016, 05:35 pm »
Is this going to be a standalone product or just an add on for other Empirical products?

Its a stand-alone renderer.  It includes the Dynamo power supply, so 2 boxes.  Looks like the Off-Ramp, but with Ethernet input.

Steve N.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #16 on: 17 Apr 2016, 02:39 pm »
HI Steve,

Sounds interesting.  I like the idea of getting my MacBook Pro out of the direct signal path, although I guess I would lose Amarra Symphony with the very good sounding IRC.

Any idea on release timing, features and pricing? On the features side, I am the most interested in native DSD over I2S and would also like to know if you are putting the Hynes regulators on the HDMI output.

Todd

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #17 on: 20 Apr 2016, 12:51 pm »
And I realize I'm asking for a stretch here, but could it support Roon?

audioengr

« Reply #18 on: 24 Apr 2016, 08:18 pm »
No Roon, sorry.

vortecjr

• Industry Contributor
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2017, 06:50 pm »
This application will allow you to stream Roon to this device:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146693.0