Daedalus speakers in the Washington, DC area

Scottdazzle

Daedalus speakers in the Washington, DC area
« on: 30 Oct 2012, 08:30 pm »
If any DC area Audio Circle members would like to hear Daedalus Athenas, please send me a pm.  You may have heard them at the Capital Audio Fest or heard the buzz about Daedalus from RMAF.  All the Daedalus speakers are remarkable and the Athenas have the Daedalus family sound.  Cheers! 
 :thumb:

rockadanny

Re: Daedalus speakers in the Washington, DC area
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2012, 12:25 pm »
Wow Scott! Those are beautiful!
And you are very kind to make such an offer. :thumb:
Wish you lived in Atlanta so I could drive over to hear them.  :lol:

Scottdazzle

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2012, 06:45 pm »
Wow Scott! Those are beautiful!
And you are very kind to make such an offer. :thumb:
Wish you lived in Atlanta so I could drive over to hear them.  :lol:

There's always a super saver airfare to watch for! It might turn out to be a good investment if you like the speakers enough to buy a pair.  I've gone to RMAF 3 times looking for my next new audio delight.  Haven't regretted it once.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2012, 09:29 pm »
Here is my pair of Athenas in my system. They were a breeze to position - not fussy at all in my room.  They are perfect for a smaller listening room like mine.  The photo was taken a few feet to the left of where I usually sit.

The left chair is my usual seat. It's a very good sounding room if I do say so myself. Woodsyi is coming over Saturday to pass judgment!

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2012, 09:33 pm »
Those are stunners!

Scottdazzle

« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2012, 09:40 pm »
Yes, they are. You should see them op close. Lou uses only top quality furniture grade walnut (and other woods). And it's solid, not veneer. He joins all the pieces perfectly with glue... no screws. I think I'll take a few closeups and post them later. They have to be seen to be believed.  :D

jriggy

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2012, 10:35 pm »
Beautiful! I love seeing 'action shots' of Lou's speakers.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2012, 01:06 am »
The Athena's are one of my favorite speakers, ever!

figcon

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2012, 03:11 am »
Nice looking set of speakers Scott. For those that can't quite get to DC and feels like visiting the city of Asheville, NC, I have a set of Maple Ulysses with a pair of Maple BOW's, except mine have two 12's per side. 23 by 20 ft dedicated sound room and the sound is Sublime. Nice city too and we have really good beer here, along with good food and great music.

I think Lou's speakers are all terrific and one of the best speaker buys anywhere.....Certainly at their prices, which are lower than theybshould be.

david12

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2012, 09:11 am »
For me, the Athena is the sweet spot in the range. I don't think there is much difference in sound, to my DAR-MAs, but they just look great.

I'll mention it again, anyone in Europe, particularly the UK, wants a listen, send me a PM.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2012, 10:38 pm »
Here are a few of the photos I took of my Athenas. I wanted you all to get a chance to see some different views especially if you haven't seen them at audio shows.

Sections are joined perfectly.

The front baffle is chamfered to minimize diffraction from the tweeter and midrange.

Another view of the baffle.

Look at the thickness of the boards used to make the speaker cabinet.

The decorative maple inlays couldn't be integrated better.

One last look at the port.

motorcitym3

« Reply #11 on: 4 Dec 2012, 10:53 pm »
His work is top notch...check out the box he created for my dac :thumb:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2012, 05:42 pm »
Scott, thanks for posting the pics!  looks like a great room for them, looking forward to seeing you at CAF in July.

thanks,
lou

tme110

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2017, 03:28 am »
Any Daedulas speakers in the DC area still available to listen to?

Scottdazzle

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2017, 02:27 pm »
Any Daedulas speakers in the DC area still available to listen to?

Yes, you can listen to my Athenas here in Vienna.  Send me a p.m. So we can arrange a time.   :D

beaglebump

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2017, 04:45 pm »
Beautiful pair of Athenas, Scott.  Do yours include the latest upgrades (v.2, upgraded woofers, Duelund/Mundorf EVO caps, etc)?  I have an early pr. of Athenas (might be Lou's 1st pr/ones used for website photos), and sending them off this week to integrate some of the more recent upgrades.  As a professional musician, I have yet to hear music reproduced as organic/true-to-source timbrally speaking as through my Athenas.  Keepers, to be sure.     

Scottdazzle

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jun 2017, 05:44 pm »
Beautiful pair of Athenas, Scott.  Do yours include the latest upgrades (v.2, upgraded woofers, Duelund/Mundorf EVO caps, etc)?  I have an early pr. of Athenas (might be Lou's 1st pr/ones used for website photos), and sending them off this week to integrate some of the more recent upgrades.  As a professional musician, I have yet to hear music reproduced as organic/true-to-source timbrally speaking as through my Athenas.  Keepers, to be sure.   

My Athenas have all the V2 upgrades (crossover, wiring, woofers, woofer frames). They do not have the recent cap upgrades and I don't think it would be worth the shipping cost for a very minor improvement.  I agree with your comments about the Athenas!

beaglebump

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jun 2017, 06:35 pm »
Lou did the v.2 upgrade a few yrs ago, and I installed the trim rings last year, both to significant improvement in separation, widening/deepening the stage, and tighter transients.  Looking forward to the continued improvements w/ the newer woofers & the Duelund option.  Definitely not a fan of shipping these out again - wish we lived closer to WA (we're in the cornfields of MO)!     

fwinston

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jun 2017, 07:58 pm »
My Ulysses speakers, which already had the All Poly and V2 grades, went back to Lou this spring to have the new woofers installed.  At the same time Lou also added the Mundorf EVO caps.  That change was more than a subtle improvement in sound.  The highs are noticeably smoother and more extended.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 5 Jun 2017, 08:02 pm »
Superb wood work congratulations.
I was many years I dont wee this kind of top class work.