GR-Research and Rythmik Audio 6x12 servo sub array

drphoto

Re: GR-Research and Rythmik Audio 6x12 servo sub array
« Reply #60 on: 25 Jul 2016, 10:28 pm »
thanks ed. look forward to hearing your rig. I only know one other guy who's into this stuff.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #61 on: 25 Jul 2016, 10:31 pm »
Here is my tip for wiring the drivers.

At the amp end, wire both set of drivers as if the are both front firing.  This means the drivers are in parallel red to red, black to black.  Wire the servo wires in series with one red and black wires from the pair connected together.

Wire the forward pairs as normal.  Wire the reverse pair with all the wires colors swapped.  When you get to wire 12 of them, you look for a simple visual method and it works.

Give that a try if needed.

drphoto

« Reply #62 on: 25 Jul 2016, 10:44 pm »
cool Hal. That works for me. Thanks. I really hope the wiring is the issue, because I was drooling when I read all the reviews, then I got and was like 'what?'. If I go back to Maggies, I think the bass as described would be perfect. My old Maggies got stand up bass on jazz flat out right. Better than anything else I ever heard. But they had no 'slam' on rock stuff. And I like to rock out. I have no neighbors except weekends (B&B next door) I'll play the Chile Peppers or Floyd, etc at the limits of speakers sometimes if I want. (hey not all the time. I have a part, part time job as a front of house mix man. I value my hearing. I'm good at it because I can still hear. Plenty of guys with more tech know how in town, but they're all half deaf.  :evil:)

Captainhemo

« Reply #63 on: 25 Jul 2016, 11:00 pm »
possibly even easier for duals with one forward facing woofer, one rearward facing woofer :

jay

drphoto

« Reply #64 on: 25 Jul 2016, 11:13 pm »
nice. that look like even an idiot like me can follow. :wink:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #65 on: 25 Jul 2016, 11:20 pm »
Nice Jay, that should help anyone who has a question. Of course now everyone is mounting them in the same direction :dunno:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #66 on: 25 Jul 2016, 11:30 pm »
Not everyone is facing them forward, so we are here for the ones that do not. 

Had a pair of 2x12 OB H-Frame opposing driver servo subs at CAF in the demo room and they were again the best bass I heard at the show. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #67 on: 25 Jul 2016, 11:37 pm »

Had a pair of 2x12 OB H-Frame opposing driver servo subs at CAF in the demo room and they were again the best bass I heard at the show.

Except for Steve's  (Audio Insidght), you guys could have had an interesting shootout  :lol:

Nice Jay, that should help anyone who has a question. Of course now everyone is mounting them in the same direction :dunno:

Greg, I've got a crude pair  like those for the triples too, I'll post  them all  over  in the flat pack thread  ,. I've posted them in other threads previously but can't remember which ones  :scratch:

jay

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #68 on: 25 Jul 2016, 11:40 pm »

I know Hal, just messing with Jay. I do own a pair of super Vs and had to wire them up in reverse.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #69 on: 26 Jul 2016, 12:54 am »
cool Hal. That works for me. Thanks. I really hope the wiring is the issue, because I was drooling when I read all the reviews, then I got and was like 'what?'. If I go back to Maggies, I think the bass as described would be perfect. My old Maggies got stand up bass on jazz flat out right. Better than anything else I ever heard. But they had no 'slam' on rock stuff. And I like to rock out. I have no neighbors except weekends (B&B next door) I'll play the Chile Peppers or Floyd, etc at the limits of speakers sometimes if I want. (hey not all the time. I have a part, part time job as a front of house mix man. I value my hearing. I'm good at it because I can still hear. Plenty of guys with more tech know how in town, but they're all half deaf.  :evil:)

If they are not wired properly it will definitely make a difference. If you have one driver facing forward and one rearward and forget to reverse the polarity on the driver coils the drivers will cancel each other out and you will have almost no output (three guesses as to how I know that and the first two don't count  :oops:).

If you get the servo coils wired wrong you won't have much low frequency extension or be able to handle much power before the drivers bottom out (Yeah, done that too  :nono:).

Mike

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #70 on: 26 Jul 2016, 01:12 am »
Except for Steve's  (Audio Insidght), you guys could have had an interesting shootout  :lol:

Greg, I've got a crude pair  like those for the triples too, I'll post  them all  over  in the flat pack thread  ,. I've posted them in other threads previously but can't remember which ones  :scratch:

jay

Those were Steve's 2x12's.  They have opposing drivers.  They are also $6000/pair.

He finally got his 6x12's working.  Those were not at the show. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #71 on: 26 Jul 2016, 01:43 am »
Those were Steve's 2x12's.  They have opposing drivers.  They are also $6000/pair.

He finally got his 6x12's working.  Those were not at the show.

I know ,  we sent him the cabinets for the  2 x 12's  :)
I thought you were saying you had another pair there, hence my "joke" about you guys having a shootout !

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #72 on: 26 Jul 2016, 01:52 am »
I thought the cabinets looked familiar.   :D

No, I just supplied the entire HiRez digital front end for the room and completely crushed the highly modified CD transport!  :)

Captainhemo

« Reply #73 on: 26 Jul 2016, 04:41 am »

No, I just supplied the entire HiRez digital front end for the room and completely crushed the highly modified CD transport!  :)

8)
We still want to get  one of the  new  MS-3 ? 's up here and give it a  try at some point 

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #74 on: 26 Jul 2016, 10:49 am »
The MS-3 demo unit is available if you want to give it a try.

What is better is trying the MS-3 with the dspMusik.  That was the CAF2016 setup that had folks jumping in their chairs!  I love good pipe organ music, and the RR Pomps&Pipes CD track Arthur Wills, The Vikings is the thing to try.  Just watch your volume level!  :o  :thumb: