1801's bound for Oregon GTG

jsalk

1801's bound for Oregon GTG
« on: 4 Sep 2010, 07:56 pm »
RJ and Joe are sponsoring another GTG in Oregon this year.  Sorry we can't make it, but Dennis Murphy will be there.

Yesterday we shipped a pair to OR for the event.  Here are some pics...

And a close-up...

Have a great time on the 18th and happy listening!

- Jim

newzooreview

Re: 1801's bound for Oregon GTG
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2010, 12:24 am »
RJ and Joe are sponsoring another GTG in Oregon this year.  Sorry we can't make it, but Dennis Murphy will be there.

Yesterday we shipped a pair to OR for the event.  Here are some pics...

Have a great time on the 18th and happy listening!

- Jim

That finish is hypnotizing. What is it?

highfilter

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2010, 12:31 am »
That finish is hypnotizing. What is it?

From the Salk Facebook account... "1801's in cinnamon burl with "guitar burst" darker edges".

Mudslide

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2010, 03:14 am »
These are absolutely stunning in the photo.  We can't wait to see them in person...not to mention hear them!   If these are anything like the floorstanders you brought last year, we're all in for a superb treat.  By the way, if this pair doesn't make it back to Michigan, you can reach me in Brazil.   :D

We'll definitely miss you and Mary this year, Jim.  But we sure appreciate your continued support and sponsorship.  And we'll try to keep track of that wild and crazy guy, Dennis.   :lol:

funkmonkey

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2010, 03:24 am »
 :thumb: :thumb:  they sure do look sweet.  If they get there early enough the rest of the guys may have to pry RJ off of them so they can be included in the comparo!  :lol:  Best of luck with the event Mud, I'm with you guys in spirit, even if I can't make it in body.

Cheers,
Greg

Mudslide

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2010, 04:00 am »
:thumb: :thumb:  they sure do look sweet.  If they get there early enough the rest of the guys may have to pry RJ off of them so they can be included in the comparo!  :lol:  Best of luck with the event Mud, I'm with you guys in spirit, even if I can't make it in body.

Cheers,
Greg

Thanks, Greg.  We need to get you up here sometime before your daughter graduates from college!   :whip: 

mchuckp

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2010, 07:02 am »
Jim said I get to take them home after the show. $10, right Jim?  :icon_lol:

Looking forward to hearing them.

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2010, 11:56 am »
Jim said I get to take them home after the show. $10, right Jim?  :icon_lol:

That is correct.  $10 per month for many years to come.

- Jim

Kinger

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2010, 03:39 pm »
I think if that type of payment plan was available I'd take it :)  Another fantastic finish by Jim and crew.

mchuckp

« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2010, 03:56 pm »
I think if that type of payment plan was available I'd take it :)  Another fantastic finish by Jim and crew.

I concur.  Wouldn't it be sweet to just be able to lease audio gear!  Those of us with audio ADD would be quite happy.  :D

bigjppop

« Reply #10 on: 6 Sep 2010, 06:02 am »
10 bucks a month... I'm sold too!

And the comment about Audio ADD and leasing... classic!  I couldn't agree more.  I can be very easily classified as having audio ADD.

dhanks

« Reply #11 on: 6 Sep 2010, 06:22 am »
Are these available for purchase?  The size is perfect.  I need something that fits underneath my projection screen.  The SongTowers are too high.

rahimlee54

« Reply #12 on: 6 Sep 2010, 11:17 am »
Are these available for purchase?  The size is perfect.  I need something that fits underneath my projection screen.  The SongTowers are too high.

You can get anything that physics allows, call Jim he will make it happen if possible on any speaker.  Gotta love custom work  :thumb:.  And the finish looks excellent, sure they sound good.

Kinger

« Reply #13 on: 6 Sep 2010, 11:47 am »
I always thought this was the way the 1801's were offered up until the TL cabinet was made for them.  Pretty sure Jim makes them in either flavor much like he does with the HT2 design which can be either a bookshelf or a floorstander. (As well as being offered in a TL design.)

Here is a link to them on Jim's website..............http://www.salksound.com/ellis%201801b%20-%20home.htm

jsalk

« Reply #14 on: 6 Sep 2010, 02:15 pm »

Actually, the Ellis 1801's was the design that got me started building speakers in the first place.  I have always loved this speaker and have built them for years.  When Dave decided to discontinue building or offering these, I asked him for permission to continue building them.  He basically turned the design over to us.  Dennis re-worked the crossover for the current version of the W18 and we announced the 1801-TL version at the same time.  We hope to be building this speaker for many years to come.  It is a classic.

- Jim

fsimms

« Reply #15 on: 6 Sep 2010, 04:36 pm »
Actually, the Ellis 1801's was the design that got me started building speakers in the first place.  I have always loved this speaker and have built them for years.  When Dave decided to discontinue building or offering these, I asked him for permission to continue building them.  He basically turned the design over to us.  Dennis re-worked the crossover for the current version of the W18 and we announced the 1801-TL version at the same time.  We hope to be building this speaker for many years to come.  It is a classic.

The 1801 was what lead me to Jim and my wonderful speaker journey.  I am slow, but it took me a long time to realize the special charms of the 1801.   With the same tweeter as the SongTowers, I bet it images close to the SongTowers.   If that is so, then with the large reduced price compared to the HT1, it would have a very special place.  A true classic.

Bob

dhanks

« Reply #16 on: 6 Sep 2010, 09:46 pm »
Is it possible to make these 1801s attach to my custom speaker stands?  These are made out of real cherry stock and I've had them for quite a while.

You can see the generic mounting hardware I have installed at the top.  Simple ball-joint with I believe a 1/2" or 3/8" bolt with lock nut.

Entire piece stands at 23" and the usable space from the base up to the ball-joint is 16.5"

I've filled the base with iron weights and sand.  The stand weights about 30lbs.

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 6 Sep 2010, 11:49 pm »
Is it possible to make these 1801s attach to my custom speaker stands?  These are made out of real cherry stock and I've had them for quite a while.

You can see the generic mounting hardware I have installed at the top.  Simple ball-joint with I believe a 1/2" or 3/8" bolt with lock nut.

I don't see why not.  We would need to know the actual diameter and the number of threads per inch.  We would just install an insert that would accept it.

We could even try and match the color.

- Jim

dhanks

« Reply #18 on: 7 Sep 2010, 03:24 am »
How long does it take to make a pair of these?

I currently have a pair of Song Towers - do you accept trade ins?

jsalk

« Reply #19 on: 7 Sep 2010, 03:04 pm »
How long does it take to make a pair of these?

I would say about 45 days.

I currently have a pair of Song Towers - do you accept trade ins?

Trade-ins make sense when moving up in price.  For example, we have quite a few people who have traded SongTowers in on HT2-TL's.  But on a lateral move, it really isn't feasible.  We can certainly help you try and sell the SongTowers.

- Jim