Has anyone ever compared a BIT 20 (or Torus equivalent) to a PS Audio P10?

Rod_S

As the title asks I'm curious if anyone has compared the two? If so what were your impressions? Granted the products are a bit different with the P10 being a regenerator but both provide low output impedance and both seem to provide voltage regulation (if using a BIT/Torus AVR unit). I'm wondering if this power regeneration technology really works (i.e. true audible and visual improvements) making the PS Audio units better than the typical power conditioner competition or its an excuse to up the cost of their power products.

Thanks

zoom25

Big Red Machine

Some folks swear by the regenerators. Many more folks have abandoned them because they can rob the soundstage (their words). I have always been tempted to own a large regenerator. I have had the smaller units and the Canadian brand once. Overall I have had better results with BPT, Furman, and now Silver Circle balanced power transformers. BPT and Silver Circle are both out of business now. The Torus units are reasonably priced but don't forget they also need to have headroom as well. So buy the biggest one you can afford so the transients can be accommodated by the transformer. Don't size it on the low side. My Silver Circle has a 5 kva transformer in it. Opened up my soundstage.

zoom25

Is it possible to run the BIT20 on a 15 amp circuit?

Big Red Machine

No.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
The main thing to remember about 'regenerators':
The regenerator is actually an AMPLIFIER. It outputs a specific signal of 60Hz. PERIOD.

So any regenerator really uses more power than any transformer based filtering device.
If one worries about carbon footprint, wasting power etc.. a regenerator is a pretty inefficient way to clean up the AC.
Also there is a myth that a regenerator is a 'perfect' AC source. Not true. The signal it creates is better, but not perfect. The output being worse if the input is worse.
The prior PS Audio generation of devices was like if 10% bad in, then 2% bad out..
The newer ones may improve this some. (to like 1% ) but still not perfect.

I own two power conditioners, one of each type (I bought both used.)
I have a Furman REF20i (toroidial filter with capacitor line voltage 'stiffening')
And a PS Audio P600 regenerator. The main joy of this particular product is it can alter the AC out frequency. So I use it at 110Hz AC output instead of 60HZ. (this is a whole 'nother topic)

Either one using only a portion of the total rated power matters... Using only a portion allow a better result. The PS Audio P600 I use for just a few digital components, so it is always loafing along. I want it to last forever.. Since it is a rare bird. No one makes a regenerator with variable AC frequency anymore!

Rod_S

Yes it is, you simply need a power cable with a 20A IEC and 15A plug. Easily accommodated by most cable companies.

Elizabeth

Yes it is, you simply need a power cable with a 20A IEC and 15A plug. Easily accommodated by most cable companies.
I agree. (However there are folks who disagree about the safety of doing so.)

In my view, if you know you are not going to pull even 15 amps from the unit.. I would say go ahead.
Pangea recently introduced 20 amp style IEC end with the 'standard' 15 amp wall end powercords.
Years a go i swapped the 20 amp IEC receptical in my Furman REF20i conditioner to a 15 amp heavy duty IEC so I could use an aftermarket powercord... (clearly I am not worried)

zoom25

Thanks for the replies guys. I will start a thread on the Bryston circle to get feedback from Bryston and other users as well. I have some other questions I want to run by, such as AVR and suppression, and list of gear that I currently have and might consider in the future.

drummermitchell

I have to say looking at audioaficiando site (over the years),there have been lots of no happy customers with ps audio units(just sayin)
I have had my Torus(s)for ..................yrs not one problem...end of story :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:,I could keep going but why???????????? :D.

drummermitchell

no audio suppression here or compression,Torus or BIT,well worth it for the music.

abanks8

While new to the Torus product, I totally agree with the comment above. Almost immediately improvement in my music playback.

Big Red Machine

It makes no sense to buy a 20 amp product and plug it into a 15 amp circuit. You have wasted your money. Buy the 15 amp version or put in a 20 amp circuit. Remember that you will never use 15 or 20 amps as the breaker probably trips at 80%.

Measure your system current draw. It is ridiculously lower than you think it is. Odds are that a 15 amp product is more than enough.

Elizabeth

It makes no sense ...
Measure your system current draw. It is ridiculously lower than you think it is. Odds are that a 15 amp product is more than enough.

Ahh, many who use power conditioners mention it is really best to use them only well below their limit for best sound.
The rated to 20 amps conditioner would never even know the wall could only produce 15 amps.. if it never 'asks' for more than ..say ten amps...
So I say your 'concern' is 'noted' but of little value.

werd

I have to say looking at audioaficiando site (over the years),there have been lots of no happy customers with ps audio units(just sayin)
I have had my Torus(s)for ..................yrs not one problem...end of story :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:,I could keep going but why???????????? :D.

You ever start up that laundry mat with all that 240 you got?  :D

Big Red Machine

The rated to 20 amps conditioner would never even know the wall could only produce 15 amps.. if it never 'asks' for more than ..say ten amps...
So I say your 'concern' is 'noted' but of little value.

You made my point. Why buy a 20 amp unit then? Pay less for the 15 amp unit and enjoy. And he'll never use 10 amps either. But having the headroom in the unit is needed in my book to handle the transients so the tranny has time to recover if you put the entire system through it.
I never said I was concerned about safety in this scenario as it is unlikely to ever be a problem. It is an economics and practicality issue.
And the 20 amp unit does not need an adapter cable as the 20 amp unit has a standard plug without the dogleg 20 amp-only feature. Easily seen in the owners manual on-line.

zoom25

The 15 amp circuit was in reference to my desktop rig that's upstairs. For my main rig that I'll be building in the future from scratch, I'll likely be getting a 20 amp circuit and that will be drawing more power than my desktop rig. So I would like to future proof it if possible if there aren't any safety issues.

Phil A

The 15 amp circuit was in reference to my desktop rig that's upstairs. For my main rig that I'll be building in the future from scratch, I'll likely be getting a 20 amp circuit and that will be drawing more power than my desktop rig. So I would like to future proof it if possible if there aren't any safety issues.

I have an old Torus RM20.  At the time (many years back), it was only $200 more than the RM15.  So I used it in the old house with the adapter/power cord (20 amp IEC to 15 amp plug) that came with it.  When I moved into the new place (a few years back), I had them put a 20 amp circuit for it.  So my thought process was similar to yours.

drummermitchell

Werd,no commercial laundry mat yet,but  seems now the neon lights in down town Hong Kong are a lot  brighter now running 240v.
reminds me with my Bryston 7sst's+4Bssts with one Torus(15a)and a few DD-15's
The 15a sounded the same as the  shunyatas I had ..6 and 2's nothing...just like the wall,which I believe the 10a couldn't handle the five Brystons.
Adding the 20a and splitting the amps and subs between the 15a and 20a was a HUGE difference.
Thats why with the now 28's and 7 up front with the 1812 sub(WOOF..WOOF) we went 240v and a 60a T jus cuz
Back rack is 20a 240v T as it handles 2 x7bsst2,BDA -2 BDP-2,JVC projector,Mutec,Oppo,Arcam ect.
Totally at ease and so is the music,can you say effortless with Slam.
Little James Brown...Rock my Soul
Content with what I have,except I have been experimenting with commercial amps...Crown ect.