New project - RCM ** Finished at last! **

TimF

Re: New project - RCM - updated with pix
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jan 2015, 03:43 pm »
Rob, I use my Naim Uniti as a source component when the Obs/Plinius are in the mix. Typically streaming music from NAS drive I find the quality extremely good and really have not even considered changing that part. But getting back to my older analog roots gives me fits, I struggle with the expenditure, yet also in the same moment realize that it is an awfully great medium for music and I miss it. It would be easier if I still had all my hundreds of LP's, but sadly, during my divorce ten years ago, they went along with all my hifi. So....

Yes, in all honesty, the Plinius is a wonderful integrated and drives the Obs very well, I really have nothing to complain about here. I have some Mogami speaker cable and interconnects coming to try as well for what that is worth. Baby steps, but it will all come together. 

threadkiller

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jan 2015, 04:34 pm »
Hi Tim....
Sounds like you have a good start. I love Naim streaming, some of the best I've heard. Although Rob's right, the table still rules. Depends now on if you want to start buying records again. You sound like you've had some difficulties... records can alleviate some of that, like visiting with old friends. Digital will never give you that. And records become more of a "focus" while you're playing them. It might be something you need in your life.
Not sure if the Plinius is the weak spot here. The Plinius guy uses Hawks, so should be a good match. The Obs are difficult, in that they are so particular about what you pair them with. They're also not their best in every room. They like Mogami, so that's a good inexpensive matchup.
I'm going to slightly disagree with the most knowledgable Rob here, you might want to try the new DV gear with them if you can.  It's the best I know of for them, and that'll let you hear the differences of the Plinius. And you can use the Mogami as a constant.
Then maybe a table?

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #22 on: 2 Jan 2015, 04:47 pm »
Nice advise Charlie. Plus I don't mind being corrected especially when it's recommending the amps I use
Now Tim you could then do with finding a nice pre digital 1000 + mint condition LP collection, mainly 1st pressings being sold off somewhere on the cheap. I'm salivating (and dreaming) at the thought :D
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2015, 06:20 pm by rob400 »

TimF

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jan 2015, 06:05 pm »
You guys! It is all fun and games until you spend someone else's money-Hah! No, I do appreciate the thoughts, and maybe we need to somehow start a Shahinian Circle here instead of me hijacking GE's thread about a cool RCM build-sorry for this! But really, when discussing Obelisks/Shahinian, it is hard to find the right mix of individuals without some huge tangent. So again, appreciate the thoughts here.

I have thought that trying the DV amps is a good place to start for me, one it gives me the insight as to whether or not that expenditure is worth putting forth over the Plinius, which I know is an older model, but is in tip-top shape and a recommendation even from Richard S. himself.

I also realize that there can always be a better source(and amplification for that matter) no matter if it is replacing my Uniti, and/or also going to back to vinyl. It will be hard for me to make many jumps and I have to start somewhere. So open minded I am at the moment(and still trying to figure out the monetary end as well), but feel like I should keep the system constant and changing one thing at a time. I know my Uniti and Plinius with the Obs well at this point, so we shall see about the amp end. It just might have to wait a few weeks for me to get done with my work schedule that consumes too much of my time right at the moment, and I do want to give them a very fair shake.

Thanks again guys, now back to the RCM build....

G E

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2015, 08:22 pm »
OK, here is an update on the project.  I successfully drilled the 1.25" hole for the wand / tower assembly.  That was nerve-wracking as the hole center distance to the platter spindle center is critical.  Happily it worked out well.  Today I drilled the 3 holes for the mounting screw for this assembly.  Again, precision was needed and thankfully attained.

Here are some pics:

I ordered an Ametek Lamb vacuum motor, based on research it is the one used in the VPI Typhoon.  Here it is:

Tomorrow is a day off with mostly sunny skies and 61F predicted so I will pull out the table saw and build the box for my RCM.  My plywood has some nice grain so a stain and varnish would be nice.  But I might go for a high gloss piano black finish.  If I decide to polish the aluminum deck to a mirror finish (rather than paint it), the black / silver would complement my audio gear nicely.  Speakers and amp stand and Pioneer plasma are piano black, most of my gear is silver.  But high gloss surfaces can be a real b*tch to get right....

