Newbe from Holly Mi. Getting back into good sound listning....

battermoose11

Hello to all , Just got back into hearing good music thru a computer. My son knew I liked listening to headphones , so he sent me a new small tube headphone amp from Schiit audio ( VALI) . I then bought their small usb Dac,(MODI) and got a subscription to Spotify, to get the better resolution. I have 15 sets of Headphones and am going thru them to find the best sounding combo . I must say this little combo sounds great on some of the newer headphones. anyone want to chime in on this combo and have any suggestions to a new set of headphones?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Welcome neighbor! (Owosso)

I did headphones in college that were perfect for the dorm (even open air, for comfort), even in a private room that I enjoyed for a term.  Now with a dedicated/insulated room and a little more money I no longer need headphones.  But I too just 'converted' to using the computer last autumn and have been looking to replace my DAC, probably to a Schiit BiFrost.

There are a few of us within an hour or so from you plus many of the Audio Karma bunch. 

ltr317

That's a lot of headphones for two ears!  :lol:

battermoose11

YES,I know, but I am from the old school. If one is good more should be better?????. Sometimes so, sometimes no. I think I will make a rack and hang them on the wall and pick a pair until I get 2-4 sets to keep and sell off the rest.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Hi,
Under $500 I suggest the HifiMan HE400, which Iam impressed with, great planar sound at just $299, there are better options but only at over $1000 level.

I take the HE400 after carefuly consider various planars and dynamics inclusive Sennheisers HD600/650/700, this HE400 review help me alot:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE400

Or the HE300 at $249 with an regular dynamic driver, a review:
http://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-he-300-the-dynamic-driver/
I dont own this He300 though.

battermoose11

I have narrowed it down to the following:  Nad visio hp50, psb m4u 2, sennheiser 598,and will add in the hifiMan HE 400. I will try and find them locally and give them all a" test drive".

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I have narrowed it down to the following:  Nad visio hp50, psb m4u 2, sennheiser 598,and will add in the hifiMan HE 400. I will try and find them locally and give them all a" test drive".
Make sure the HE400 be proper breakin, owner manual say 150hours, but some custumers say 900 to 1200 hours:
http://yklee118.blogspot.com.br/2013/08/the-hifiman-he-400-entry-reference.html
Velour pads also change the sound to better.