Re: GR-Research and Rythmik Audio 6x12 servo sub array
« Reply #40 on: 10 Mar 2016, 04:11 am »
HAL's better half:  "can yo ujust move those upstairs honey ? "   :duh:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #41 on: 10 Mar 2016, 11:15 am »
Jay,
We made an agreement that I have the basement for audio purposes.  It is the audio Mad Scientist Lab!  :thumb:

Early B.,
So far only Avoosl and myself have heard the setup.  007KLH has asked to listen to it and maybe he will do a review of the demo setup. 

mlundy57,
The listening room has STC83 rated 14" walls on all four sides. The ceiling is 12" thick construction lumber I-beams. No air flow noise as well from HVAC.  It is dead quiet and no sound really gets in or out once the solid core door is closed.  I designed it for music listening!  :D   

Avoosl

« Reply #42 on: 10 Mar 2016, 02:18 pm »
I'm one of Rich's neighbors - about 3 miles away - and I must report.  I kid you not, I have been hearing low, bass-like thuds and booms lately at my house.  It seems too far away to be from the HAL salon, and some might say they are the unaccountable sounds some have been hearing around the world, but I will go on record to say that those 6X12s are the most likely source.  Increyable!  Looking forward to their mating with a suitable mid-high line array.  Stay tuned to this page for what promises to be the 21st century instantiation of the monstrous IRS Infinity memories of yesteryear.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #43 on: 10 Mar 2016, 05:22 pm »

PLEASE write a review!

You know, Early B. is onto something.  I know that you have heard the best of the best to compare to.  What about a real 300 word review???  I know what that base module can do, but how does the rest of it integrate and sound?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #44 on: 10 Mar 2016, 05:29 pm »
Scott,
Let me see what I can do.  I think I do better as an EE than a writer.  Harkens back memories of english classes.   :o 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #45 on: 10 Mar 2016, 07:23 pm »
Now to the sound quality of the open baffle planar desktop mated to the 6x12 servo arrays.  Music used to voice them started with Classical and Jazz recordings as follows:

Reference Recordings-Exotic Dances HRx
Reference Recordings-Crown Imperial HRx
Reference Recordings-Pomp & Pipes HDCD
Reference Recordings-Post Cards HDCD
Telarc- Fanfare For The Common Man -Aaron Copland
RCA Living Stereo – The Reiner Sound DSD
RCA Living Stereo – Beethoven Symphony 9, Fritz Reiner DSD
Dave Brubeck Quartet-Time Out CD
Julie London-Time For Love CD
Frank Sinatra –Various CD
Elvis Presley – for Avoosl CD
Mannheim Steamroller-Fresh Aire III CD
Rock and lots of it.

The first thing you notice is the sense of space around the instruments that I think of as the hallmark of open baffle speakers.  Soundstage width and depth are very good and very dependent on the replay volume for the recording.  No vocal sibilant emphasis on either female or male voices.   Voices have body and room presence.   This all helps suspend the sense of it being a recording. 

The melding of the open baffle planars and H-Frame open baffle servo drivers are amazing.   One important detail is to be able to time delay the planars to match up with the servo subs wavefront output.   The one drawback is that mating a point source mid-tweeter array to the line array servo subs changes the sense of size of instruments.  The good part is that the subs work up well into the vocal range to add some sense of scale to everything.  You also have to be more on the sweet spot of the planars than a full line array.

After hearing the open baffle line array’s at Danny’s, it became obvious that some of the sense of ease of reproduction with line is missing with just the single planar midrange and tweeter.    This takes away a small part of the overall reproduced experience, but not a huge part.

The servo subs are in a class by themselves.   One thing about hearing a pipe organ in a large space is the sense of air movement.   It comes from all over, not just one direction.  The organ really is the venue.  The organ low pedal notes from the Reference Recordings with the servo subs gives me that sensation at my listening chair.  Does it give me the whole body resonance like the REFIII’s, no, but very good indeed.    Drums are amazing in tracks like the Aaron Copeland.  It creates the wall of sound the real instrument does in a large venue.  Double bass has the growl and power you would hear in live settings out in the audience.  It really is difficult to explain the sense of involvement when you have really good bass response.  It all starts at the foundation and recordings with low frequency room noise are easily heard and felt.

