BDP-1 and NAS connectivity

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
Re: BDP-1 and NAS connectivity
« Reply #100 on: 21 Jul 2012, 03:32 pm »
Hi Kevin

I would recommend getting everything set up and operating properly first with the current software and then we can send you the beta version later. I fear allowing a new customer access to both a new BDP and new software in the same day could caused serious emotional overload  :lol:

James

Okay James, I now understand your comment about emotional overload. I'm experiencing it right now! :icon_frown:

Chris sent me a link to the latest beta firmware releases. The username/password of the unit didn't take much effort to suss out (especially considering the hint given by scrolling through the op panel) and the immediate response returned upon my initiating the update was encouraging enough. Unfortunately, the positive feelings ended right there. Since the release note indicated as much as a 90 minute load process, I waited a full 2 hours before grabbing the following screenshots.

After 2 hours, there was no apparent progress.

The system log doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling either.

I attempted to reboot by clicking 'Reboot BDP1' - nothing happened. Cycling the power was uneventful, and the device still operates as it did before attempting the firmware upgrade. Here's a shot illustrating the current version. To be honest, I couldn't resist laughing when I first saw this page - the firmware released on April 1st was declared final (good one). :lol:

So, I suppose I need Chris' help at this point. FWIW, I have no problem pushing files from my PC to the USB thumb drive inserted in the BDP-1.

For now, I'll just use it as it is. I really like this device. I have no doubt we'll iron this little wrinkle out easily enough.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #101 on: 21 Jul 2012, 04:59 pm »
I assume you hit REFREASH ON THE BROWSER with the page loaded?

James

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #102 on: 21 Jul 2012, 05:43 pm »
Thanks for the quick response,

Yes sir, after capturing the screenshot, I did a refresh and then the right pane was completely blank.

I started with the file dated the 17th. After that one failed to load, I went backwards to the oldest one available for download (12th) - same result. It's puzzling. I'm just glad it's still working.

I'm rather curious about the following messages which keep repeating:

bryston-bdp-1 avahi-daemon[4691]: Received response with invalid source port 32768 on interface 'eth0.0'

bryston-bdp-1 init: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

I really wish I had looked at the log prior to attempting the firmware upgrade.  :duh:

---

For giggles, after cycling the power, I tried to change the theme - nope. Clicking on reboot does nothing - same for resetting to factory settings.  :scratch:

SHV

« Reply #103 on: 21 Jul 2012, 05:51 pm »
As a long shot, have you tried unplugging and replugging the power cord?  On a couple occasions, this has solved odd behavior from my BDP.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #104 on: 21 Jul 2012, 05:53 pm »
Thanks for the quick response,

Yes sir, after capturing the screenshot, I did a refresh and then the right pane was completely blank.

I started with the file dated the 17th. After that one failed to load, I went backwards to the oldest one available for download (12th) - same result. It's puzzling. I'm just glad it's still working.

I'm rather curious about the following messages which keep repeating:

bryston-bdp-1 avahi-daemon[4691]: Received response with invalid source port 32768 on interface 'eth0.0'

bryston-bdp-1 init: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

I really wish I had looked at the log prior to attempting the firmware upgrade.  :duh:

---

For giggles, after cycling the power, I tried to change the theme - nope. Clicking on reboot does nothing - same for resetting to factory settings.  :scratch:

Ok I am on holidays but give Chris Rice a call at Bryston on Monday 1-800-632-8217

James

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #105 on: 21 Jul 2012, 06:08 pm »
Well then, you should be enjoying yourself - not conversing with an impatient cuss like I'm being. Honestly, this isn't a big deal - as I said, it plays the USB sourced files fine. I can wait a few days to get it going with the NAS. Whatever is amiss will get sorted soon enough. It hasn't diminished my impression of this device. It's just the way things sometimes go when a computer is in the mix.  :wink:

I'll contact Chris Monday. Thanks again.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #106 on: 21 Jul 2012, 06:09 pm »
As a long shot, have you tried unplugging and replugging the power cord?  On a couple occasions, this has solved odd behavior from my BDP.

Steve

No, I confess that I haven't tried that yet. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that now...

That didn't help. For giggles, I opened port 22 through my router for the IP used by the BDP-1. That made no difference either.

As a last shot in the dark, I isolated the BDP and my notebook, which stopped the avahi-daemon generated message - started again as soon as my network was back in business. I've had enough of this fun for the day. I'll just use it as it was delivered until I chat with Chris, unless someone else has an idea.
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2012, 08:05 pm by kevin360 »

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #107 on: 25 Jul 2012, 12:09 am »
I called Chris - problem solved. It was a permissions issue with the firmware in the unit I bought, which makes me feel a bit better. Anyway, Chris straightened it all out and now I have firmware that supports NAS (and I'll be able to do upgrades in the future). The NAS connectivity was a snap to set up and it works great. The Max/Mini software is slicker and quicker than what I originally had.