And I am still sorting out the details of the vacuum system.  I spent some time in the plumbing section at a big box hardware store and local chain yesterday, a few ideas are taking shape...

More later as I hit project milestones!

G E

« Reply #25 on: 5 Mar 2015, 01:04 am »
Took some time off this project due to new job but started in on it again a couple weeks back. Been making lots of sawdust but have forward momentum.  Still have significant details to sort out. I did buy a linear 12v dc power supply for the platter drive motor. Overkill but cheap from eBay.  I need to order the electrical stuff and finalize the suction parts.  A couple solid days effort should get me over the hump.

xsb7244

« Reply #26 on: 29 Apr 2015, 05:21 pm »
any progress?

G E

« Reply #27 on: 4 May 2015, 03:47 am »
any progress?

Not much progress to report. Life has a way of sorting priorities: complicated taxes this year, spring yard work, an uncle's funeral out of state, a sprained wrist ( much improved) and surprise social agenda courtesey of my Mrs. have all contributed to a lack of momentum.

I have gathered several parts for the vacuum system and hope to have something more substantial to report soon.

Thanks for asking!

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #28 on: 14 May 2015, 02:50 pm »
For those of you with Vacuum record cleaners I'd seriously recommend that you look at the Audio Intelligence Vinyl Solutions cleaning fluid for your machines. An excellent Charlie (threadkiller) recommendation again. I've started using it with my VPI 16.5 and the reduced surface noise, extra clarity and dynamics are clearly audible!

threadkiller

« Reply #29 on: 14 May 2015, 08:01 pm »
Well well, I see those golden ears of Leeds are once again on the money...
When I recently sold my VPI 16.5, I had loads of various brands of cleaning fluids. The best for all of us was A.I.  There could be something else out there.
Yet the ultra sonic is superb, so no going back.

Happy listening!

Ps... to all you belt breakers out there.. a new hypothesis of some is that some of you overstretch the belt when putting on? Just a hunch....

G E

« Reply #30 on: 17 May 2015, 01:12 am »
Back on my the project. Have some time again until my next gig starts. Working on mounting the internal vacuum unit.  Need to get that done and can address the holding tank(s) and connections. Looking forward to getting to the wiring stage. 

My brother in law gave me a pump and will see if I can use it to run a liquid dispenser like the Typhoon. This is going to be a heavy mofo...

G E

« Reply #31 on: 5 Jul 2015, 08:58 pm »
I had time to work on my RCM project and have some pix to share.

Here is a view of the back/ underside of the unit.

Here is the support for the vacuum motor.  VPI cuts a slot and lets the core of the vacuum motor rest in that.  I cut a circle with tabs to allow the motor to be inserted.  I have special screws that will cut threads into the plastic motor housing thereby securing it.  May not be needed as you will see in the shots following I have a good compression fit.  Rubber gaskets will be used to seal the connection.  Gasket holes were made with a punch set that I got for another project, the Cornet2 phono preamp.  Nice that I got to use it again.  I also have a foam gasket that attaches to the vacuum housing

Interior detail.  No electrical connections made, I still need to execute the order I have sitting on Mouser for the switches, etc.  I found a cool retro pilot light in my junk box, and will mount it on the front panel.  The plastic box I got to use as the fluid capture tank is just a little too big so it will go to the kitchen and I will go back to the drawing board.  Probably get a waterproof project box from ebay.  The 12 v dc power supply for platter motor is not pictured.  The hole for the fan has not yet been cut.  Not sure if I will put it on the back or on the side.

And here is the top side view. 

Once I have every thing hooked up and confirmed operational, I will take it all apart, fill holes etc, sand it down and paint it.  A friend suggested I have the top plate anodized.  I was planning to sand and polish it to high gloss finish.  Not sure which way to go yet.

G E

Re: New project - RCM - "IT'S ALIVE!"
« Reply #32 on: 29 Jul 2015, 02:32 am »
After many months I have my functional RCM prototype!  I can't begin to calculate the number of laps I swam while planning this out.  Or the number of late nights searching threads and images to figure out my best approach.

