Over Ear Closed Headphones for Mixing?

fado

Over Ear Closed Headphones for Mixing?
« on: 13 Apr 2014, 04:36 pm »
I know Audiocircle is not targeted to Pro-Audio users but perhaps some members have experience in that area. My brother does Mixing (not mastering) and I want to give him headphones most suitable for that purpose.
1. Any suggestions for makes & models?
2. Can you direct to any pro-audio forums similar to Audiocircle?
Thanks

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
Re: Over Ear Closed Headphones for Mixing?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2014, 06:30 pm »
I just bought the Sony MDR-7520.  I think it is a very nice over the ear closed headphone!!  There are other threads about this particular headphone in regards to mixing.

Here is a massive thread on Gearslutz that deals with this very subject.  You may want to start on the last 20 pages and work your way to the end.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/508831-best-mixing-headphones.html

Regards,

Randy

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2014, 11:53 am »
I have these and think your brother would be very happy with them.  You could certainly spend more but I think you would be hard pressed to find something better in this price range.  If you want to spend more the SRH940 is slightly better too.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2014, 12:05 pm »
I've been using these for about 30 years:

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/intercom-broadcast-and-tv/headphones-for-moderators-and-commentators/dt-150.html

Excellent isolation, very flat, almost no coloration. very good roll-off.

I use/d them for live monitoring & recording in both controlled and uncontrolled environments: Pretty much everything from FOH to studio recording, mixing, and mastering. These days, most often used for home playback.

Build quality is superb. I'm only on my second pair.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2014, 12:34 pm »

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2014, 12:54 pm »
The Fostex T50RP are quite well thought of and have been a favorite for modders who try to improve on their basic design. MadDogs and AlphaDogs are both based off this base pair of headphones, as are Smeggy's Thunderpants.