Mike Pickett was kind enough to send me a CCF. I can now operate the basic controls with my RC9001 (the Marantz version of the Pronto TSU9600).

I tip my hat to Bryston's superb customer support. :thumb:

Anyone considering a BDP-1 for use with a NAS - just go for it. You'll be :D !

mpv

« Reply #108 on: 25 Jul 2012, 01:27 am »
James or Chris,
Is the latest software available for upgrade or is still beta? I would like to have it for my Synology.... :oops:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #109 on: 25 Jul 2012, 01:50 am »
James or Chris,
Is the latest software available for upgrade or is still beta? I would like to have it for my Synology.... :oops:

Official release is Aug 1st

James

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #110 on: 25 Jul 2012, 02:00 am »
Official release is Aug 1st

James

James can you give us a list of the features of the new release assuming there is more than the NAS?

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #111 on: 25 Jul 2012, 02:24 am »
James can you give us a list of the features of the new release assuming there is more than the NAS?

Dave

Hi Dave

The NAS is the main feature and a few minor bug fixes

James

DaveNote

« Reply #112 on: 25 Jul 2012, 02:39 am »
Hi Dave

The NAS is the main feature and a few minor bug fixes

James

Thanks James. Even if one doesn't want the NAS feature, it's good to get the bugs out.

Dave

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #113 on: 25 Jul 2012, 02:41 am »
James or Chris,

Hi,

The firmware is in just the last phase of development, just fixing minor things (mostly of cosmetic nature). Should be ready end of this week/early next week.

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #114 on: 25 Jul 2012, 02:47 am »
Hi All,

The new firmware resolves an issue that may occur with some bdp's running the S1.40 firmware from a few months back.  This issue unfortunently was never experienced by any at bryston or any of out beta tresters, so it slipped out.  There is also a upnp client feature, still in Beta and turned off by default.  This feature can be turned On via the settings page, under a new services panel.

Chris

DaveNote

« Reply #115 on: 25 Jul 2012, 02:56 am »
Hi All,

The new firmware resolves an issue that may occur with some bdp's running the S1.40 firmware from a few months back.  This issue unfortunently was never experienced by any at bryston or any of out beta tresters, so it slipped out.  There is also a upnp client feature, still in Beta and turned off by default.  This feature can be turned On via the settings page, under a new services panel.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Reading your message I was wondering if you're doing some kind of instruction sheet or manual with the update package to help users with features such as upnp, NAS, etc. I confess that I usually end up doing a lot of trial and error when using new features and it helps to get some guidance as it is with the manuals we get with hardware.

Dave

Marius

« Reply #116 on: 25 Jul 2012, 10:48 am »
Hi Chris,
have you found a way to select separate folders/maps as shares, instead of the complete drive? Thus making it possible to have several shares on the same drive?

Marius

Hi All,

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #117 on: 25 Jul 2012, 02:04 pm »
Hi Marius,

The manual for the CIFS (aka Samba) plugin for the mount (the piece of software that allows the BDP to see USB/Network Drives) command does make mention of mounting a sub folder in a network share.  Meaning it should be possible, if not I have another way around it which i have already tested as I was in the same boat as you as well.  All my media files on one share; however i just want to make sure I haven't bitten off more then a can chew before I start adding to many features to the NAS Setup control panel.  It is a feature to come, how soon all depends on how many support calls i end up taking because of the feature next week when we go to release it.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #118 on: 25 Jul 2012, 04:26 pm »
Great!
good to hear your working on it, we'll sit and relax till you're done.  :thumb:

have to find out Mountain Lion in the meantime anyway.

Thanks,
Marius

Hi Marius,

The manual for the CIFS (aka Samba) plugin for the mount (the piece of software that allows the BDP to see USB/Network Drives) command does make mention of mounting a sub folder in a network share.  Meaning it should be possible, if not I have another way around it which i have already tested as I was in the same boat as you as well.  All my media files on one share; however i just want to make sure I haven't bitten off more then a can chew before I start adding to many features to the NAS Setup control panel.  It is a feature to come, how soon all depends on how many support calls i end up taking because of the feature next week when we go to release it.

Cheers,
Chris

mpv

« Reply #119 on: 26 Jul 2012, 02:04 pm »
Chris how we will find out the day? Are you gone post here or software section?
Can you guys just simple post it on Bryston website for everybody? I find awkward to email each time and ask for instead to go at Bryston website.
thanks

Hi,

The firmware is in just the last phase of development, just fixing minor things (mostly of cosmetic nature). Should be ready end of this week/early next week.

Chris