New Apollo's In The House till October

advanced101

Re: New Apollo's In The House till October
« Reply #20 on: 13 Sep 2017, 09:41 pm »
Nice.  Never seen anyone install Absorption panels between the speakers in that manner.  Could you describe your thinking or results?

jriggy

« Reply #21 on: 13 Sep 2017, 10:40 pm »
rbbert,

WoW! I've seen Ulysses in many wood options and owned a beautiful pair in cherry...but your light / natural with the dark front baffles are amazing! Stunningly beautiful looking speakers!

rbbert

« Reply #22 on: 14 Sep 2017, 12:17 am »
Nice.  Never seen anyone install Absorption panels between the speakers in that manner.  Could you describe your thinking or results?

It's something I play with from time to time.  It can have a pretty dramatic effect on the stereo image, and where the panels are and how they are angled will affect that.  Sometimes I put them on the outside of the speakers instead.  Whether that is good or bad, or more true to the recording, I can't always say.  In any case, they are easy to move or remove.

rbbert

« Reply #23 on: 14 Sep 2017, 12:19 am »
rbbert,

WoW! I've seen Ulysses in many wood options and owned a beautiful pair in cherry...but your light / natural with the dark front baffles are amazing! Stunningly beautiful looking speakers!

Let Lou know  :)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #24 on: 14 Sep 2017, 04:25 am »
Robert,

I see you use a PASS Int-60 to power your speakers. I've read about this amp, but have no experience with it. Could you speak a bit about it and what it does for your speakers? Any comparisons to a Modwright amp?

Michael

rbbert

« Reply #25 on: 14 Sep 2017, 12:17 pm »
Here are a few "professional" reviews

http://hometheaterreview.com/pass-labs-int-60-integrated-amplifier-reviewed/

https://www.stereophile.com/content/pass-laboratories-int-60-integrated-amplifier

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/04/02/hanging-out-down-at-the-pass-pass-labs-int-60-integrated-amplifier-review/

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue79/pass_int60.htm

There are also quite a few discussions on other audio boards.  I don't really have anything specific to add to all of them (I've contributed on some of the latter).  Pass Labs products are generally felt to be of high quality, compatible with almost any speaker, very listenable and competitively priced (which is some cases is pretty high  :lol:).

Wig

« Reply #26 on: 15 Sep 2017, 02:08 am »

Last Friday I took delivery on a new pair of Ulysses with the "new" X-over (upgraded parts) and the speaker DID's.  They haven't finished breaking in, but the sound is everything I remembered from shows.  I haven't heard the Apollo's, though.

Absolutely Stunning!

Wig

A_shah

« Reply #27 on: 16 Sep 2017, 03:26 am »

Last Friday I took delivery on a new pair of Ulysses with the "new" X-over (upgraded parts) and the speaker DID's.  They haven't finished breaking in, but the sound is everything I remembered from shows.  I haven't heard the Apollo's, though.

Look beautiful, I bet they sound wonderful ! congratulations !

mresseguie

« Reply #28 on: 19 Sep 2017, 04:04 pm »
Here are a few "professional" reviews

http://hometheaterreview.com/pass-labs-int-60-integrated-amplifier-reviewed/

https://www.stereophile.com/content/pass-laboratories-int-60-integrated-amplifier

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/04/02/hanging-out-down-at-the-pass-pass-labs-int-60-integrated-amplifier-review/

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue79/pass_int60.htm

There are also quite a few discussions on other audio boards.  I don't really have anything specific to add to all of them (I've contributed on some of the latter).  Pass Labs products are generally felt to be of high quality, compatible with almost any speaker, very listenable and competitively priced (which is some cases is pretty high  :lol:).

Robert,

Thank you. I have read a couple of the reviews now. It sounds like a wonderful sounding amp, but I think it's a bit over my budget. (Or is that my wife's budget?)

Michael

rbbert

« Reply #29 on: 19 Sep 2017, 07:12 pm »
Robert,

Thank you. I have read a couple of the reviews now. It sounds like a wonderful sounding amp, but I think it's a bit over my budget. (Or is that my wife's budget?)

Michael

In that case, have you looked at Primaluna?

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #30 on: 26 Sep 2017, 11:51 pm »
Well my attorney made his annual house call ( he too doesn't want me in his office).

As we were finishing up he asked about the speakers as he thought they were larger then the last time.

And as I pointed out they were and explained that a guy dropped them off.

He immediately pointed out that they were abandoned property and I had possession of them and that is nine tenths of the law and thus the state of Oregon would recognize that I was the true owner.

And that is why I keep him on retainer.   

ALan

mresseguie

« Reply #31 on: 27 Sep 2017, 12:44 am »
Did he tell you to buy really good fire insurance for the house?  :thumb:

:flame:

aldcoll

« Reply #32 on: 27 Sep 2017, 01:16 am »
I will at the new house a few states away this Friday :thumb:

mresseguie

« Reply #33 on: 27 Sep 2017, 01:25 am »
Cool. I'll meet you there. We're staying at a resort on Hilton Head tonight, and fly back to PDX this Friday.

I miss my Apollos. My Kootenay120 amp will be delivered in about 10 or 12 days. We will stay in Vancouver, WA for October.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #34 on: 28 Sep 2017, 04:55 am »
Cool. I'll meet you there. We're staying at a resort on Hilton Head tonight, and fly back to PDX this Friday.

I miss my Apollos. My Kootenay120 amp will be delivered in about 10 or 12 days. We will stay in Vancouver, WA for October.
I may have to come down and visit.... :)

mresseguie

« Reply #35 on: 29 Sep 2017, 04:23 am »
Hi, Lou.

You're more than welcome. You may have to drive to Alan's house because I won't have a preamp or DAC in Vancouver unless I can beg, borrow, or steal from local dealers. My gear is either in Taiwan or in storage. Stored gear will remain stored until we sell our house in Corvallis and buy a new one in Vancouver or Camas.

Michael

P.S. I've worn my Daedalus shirt in Chicago, Cambridge, Boston, Atlanta, and Savannah. Perhaps someone noticed....

uncola

« Reply #36 on: 29 Sep 2017, 03:53 pm »
what thread should I look for your Don Sachs kt88 amp review in? :P  very curious about that

mresseguie

« Reply #37 on: 29 Sep 2017, 06:58 pm »
Hi, uncola!

I guess it's time for a Don Sachs KT88 thread.

My review may be slow in coming. I won't be able to burn it in till after I get to Taiwan in November. However, others have received the amp. Perhaps I can create a new thread to encourage their posting.

aldcoll

« Reply #38 on: 1 Oct 2017, 12:05 am »
I will try to be a little more series this post.

As the date gets closer that the Apollo's depart I am spending more time listening to them.  I am in still impressed that the new 10 inch woofer and crossover's.   I just get immersed in the sound. 

I have gone through my music collection rather extensively.  We have come to enjoy some classic music in the afternoon book reading time.  Lang Lang's  New York Rhapsody is our current favorite and the live performance is even better. http://www.pbs.org/arts/pbs-arts-festival/2016/live-lincoln-center-lang-langs-new-york-rhapsody/

As with all of Lou's speakers the only fatigue might be from sitting.  No glare or color added just a fine reproduction of the music.  A nice full body of sound and presence without getting in your face.

I just wish I had all those flowery words you read in the BIG reviews.   

Until then I will just kick back and listen.  And believe me the sound is superb.  Too bad the time is short.

Alan

mresseguie

« Reply #39 on: 6 Oct 2017, 03:58 pm »
Oh boy. Oh boy. Oh boy! OH BOY!!

My temporary listening room is empty and awaiting the delivery of my Apollos. I'll be down next week for a quick listen, boxing up and driving them to Vancouver, WA. We will leave for Taiwan on/about November 10th.

Joking aside, thank you very much for speaker-sitting them for me while Melody and I were galavanting in Chicago, Boston, and Atlanta (mostly Decatur).

It's been so long since I heard them that it'll be a 'new' experience all over.

I'll bring a box of Kleenex for you, Alan.