Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Krutsch

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1060 on: 16 Aug 2015, 03:46 pm »
Do the tracks by chance order them selves relative to how long (track length) they are?

In short, no. If you look at the example I give above (Grateful Dead's American Beauty), Truckin' is 5:26, followed by songs that are both longer and shorter in duration.

If this helps, here is the output from an 'ls -la' from the actual files on the BDP-1 being used for playback:

Feel free to ask for additional details and/or things for me to try.

- Ken

Krutsch

« Reply #1061 on: 16 Aug 2015, 03:58 pm »
^^ FWIW, I took the same files, transcoded them to FLAC using XLD, loaded them onto my 'New Music' flash drive, Updated the flash drive and loaded them into Media Player using the Default View:

...as you can see, they now load correctly. Also, I can load the original ALAC files, in the correct order, using MPaD via MPD, without any track ordering issues. There does seems to be something peculiar with ALAC and MM.

Version info: S2.17 2015-08-13

Marius

« Reply #1062 on: 19 Aug 2015, 06:14 pm »
Hi Chris,

I accidentally pushed the update button, and only then realized there's no cancel button.... Could you add that?
The BDP now is updating to the official firmware while im on betas..

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1063 on: 20 Aug 2015, 12:25 am »
If your running manic moose and it's still downloading the first of the three files, you should be able to push the power button, followed by the down arrow button on the front of the unit.  If the installation makes it past the checksum before it powers off you may brick the unit and have to reflash the cf card.

Marius

« Reply #1064 on: 20 Aug 2015, 04:42 am »
All the more reason for a safe way to cutoff the accidental update-process with a cancel-button. Maybe also add an 'are you sure' button before actual the actual updating, after downloading the updates. You describe a horribly unfriendly process, remnant of the old pc-era it seems.... Let alone the need of actually being near the BDP, instead of operating it over the net.
Users shouldn't be able to brick the BDP through any command in MM.

Luckily the update process didn't follow through then, don't know why, cause i could not stop it.

Cheers,
Marius

If your running manic moose and it's still downloading the first of the three files, you should be able to push the power button, followed by the down arrow button on the front of the unit.  If the installation makes it past the checksum before it powers off you may brick the unit and have to reflash the cf card.

Marius

« Reply #1065 on: 20 Aug 2015, 04:43 am »
empty

Norton

« Reply #1066 on: 26 Aug 2015, 04:03 pm »
Chris

latest beta mentions 2 memory play functions.. Could you tell us a little more - difference between them and difference from existing  CD replay feature for example?

Thanks

Samurai7595

« Reply #1067 on: 26 Aug 2015, 05:18 pm »
I've upgraded my unit to S2.12 and also replaced the old sound card with the new IAD.

All is working great however, I noticed that in MPoD (iPhone 6 Plus), I've lost some of the Album Art (Album Covers).  I took a second look on my USB memory stick and the Folder.jpg files are still there.  I did an Update Database and Refresh Local Cache but it did not fix my issue.

Any idea?

I took a second look at my setup and nothing has changed.

All my album art is called "Folder.jpg" and all Folder.jpg files are located with the list of songs.  This is true for all albums.

I also took a look at the titles and metadata and I have no special characters.

As, I mentioned before, all album art was visible & present with S1.60 however with S2.12 I've lost a handful of album art via MPoD.

Any ideas?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1068 on: 27 Aug 2015, 12:44 am »
Chris

latest beta mentions 2 memory play functions.. Could you tell us a little more - difference between them and difference from existing  CD replay feature for example?

Thanks

The main difference is the new features rip the entire cd into system memory at once instead of doing it as its plays.  With the new system the drive is relatively loud for a few minutes (about 70 seconds for every 10 minutes of audio); but no longer spins afterwards.

Samurai7595

« Reply #1069 on: 2 Sep 2015, 08:07 pm »
I took a second look at my setup and nothing has changed.

All my album art is called "Folder.jpg" and all Folder.jpg files are located with the list of songs.  This is true for all albums.

