Camera recommendation $500 range

santacore

Camera recommendation $500 range
« on: 12 Aug 2014, 07:58 pm »
Hey all,

Both our cameras(Canon Rebel XTI and Nikon P&S) recently died so I'm looking for a replacement new/used in the $500 range. We are casual photographers, so don't need anything too fancy, but of course image quality is of top importance. Something that's not to big and does well in low level light. Right now, the only one's on my radar are the Sony RX100 and the Fujifilm X100 thanks to this board.

If any AC'ers have a camera that they want to sell that fits this description, please PM me.

bside123

Re: Camera recommendation $500 range
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2014, 08:38 pm »
Hey all,

Both our cameras(Canon Rebel XTI and Nikon P&S) recently died so I'm looking for a replacement new/used in the $500 range. We are casual photographers, so don't need anything too fancy, but of course image quality is of top importance. Something that's not to big and does well in low level light. Right now, the only one's on my radar are the Sony RX100 and the Fujifilm X100 thanks to this board.

If any AC'ers have a camera that they want to sell that fits this description, please PM me.

Hi:

I own both of these cameras, and they are both outstanding... each in their own way. That being said, they are very different animals. Depending on your needs/desires, it would best to make a decision that really suits what you believe that you'll be photographing in real life. How will you use the camera? These days, $500 can buy a lot of camera... both new and preowned. Can you clarify your needs/desires a little more before asking for recommendations? Tell us what you're looking for... It would be helpful for you to be clear, as well as for those of us that might help you make a decision.

Otherwise, when you're ready and if you should really be deciding between the two cameras you mentioned, I can offer my opinions on the Fujifilm X100 & the Sony RX100MKII.

Best regards.

santacore

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2014, 08:57 pm »
Hi bside, thanks for the input so far. Your pictures using the previously mentioned camera's were what put those on my radar. I just love the way your portraits come out, especially in less then ideal low light situations!!

As I mentioned I'm looking for a small format digital camera. Primary uses will be to photograph family events such as family gatherings, school performances, and general life. Often this are in low light settings, so a camera that does well with that would be best. We do like to travel too, so I'm sure it would be used for some landscape shots as well. Both my wife and are novices, so the camera needs to be fairly point and shoot, although I would like some more advanced options as I get more involved in the hobby. With our Cannon Rebel XTI we almost always stuck with the stock lens and flash, so a 1 piece unit would probably be best.

Thanks again for trying to help!

bside123

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2014, 10:21 pm »
Would you like a fixed lens that can zoom from "wide angle" to "telephoto"? Or... might you appreciate learning how to change lenses for use in different applications? Do want to be able to stick the camera in your pocket, or is wearing it okay?

santacore

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2014, 10:49 pm »
Would you like a fixed lens that can zoom from "wide angle" to "telephoto"? Or... might you appreciate learning how to change lenses for use in different applications? Do want to be able to stick the camera in your pocket, or is wearing it okay?

A good fixed lens would be best. Pocket size would be ideal, but for the right camera I might be open to something larger like a traditional DSLR similar to my old Canon.

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2014, 11:17 pm »
Hey!

You've just missed out on a close out on Sony NEX 6 for $500 with kit zoom lens.

Well, if you want a compact than Sony RX100 or the II might fit what you need, not sure how much those cost now. But I have to say personally the new RX100 III sound like a perfect compact for me with built in viewfinder and more importantly with the new 24-70mm 35mm equivalent zoom. I have a 24-70mm f2.8 zoom on for my DSLR and it stay on the camera for most of the time. Anyway sadly the RX100 III is $800.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2014, 11:28 pm »
Hey!

You've just missed out on a close out on Sony NEX 6 for $500 with kit zoom lens.

Well, if you want a compact than Sony RX100 or the II might fit what you need, not sure how much those cost now. But I have to say personally the new RX100 III sound like a perfect compact for me with built in viewfinder and more importantly with the new 24-70mm 35mm equivalent zoom. I have a 24-70mm f2.8 zoom on for my DSLR and it stay on the camera for most of the time. Anyway sadly the RX100 III is $800.

Take care,

I was also just perusing eBay for a camera for my nephew.  He's to study graphic design in college, so I "advised" him he should take up photography.  I promised a graduation present for him (with an evil mind and a precondition!).  I had my eye on the RX100, since I'm cheap (cheaper if I buy a replaced model....).  The RX100 with a Zeiss lens can be had for less than $400, not a bad deal.....  Check out eBay.

Emil

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2014, 10:31 am »

I've held the Sony RX100 in my hand and it is tiny. Maybe  too small IMHO

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2014, 11:23 am »

Good point!

bside123

« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2014, 02:18 pm »

The Sony RX100 series is very small. Literally, small enough to put in a pocket. The camera has a Carl Zeiss 1:8 lens & a 1" sensor... very impressive. The RX100 is a very sophisticated piece of equipment and hosts a tremendous variety of features... maybe too many. Yet, after the learning curve, they become more intuitive and deliver great results. This is a great travel camera and is rather inconspicuous for street shots or sensitive situations in travel destinations. The camera is fast, works well in low light with high ISO and delivers great images, BUT it is very small. It might be the smallest, "high-end" camera with zoom in its class. If you don't want to take a full size camera, or even wear a smaller camera around your shoulder, you can put the RX100 in your jacket pocket, larger jeans or pants pocket! Wrist straps also help as well as applying a grip.

Here's my RX100MKII all dressed up with wrist strap, grip and removable viewfinder. Of course, I don't use the viewfinder if I am carrying the camera in my pocket. As a matter of fact, I don't use the viewfinder on the camera much at all. The camera has multiple display settings that help in bright sunlight.

Sony RX100MK2

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2014, 02:56 pm »
The Sony RX100 series is very small. Literally, small enough to put in a pocket. The camera has a Carl Zeiss 1:8 lens & a 1" sensor... very impressive. The RX100 is a very sophisticated piece of equipment and hosts a tremendous variety of features... maybe too many. Yet, after the learning curve, they become more intuitive and deliver great results. This is a great travel camera and is rather inconspicuous for street shots or sensitive situations in travel destinations. The camera is fast, works well in low light with high ISO and delivers great images, BUT it is very small. It might be the smallest, "high-end" camera with zoom in its class. If you don't want to take a full size camera, or even wear a smaller camera around your shoulder, you can put the RX100 in your jacket pocket, larger jeans or pants pocket! Wrist straps also help as well as applying a grip.

Here's my RX100MKII all dressed up with wrist strap, grip and removable viewfinder. Of course, I don't use the viewfinder if I am carrying the camera in my pocket. As a matter of fact, I don't use the viewfinder on the camera much at all. The camera has multiple display settings that help in bright sunlight.

Sony RX100MK2

The viewfinder perhaps is a necessary evil.  In a bright outdoor environment, those Point-and-Shooters' LCD display will not be a friend to your eye so you may compose your shot easily.  The viewfinder will be beneficial, like using a SLR, you just put your eye over the viewfinder to find your object of desire..., then press the exposure button for that perfect shot.

bside123

« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2014, 03:31 pm »
The viewfinder perhaps is a necessary evil.  In a bright outdoor environment, those Point-and-Shooters' LCD display will not be a friend to your eye so you may compose your shot easily.  The viewfinder will be beneficial, like using a SLR, you just put your eye over the viewfinder to find your object of desire..., then press the exposure button for that perfect shot.

I found that I have NOT used the viewfinder nearly as much as I thought I would when I decided to purchase it. I'm happy to have it, but really, it doesn't get much use... even in sunshine and daylight. Given the option to have the viewfinder available or not... I would definitely chose to have it available just in case. The MKIII apparently has a built-in viewfinder, but I have yet to hold the camera in my hands.

Here's a sweet snapshot taken with the RX100MII. This is from one of my recent trips abroad and was shot in broad daylight without the viewfinder.

Village Kids

ThuanDB

« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2014, 05:09 pm »
Coming from Rebel XTi and Nikon P&S, I think you should look into the Canon SL1 body and a prime 50mm II.

bside123

Scott F.

« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2014, 09:22 pm »
Not to sound like a Sony fanboy but Din is right about this little Sony. I bought it on his recommendation and I was not disappointed in the least. I love my big Canon with it's expensive glass but since I've picked this up, the Canon is collecting dust. That's how good this little camera is.

Rather than the hand grip, I went for the old school look of a leather case;

With the case on, there is plenty to grip, even with my big fat paws.

It's a kick ass little camera.

santacore

« Reply #15 on: 30 Aug 2014, 02:30 am »
I'm still strongly considering the Sony RX100. Does anyone have an opinion on the MKI vs. MKII vs. MKIII? Obviously the price goes up with each revision.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #16 on: 30 Aug 2014, 06:02 am »
There is a chart comparing the Mks I, II and III here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-m3

I think it's worth reading the comments below the chart. It seems that in some ways the Mk II is preferable, at least in image quality. It's also available for substantially less money.

I chose the Ricoh GR over the Sony and have not regretted it. It's a more limited camera in many ways but the potential image quality is what sold me.

I did look long and hard at the Sony, though. Once I became familiar with the Ricoh I went back to a camera store and held the Sony.
I much preferred the look and feel of the Ricoh.

Image quality aside, though, it's hard to argue with the versatility of the Sony.

bside123

« Reply #17 on: 30 Aug 2014, 02:38 pm »
The Ricoh GR can produce some very exceptional images, and yes, it is probably less versatile than the Sony RX100 series. The buyer will have to carefully weigh the pros and cons depending upon their need and shooting style. Neither camera is a "slouch" in the image department, however. Here's a page from Gary Friedman's "The Friedman Archives Blog." Gary is one of the world's foremost authorities on Sony gear. He's a highly respected photographer and educator on all aspects of photography. On the page, he discusses feedback and some comparisons regarding the RX100 series.

http://friedmanarchives.blogspot.com/2014/08/a-love-letter-to-rx-100-all-3-models.html

Here's another Sony RX100MKII photo. It was taken on a cold, early morning winter day.

Cern's Barn

SET Man

« Reply #18 on: 13 Sep 2014, 03:30 am »
Hey!

Not as small as the Sony RX100 but not as big as a small DSLR....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301304467923?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D%26_mPrRngCbx%3D1%26_udlo%3D%26_udhi%3D%26_sop%3D12%26_fpos%3D%26_fspt%3D1%26_sadis%3D%26LH_CAds%3D%26_nkw%3D301304467923%26_rdc%3D1

.....or at you budget $500 but for $650 I think it is a great camera for the money. And you have option of better wide range of lenses. 

Take care,

santacore

« Reply #19 on: 13 Sep 2014, 04:29 am »
Thanks again for all the suggestions folks! I ended up getting a Sony dsc-hx50v. The price was right, it's a good size, and more zoom options then the RX100. I know it's not nearly as good as the RX100, but for my family's needs it should work just fine.