Originally this was going to be a cheap knock-off of the venerable VPI 16.5.  That idea grew into a vision of a Typhoon-16.5 hybrid (reversible direction platter, Typhoon vacuum motor) with some features deleted (auto fluid application) and more worthy ones added (half inch aluminum plinth).  And in time, ideas were borrowed from Okki Nokki and Moth. 

There is still much to do with electrical wiring and permanently re-building the cabinet.  There will substantial effort yet for finishing.  But here is what where i stand tonight:

Top view of the machine with VPI acrylic platter, VPI spindle and VPI 16.6 upgrade kit (tube assembly).  The platter is not fixed to the motor spindle.  I just turned it by hand tonight to test the vacuum system.  The noise was not overwhelming.  No doubt the aluminum deck and sturdy bracing for the motor contribute to the lower than anticipated sound level.

This is the fluid capture tank.  This was the most challenging part of design.  I don't care for the VPI approach with the vacuum connected directly to the tank via orifice.  I saw lots of pix of water damaged wafer board and rusted out vacuums.  No thanks. 

Moth had an interesting approach that used a plastic hobby box and PVC piping for the vacuum tower and drain, but the vacuum was created via a sponge-filtered slot in the fluid capture container, the latter being in an air-tight sealed section of the main cabinet.  I thought vacuum power would be diminished.

Okki Nokki gave me the idea for the food container receptacle for the fluid capture tank.  I don't recall if they used the VPI or Moth approach to creating a vacuum.  I decided to go a different route.

In my system, water is pulled from the record surface via the VPI Vacuum Tower and is dropped directly into the fluid capture tank.  The vacuum pipe (PVC)  runs out the top of the tank and directly to the intake orifice of the vaccum motor.  The inlet and outlet pipes hold the fluid capture tank in place.

BTW, my plan to remove used solution is by turkey baster or similar via the Vaccum Tower orifice.  I don't care for drain tubes and the possibility for leaving them unplugged allowing fluid to be inhaled by the vaccum.  Unacceptable design flaw from a user experience viewpoint.

The following are bottom view pix of the vacuum system.

I put on a crummy record for the test run and thoroughly soaked it.  Set the water pick up tube over the record, plugged it in, down it goes and I spin the record by hand and watch the water disappear.  Amazing!  It Works!  It Sucks!

Next question:  did water stay where it is supposed to and not get into the vacuum?  I checked the board under the RCM.  Dry.  I gingerly tilted up the box and looked at the fluid capture tank.... water!  But no moisture around the vacuum motor outlets or elsewhere.  I took out the tank and inspected the outbound tube... bone dry!  Success!

So now I need to add switch gear, fuses, 12v dc power supply for turntable motor and a pilot light and some vents and a fan or two and I will be just about home.  I'll post more as I progress and perhaps even do a video on her debut.

TimF

« Reply #33 on: 29 Jul 2015, 08:43 am »
Looks good, and hopefully works as well as you would like it too. Isn't it amazing though how much planning and thought goes into some of these DIY projects, and also how rewarding it can be? Thanks for taking us along on your trip here, will be watching for the finished project. Enjoy!  :thumb:

G E

« Reply #34 on: 10 Aug 2015, 04:27 am »
Here is the detail of the switch panel.  3 toggle switches control 12V DC supply for platter, forward/reverse switch for platter rotation and vacuum motor.  I may add a 12V DC outlet to power ... whatever.  May as well tap in, I have a high quality linear power supply.

The second row features a vintage pilot light.  Currently has a filament bulb but planning to replace it with a Red LED for greater reliability.  The LED will mount behind the glass and hopefully provide a ruby red glow.

The two big knurled knobs are waterproof fuse holders from Littelfuse.  I'd have to be pretty sloppy to get much solution down the front ... probably more likely to spill an IPA ... but what the heck, it's my project and already has elements of wretched excess.