I also took a look at the titles and metadata and I have no special characters.

As, I mentioned before, all album art was visible & present with S1.60 however with S2.12 I've lost a handful of album art via MPoD.

Any ideas?

So no one else has this issue?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1070 on: 2 Sep 2015, 11:19 pm »
So no one else has this issue?

Post the full path to a song that doesn't show cover art or place the BDP into service mode and email me the service id with some songs in the playlist that have the issue.

Cheers
Chris

Norton

« Reply #1071 on: 3 Sep 2015, 09:21 am »
The main difference is the new features rip the entire cd into system memory at once instead of doing it as its plays.  With the new system the drive is relatively loud for a few minutes (about 70 seconds for every 10 minutes of audio); but no longer spins afterwards.

Thanks Chris,

Tried this using my Plextor drive.  Using "Next" , on front panel it gives me a number of minutes (to rip to memory?) usually 7 or 8; and shows Dst as Sys Mem (presumably so far so good) then shows which track it's ripping in order.  However it always gets to the final track then nothing more (I.e. It's taking some time to rip the whole CD to memory but then not actually playing anything).  Using "Previous" I get the same except it doesn't even get to the point of actually ripping.

Incidentally my drive works fine using original play option and now also works fine ripping to SSD.

How do the 2 new play modes differ from each other?

David
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2015, 10:24 am by Norton »

Samurai7595

« Reply #1072 on: 6 Sep 2015, 01:58 am »
Post the full path to a song that doesn't show cover art or place the BDP into service mode and email me the service id with some songs in the playlist that have the issue.

Cheers
Chris

What's the procedure to place the BDP into service mode and to get the service id?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1073 on: 6 Sep 2015, 11:16 pm »
What's the procedure to place the BDP into service mode and to get the service id?

Page 24

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BDP-2_MM_Manual.pdf

elothe

« Reply #1074 on: 8 Sep 2015, 02:56 pm »
Forgive me if this is a very old issue, but before I upgraded my BDP-1 to MM a year ago I was able to save the urls of my favourite (Scandinavian) radio stations to a playlist by using the Gnome application.
But now this doesn't seem to work anymore. Have I missed something perhaps, or is there another method that is recommended nowadays?

Cheers, Erk

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1075 on: 8 Sep 2015, 11:57 pm »
Forgive me if this is a very old issue, but before I upgraded my BDP-1 to MM a year ago I was able to save the urls of my favourite (Scandinavian) radio stations to a playlist by using the Gnome application.
But now this doesn't seem to work anymore. Have I missed something perhaps, or is there another method that is recommended nowadays?

Cheers, Erk

You can try bRadio.  It could also be that your Internet radio stations have upgraded and are using new codecs or even software.  I believe the bbc did this recently causing confusion with listeners.

Samurai7595

elothe

« Reply #1077 on: 10 Sep 2015, 11:53 am »
You can try bRadio.  It could also be that your Internet radio stations have upgraded and are using new codecs or even software.  I believe the bbc did this recently causing confusion with listeners.

Thank you unincognito.
No, the urls haven't changed. I'm just unable to recreate my old (Scandinavian,public) radio station playlist.
What I suspect is that - with MM installed - the BDP doesn't accept urls being added to playlists by means of Gnome anymore.

Cheers, Erik

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1078 on: 10 Sep 2015, 12:38 pm »
Thank you unincognito.
No, the urls haven't changed. I'm just unable to recreate my old (Scandinavian,public) radio station playlist.
What I suspect is that - with MM installed - the BDP doesn't accept urls being added to playlists by means of Gnome anymore.

Cheers, Erik

Hi Erik,

I do not think Gnome is being supported and longer - do you know?

james

Marius

« Reply #1079 on: 10 Sep 2015, 01:51 pm »
HI Chris,

Before i click these 2 new DB options in Media Player settings, please let us know what they do (i would have thought the DB was enabled, since i am able to view, select and play tracks)

Cheers, Marius