Best streaming service?

randytsuch

Best streaming service?
« on: 8 Sep 2017, 08:50 pm »
I know it's Tidal, but I refuse to pay $20 a month for their premium service.

I might go for $10 a month, but really would prefer to keep in under $5.

Really want something to help find new music and musicians, similar to what I like, so pretty basic.

So what do you guys like?

Randy

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Re: Best streaming service?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2017, 09:25 pm »
Spotify

GerryD

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2017, 09:27 pm »
I recently bought a Bluesound Node 2 and I'm using it to stream Spotify Premium. I've been very pleased with the jazz selections that are available and the sound quality.

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2017, 09:30 pm »
I recently bought a Bluesound Node 2 and I'm using it to stream Spotify Premium. I've been very pleased with the jazz selections that are available and the sound quality.

The Node is great, very easy to use with Spotify and we may see Spotify offering MQA tracks in the near future which the Node can unfold.

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2017, 09:43 pm »
I have used spotify in the past, so maybe I'll give it a go.
Maybe do a family plan with my kids.

Any other suggestions?

Randy

JDoyle

« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2017, 12:32 am »
I plan to go with Tidal very soon... But I'm crazy like most here. I just think that the $20/mo. is poor marketing. It's a roadblock for many because it starts with a 2. I'm not suggesting $19.99, but they'd get way more subscribers @ $15.00 for certain (imho) and probably be more profitable if they did. (Are you listening Jay Z?)

JD

JackD

« Reply #6 on: 9 Sep 2017, 12:55 am »
It is $19.99 or at least that's what they bill me.  If the addition if MQA titles continues to grow with additional labels and they get their server and bandwidth issues fixed you can expect the price to go up with all three major label groups on board.  The price going down is not likely to be something you will see.  If you just want to listen before you buy and "quality" is not the concern just use free Spotify.  For Tidal if you are ex-military or have a college student in house it is less than $19.99.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 9 Sep 2017, 01:08 am »
Randy,

I almost didn't post because you seem disinterested in Tidal. However, I can't keep my mouth shut, so here I am.  :)

I've subscribed to Tidal premium for close to two years now, and I'm delighted with it. I have discovered dozens of artists, and continue to explore new ones. Tidal is my travel music. It's my preferred source no matter where I am or what I stream it from. Heck. I've visited friends in Taiwan, logged on to their computers and streamed to their systems.

The only real downside that I have noticed is I have purchased very few CDs since I began subscribing.

My wife and I no longer watch TV, so we don't pay ungodly amounts of money every month for that addiction. $20/month seems pretty reasonable to me.

Just my opinion.

Michael

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 9 Sep 2017, 01:13 am »

I agree with both JackD and mresseguie, and the answer depends on what you want from the service:
I have the Tidal premium service and it didn't take long to decide that the SQ was worth the money. (Discovery  kind of lacks compared to AppleMusic IMHO). However, as JackD suggests, if your main purpose is to discover artists and music you want to buy on disc, then just get one of the $10-a-month deals (Apple and Spotify probably have the best selections) and take the SQ hit. All of them have trial offerings so try all the usual suspects.

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 9 Sep 2017, 02:39 am »
And it you don't mind the ads like on Pandora then regular Spotify is free same with Tunein.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 9 Sep 2017, 11:12 am »
I've got a frugal audio friend who lives on just a smart phone, used Node 1, and Tidal.  He owns no vinyl or CDs and values the MQA offerings.  $20/month is way cheaper than buying say 2 TB (8,000 albums) worth of music.  I remember making the same decision (to give up on vinyl) when CDs came out. 

With Meridian Explorer 2, a laptop, and headphones you can travel the world with Tidal.

randytsuch

« Reply #11 on: 9 Sep 2017, 03:04 pm »
So in my defense although I'm cheap, I now have two kids in college. Youngest just started at nyu.  So my audio funds are VERY limited.

I've used streaming in the past. Mog. Spotify.  Mog died.  Spotify used to limit its free service.   Google play. But that doesn't work well on my android phone. Go figure lol.

I'll see how Spotify free works for now

Odal3

« Reply #12 on: 9 Sep 2017, 06:13 pm »
I have been a long term user of spotify and I think it is outstanding as a mean to discover new music. Its really fun to search for songs and artists and discover playlists created by other fans liking similar music.

I just started a 3 month free trial of Tidal. See here for details how to get the offer:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152423.0

While the quality is definitely better than spotify, I don't like the user interface as much but maybe I will get to know it better over time. I do miss exploring play lists, etc. Will try it out for three months and then I will see if I keep it or not.

Also tried google music, but missed some key albums (international releases) in the catalogue vs spotify.

Btw note that if your kids are in school with edu email they can get Tidal for cheap...

randytsuch

« Reply #13 on: 2 Oct 2017, 07:03 pm »
FWIW, I've been using the free version of spotify.

Seems to work well enough, will probably just stay with this for a while.

randytsuch

« Reply #14 on: 10 Dec 2017, 05:45 pm »
Updated because I just started using tidal hifi
I also just bought a fiio x5 and am using it there and my other portable devices.  Will load on pc soon.

Got the 6 mo free Best Buy deal after buying a cd.

Pretty sure I'll keep it. Love it so far
For how much I expect to use it, it's still a bargain

Randy

avta

« Reply #15 on: 10 Dec 2017, 10:07 pm »
I find all the music I like using iTunes. Their internet section has lots of stations some with higher bit rates. And its free.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2017, 09:18 am »
I can’t make up my mind between Deezer and Tidal. I’d really like to explore more music from the other side of the globe and I think in that respect Deezer might be the better choice, but I’m also a stickler for sound quality. I don’t want subscribe to both.  :shake:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2017, 09:36 am »

You’re not the only one, but I think back to the days before the internet when I spun vinyl. Back then if it were possible to lease a few million LPs for $20 a month, I’d have died and gone to heaven. As it is, I feel as if I had died and went to heaven tonight for simply being able to tune into radio stations from around the globe, some in high def playing one great track after another.

RandyH

« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2017, 02:02 pm »
but I think back to the days before the internet when I spun vinyl. Back then if it were possible to lease a few million LPs for $20 a month, I’d have died and gone to heaven.
I agree completely.   $20 a month for access to such a vast library of CD quality music seems reasonable to me.

bluemeanies

« Reply #19 on: 22 Dec 2017, 01:02 pm »
I have been using TIDAL and when you consider hi-fi music quality and all the music that is available to you, storage, biographies, videos, the price of buying one cd a month is equivalent to TIDAL's monthly fee.
If you are a veteran there is a substantial discount.
That said if TIDAL flounders into bankruptcy and is no longer a vialable entity I will be forced to join the Spotify Premium crowd.