As it turned out, there was more to this switch control panel than anticipated.  I wanted to use plexiglass and maybe use some effects lighting with purple (!) LED's, but drilling the first large hole in the plexiglass turned out poorly - cracked it.  I went with 1/4" birch plywood I got from Michaels.  Having spent quite a bit of time laying out the drilling pattern on the plexiglass I thought I'd use it as a pattern for the plywood.  Yup, I got it turned around and the hole pattern was reversed and flipped.  These pix feature successful Rev3.

The Littelfuse fuse holders are for use with panels having a maximum depth of 3/16" so i needed to trim out some material with my Dremel and various bits and grinders.  As I grind away I idly wonder, is this how my dentist got his start?

I spent a ridiculous amount of time this weekend on this small part of the project, but it turned out well in the end.  I need to get washers and lock washers for the toggle switches, with any luck I may have some in the parts bin.  It might be fun to get some rubber boots for the switches as well.

This fits just as planned in the hole I cut in the front panel of the RCM case.  In the next couple days I will cut the exhaust port and fan mounting holes and cut some additional passive port holes in the bottom panel aligning with the vacuum motor.  Then I will drill the mounting holes for the power supply and configure the wiring harness.  And then rebuild the case and move on to the the finishing aspect.  That is the part of the project I least look forward to.

Stay tuned!

G E

« Reply #35 on: 22 Aug 2015, 01:14 am »
Update-

First pass sanding of all boards and have finished the construction of the box. I am now filling holes and gaps with plastic wood. Should be done with paint prep sanding this weekend.  I decided to go with a satin black finish.  I also sanded the aluminum deck with medium grit paper and will continue with finer grits this weekend.  It will be polished to a high gloss.

G E

« Reply #36 on: 19 Sep 2015, 01:03 am »
More developments ... Imminently!

G E

« Reply #37 on: 23 Sep 2015, 02:52 am »
Things are moving along again.  Had another project that sidetracked this one - had some speaker driver replacements that ended up being much involving than anticipated.  Anyone seeing a trend here....?

A few shots to show progress as of tonight.

Painting this thing was a b*tch.  i used Valspar Black Satin Micro Spray. The stuff drifts all over, even if you set up a spray booth.  I have black shadows on basement concrete floor 10 feet away from the booth!  Have hit some of it with a wire brush and it comes up fairly readily.  But i will NEVER use this Valspar spray paint again.  I used Rustoleum Primer and Satin Black products for that other project and the finish was better and it did not drift. 

Here are the parts after letting the paint cure for 2-3 weeks.  The Valspar instructions said OK to recoat immediately within an hour or after 24 hours.  I have about 4 coats on it.  the bare wood sucked it in even though this was allegedly primer+paint product.  Stupid attempt at short cut on my part.  But it looks great and is finally no longer tacky.

This past weekend I spent several hours sanding the aluminum deck and then polishing it with some Meguiars automotive products.  Turned out well, just as I had imagined it.  Pix of this later.

And yesterday and today I wired up the control panel and started fitting pieces together.

And this evening I hooked up electrical parts and motors for a dry run.  It all works - no small explosion, fire or electrocution so i am on track.
I do have a wire management plan so the end result will look tidy and be safe.
I also will have a star grounding scheme to tie all grounds together: vacuum motor, platter motor, aluminum deck, 12 vdc linear PS and 120 VAC mains.  Absolutely essential!

BTW, I replaced the filament bulb in the vintage pilot light with a cherry red LED.  Had to kinda rig up a way to hold the LED in place (used a grommet - LED fit through the hole and the grommet fits inside the pilot light housing), insulate the legs of the device and add a voltage dropping resistor.  I thought about using the purple LED I got by I decided to keep this retro red.

And the pics below doesn't do justice to the that pretty red.

Stay tuned, I might be cleaning records by this weekend!

/mp

Re: New project - RCM ** 22 Sep 2015 Update with Pix **
« Reply #38 on: 23 Sep 2015, 06:04 am »
Project coming along nicely, albeit slowly. Thanks for sharing.

TimF

Re: New project - RCM ** 22 Sep 2015 Update with Pix **
« Reply #39 on: 23 Sep 2015, 10:05 am »
Great job, will be watching/waiting to hear how the cleaning part does. Good thing is, it seems things are very tweakable!