Hope that gives everyone an idea of the sound quality of the open baffle planar desktop servo sub array setup in my listening room.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #46 on: 10 Mar 2016, 07:59 pm »
Thanks for the write up... and much as I expected.   Having heard what that bass setup can do, I'm not surprised at the sense of realism. Hopefully the BG drivers will be available someday.   :thumb:

revg1952

« Reply #47 on: 10 Mar 2016, 11:01 pm »
Rich
 extremely impressive looking, and I can't even imagine how great they sound; move over IRS !!!
Gary

bdp24

« Reply #48 on: 10 Mar 2016, 11:20 pm »
Rich, I couldn't agree more. Line source planars are IT for me. And with the OB/Dipole subs added, it don't get no better! I never owned the Infinity IRS, but did have the RS-1b' s, which had six 8" Servo-feedback workers per side and little individual Emid and Emit mid and tweeter drivers. I sold them when I got the GR OB' s!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #49 on: 5 Apr 2016, 09:26 pm »
Well the next step is to try them out with the open baffle line array's with the FPS planars I have been working on. 

Here is the point they are at today.  Will be putting 8 FPS planars per side to go with the 6x12" servo subs.  The rest of the planars to install arrive tomorrow.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #50 on: 9 May 2016, 10:59 am »
One thing I really love about the open baffle H-Frame servo subs is the figure of 8 radiation pattern.  Mine are setup so you can walk around them.  When playing it is very easy to tell that there are nulls in the radiation pattern at 90 degrees to the front of the baffle. 

Just happens that the null is pointed toward the sofa on the side wall of the room.  Nobody gets pummeled by to much bass.

I ran MathAudio Room EQ on the setup and the bass accuracy with the 6x12" is absolutely amazing.  This is a great pairing in my setup.  My room is already acoustically treated, so this is the final tweaking of the LF end. 

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #51 on: 9 May 2016, 04:48 pm »
Hal,

I'm really looking forward to seeing these bad boys together when they are finished. I was listening to music last night on my Super V's noticing just how good the bass really is, can only imagine what yours must sound like.

bdp24

« Reply #52 on: 9 May 2016, 09:43 pm »
I'm working towards making a second pair of OB Subs, stacking them on the ones I have now, for a 4-12 5ft. tall bass column per side flanking my 5 ft. tall planar speakers. A wall of sound!

JoshK

« Reply #53 on: 9 May 2016, 09:55 pm »
I suddenly have a new respect for you as your room is more cluttered than mine!  lol

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #54 on: 9 May 2016, 09:57 pm »
Neatness is highly overrated!   :lol:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #55 on: 12 Jul 2016, 09:06 pm »
Had an interesting thing happen after building the 6x12" servo sub arrays.

One DCAudioDIY member suggested I should bring the servo sub array's to CAF2016.  They had a standard size room, so really would not be able to test it's abilities.  The 2x12's in those rooms are awesome.

They are moving CAF to November next year and there is a possibility of a mini-CAF this November.  Will be watching for details, but if it is a larger room, will be getting the servo sub arrays finished and will think about taking them to the show to demo them.

Have figured out a way to clean up the wiring and still keep it easy to assemble/disassemble them to move.  Will redo it when they get taken apart for finishing. 

Will see what happens.

Captainhemo

« Reply #56 on: 12 Jul 2016, 09:17 pm »
 8)

Have you made up your mind on paint yet Rich ? 
We've used both  sovent and  water based paint on our MDF now and  we haven't had an isse with either

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #57 on: 12 Jul 2016, 09:28 pm »
A friend works for a paint finishing company.  He has a finish like Duratex called U-POL, that is tintable sold by the company.  Comes as a kit.

Waiting on pricing and delivery time as I would need about 4 kits for coverage.  Looking at a metallic blue color to see if it is possible.  I just need to find the color I want.  I kinda like the new Honda Civic SI medium metallic blue.

drphoto

« Reply #58 on: 25 Jul 2016, 10:18 pm »
I never got my OB subs to perform well. I THINK I did the wiring correctly. When I get back into audio (I haven't turned on big rig in 6+years) I will rip it out and start over. I have a pair of H-frames. 2 drivers in each with the Rythmik amps. Double wall MDF boxes. BH5 liners. But not real slam. Dunno.

I know I had the wiring diagram on my old Mac Pro that died. I must have asked Danny for it a couple of times. If anyone has, please post, as I had to get new computer. Someday, I will salvage drive from the old one, but double shifts at work sort of kill my desire to do anything at home but screw around on the net and watch crap on netfilx.

ebag4

« Reply #59 on: 25 Jul 2016, 10:25 pm »
Here you go Joe.

Best,
Ed