Dave's Cables Interconnect Cable Tour (New Tour With Speaker Cables: Page 10)

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Hi,

I am ready to do an interconnect tour if folks are interested.

Would 1 meter long cables work for everyone?

I have 3 ICs I am offering now:

D1: Furutech FP-126 RCAs, Neotech EC-UPOCC copper signal wire, mil spec silver plated copper/teflon ground wires

D2: Furutech FP-101 RCAs, Neotech EC-UPOCC copper signal wire, Neotech UPOCC copper/teflon ground wires

DD: Furutech FP-101 RCAs, Duelund 1.0 silver signal wire, Neotech UPOCC copper/teflon ground wires

Please post here if you are interested in joining the tour.  :thumb:

EDIT 4/6/14: 

NEW TOUR STARTING ON PAGE 10: D3 Interconnect Cables (XLR and RCA) and 14 Gauge Speaker Cables

« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2014, 02:42 am by DaveC113 »

Charles Xavier

Re: Dave's Cables Interconnect Cable Tour
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2013, 09:46 pm »
Sign me up

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2013, 10:31 pm »
I'm interested.
Any possibility of a XLR version?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2013, 10:34 pm »
Very cool, Dave!  :thumb:

Please count me in.

Have fun,

Jerry

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2013, 11:24 pm »
I'm interested.
Any possibility of a XLR version?

I have a design for an XLR version, it will be similar to the single ended but with 2 strands of signal wire in a 4-strand litz braid.

I would be happy to make a D1 version for you and whoever else has balanced gear to test out, but I need to confirm the sound quality will equal the single ended version before I offer it to the public. Also, higher end XLR plugs that I'd use for the higher end XLR cables are really expensive, so I need to know the D1 XLR works out before investing many hundreds of dollars into building and testing higher end cables. So if I include a D1 XLR cable you will be helping me out as a beta tester...  :thumb:

genjamon

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2013, 12:17 am »
Yes, please  :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2013, 12:27 am »
Also, higher end XLR plugs that I'd use for the higher end XLR cables are really expensive,
Why not use the incredibly cost efficient and well designed Neutrik connectors? 

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2013, 01:19 am »
Why not use the incredibly cost efficient and well designed Neutrik connectors?

That kind of connector would be perfect for the D1 cables, they are meant to offer maximum value for the money. It wouldn't be a big deal to buy several reasonably priced XLR connectors from Neutrik, Vampire and Furutech and see what works best. The higher end cables I make are meant to offer maximum performance without as much emphasis on keeping cost down. That means I would need to purchase and test out the options to make sure I am using the best connectors I can. That is what would get expensive, plus the fact I'd need a balanced system to test them on. The middle of the line Furutech XLRs are about $325/set, Xhadow (high end vampire) are $260, Neotech are way up there too. A high end XLR cable is going to cost more than a single ended IC and it would cost me well over $1k just to research the options. 

In any case, connectors are a big deal... there's often major differences in sound quality between RCA plugs. The Furutech FP-101 RCA plugs I use on my single ended ICs are over 4x the price vs the FP-126s on the D1 ICs, but there's a significant difference in performance that is very easily audible. It is what makes a majority of the difference between the D1 and D2, the ground wire does make a difference, but it is much more subtle than the connectors, and the UPOCC ground wire is about 15x the price vs the mil spec wire on the D1s.

So I'd prefer to make sure the D1 level XLR has the same performance as the single ended D1 before getting into using more expensive parts. If it turns out Neutrik is as good as it gets for XLRs than I will be a very happy guy, but it's not likely.  :green:  You also have to understand that this isn't exactly replacing my day job, not even close. I make an reasonable hourly rate doing this, but no "profit". The cables I'm selling would be about $500 for the D1 and $1500 or so for the D2 using typical industry markups for this product. My goal is to offer a much better value for the money than anyone else selling cables... and my cables won't be embarrassed when compared to any cable out there regardless of price, even the D1. These are top of the line cables at much lower prices than anyone else is offering.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2013, 01:26 am »
In any case, connectors are a big deal... there's often major differences in sound quality between RCA plugs.
So what objective specs do you look at that these opinions are based on?

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2013, 02:11 am »
So what objective specs do you look at that these opinions are based on?

This is getting off topic, I'd like to keep this thread about the tour. Can you move your post and this response to this thread?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116380.0

And I would be happy to talk about how I select my connectors.  :wink:

ZLS

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2013, 03:24 am »
    Count me in also.

pfarthing

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2013, 05:01 am »
I'm very interested in joining the tour. Also have a fully balanced system and am looking for some new XLR cables. FWIW, I'm not convinced fancy XLR connectors make a huge difference in my system (have several Neutrik based cables and one with Vampires) - the cable seems more important by far.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2013, 05:32 am »
I'm very interested in joining the tour. Also have a fully balanced system and am looking for some new XLR cables. FWIW, I'm not convinced fancy XLR connectors make a huge difference in my system (have several Neutrik based cables and one with Vampires) - the cable seems more important by far.

I agree, the cable is most important... but if you can use a single ended IC in your system you will be surprised at the difference between the D1 and D2, which is mostly in the RCA plugs. I used the Vampire XLRs to make a XLR > RCA cable for someone and they are very nice connectors for about $8 each, not much more than Neutrik. I was checking out Neutrik XLRs and they do have a blinged out version with Swarovski crystals imbedded  :lol:

http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/xlr-cable-connectors/crystalcon/

Chris Adams

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jul 2013, 12:28 pm »
Love to be on the tour. Thanks!

BobRex

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jul 2013, 12:48 pm »
I'd like to hear your designs.  Since we're talking about connector quality, have you tried the Xhadows? 

mdfoy

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jul 2013, 03:01 pm »
Dave,

I would like to join, mainly to check out the the D3 and DD

jbtrio

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jul 2013, 04:25 pm »
Please add me in, thanks!

dflee

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jul 2013, 05:08 pm »
I'd like to be included in the tour. If nothing else I'm good for a few laughs.

Don

hanguy

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jul 2013, 05:33 pm »
I would like to join the cable tour as well. Los Angeles area, zip code 91780.

Mike
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2013, 07:44 pm by hanguy »

mjosef

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jul 2013, 10:40 pm »
Interested in your top-of-the-line IC, curious how it compares with my 4K/6k/9K$$$ superduparumpa wires.
  :smoke: