LH Labs geek out

mgalusha

LH Labs geek out
« on: 22 Apr 2014, 05:55 pm »
My LH Labs geek out finally arrived yesterday, it's been a long wait since I backed the Kickstarter campaign back in August 2013 but they are finally shipping them in quantity. I have not tried this in my main system yet but it's working well in my desktop system at work - Jriver > geek out > diy tube pre > Mackie MR-5 powered monitors. Currently having JRiver output PCM at DSD128, so far nary a hitch. Listening to a little Joe Satriani upsampled from 24/96 to DSD128 and enjoying it very much. Anyone else receive one yet and if so, how's it working? Normally I use a TEAC UD-501 in my desktop system but I lent it out last week, so no comparison possible yet but certainly not disappointed with this given the cost, I was an early backer and paid $99.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: LH Labs geek out
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2014, 05:58 pm »
Nice.  When do we get to see the measurements?   :P

santacore

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2014, 06:06 pm »
Still waiting on mine. I got a USPS notice last week saying a package was entered into system, but haven't seen anything delivered, which is weird since I'm in California.

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2014, 06:28 pm »
Nice.  When do we get to see the measurements?   :P

I'll drag it home one of these days and see how it plays with the dScope.

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2014, 06:32 pm »
Still waiting on mine. I got a USPS notice last week saying a package was entered into system, but haven't seen anything delivered, which is weird since I'm in California.

From what I can see on their forum, shipping has been a pretty awful mess. I received a ship notice on the 15th, it didn't actually hit the PO until the 18th and it was delivered yesterday. I was supposed to receive two but they only sent one, so far no response on my email to customer service but I know they are slammed with all the other folks who haven't gotten theirs at all. I suspect yours was shipped by the same third party dude who did mine. I think he bulk generated all the labels and is not getting them to the PO very quickly. Hopefully you will see it soon. Hopefully I'll receive my second one, I was planning to give it to a friend who has no budget but appreciates the results.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2014, 06:53 pm »
I'll drag it home one of these days and see how it plays with the dScope.
:hyper: :whip: :whip: :whip:

You make it sound like it's 50 lbs.   :lol:

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2014, 09:36 pm »
I received mine yesterday as well.  Hooked it up to the Mac Mini running Audirvana+.  Playing some Dire Straits 16/44.1 upsampled 8x in Audirvana sounded really good.  Played Doors LA Woman on DSD 64, didn't sound as good as the spinning disc does (as I recall) but that was immediately after it was first plugged in, that was an initial kneejerk reaction, the Dire Straits came later in the evening.

Given what the Geek Out is doing I have high hopes for the Geek Pulse.

Best,
Ed

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2014, 10:51 pm »
:hyper: :whip: :whip: :whip:

You make it sound like it's 50 lbs.   :lol:

Ha! Yeah, it's tiny. They shipped my other one today, so I'll have one for testing in a couple of days. I'll me making metal chips the next couple of nights anyway, so it will work out well.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2014, 11:45 pm »
Ha! Yeah, it's tiny. They shipped my other one today, so I'll have one for testing in a couple of days.
:thumb:

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2014, 02:15 am »
Ha! Yeah, it's tiny. They shipped my other one today, so I'll have one for testing in a couple of days. I'll me making metal chips the next couple of nights anyway, so it will work out well.

Good time to put it in that billet case (ok, tubular on a certain lathe) and sell it for a couple grand!

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2014, 11:48 am »
Bogus shipping information:
I received an email that stated mine was shipped 4/17/2014 1:52:31 PM via U.S. Postal Service.
The actual tracking history states:
"Electronic Shipping Info Received, April 18, 2014"
"Acceptance, April 21, 2014, 5:21 pm, SACRAMENTO, CA 95827"
"Depart USPS Sort Facility, April 21, 2014, WEST SACRAMENTO, CA 95799"
"Depart USPS Sort Facility, April 23, 2014, CLEVELAND, OH 44101"
"Processed through USPS Sort Facility, April 25, 2014, 1:40 am, AUSTIN, TX 78710"
Quite a journey for little Geek Out.  I hope he won't have a case of jet lag.

santacore

« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2014, 03:24 pm »
It looks like mine is finally coming today. I got my original notice that the post office had received the package on the 17th. Apparently that when the shipping guy created all the labels, but didn't actually ship anything. Weird stuff. I wish LH would have been more proactive about informing customers of this.

mgalusha

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2014, 03:30 pm »
It looks like mine is finally coming today. I got my original notice that the post office had received the package on the 17th. Apparently that when the shipping guy created all the labels, but didn't actually ship anything. Weird stuff. I wish LH would have been more proactive about informing customers of this.

Agreed. Don't print them unless you plan on getting them to the shipper that day.

santacore

« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr 2014, 12:31 am »

Impressive little device! I'm trying it first on my MacBook Pro laptop running Audirvana +. Just playing some regular res. stuff, but it's sounding really good with my rarely used K702's. Although through process was at times painful, the product is worth the wait and price paid.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2014, 12:37 am »
Guess you didn't get it yet.   :(

charmerci

« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2014, 04:04 am »
Another AC member (mikeeastman) let me use his that he received today. I just plugged it in spending some time loading the software unsuccessfully. After about a 1/2 hour this little sucker gets hot!  I'm unplugging it and not going to use it since it's not mine.

Are yours getting hot? If so, this thing won't last long.

santacore

« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2014, 04:51 am »
Are yours getting hot? If so, this thing won't last long
Yes, mine has been hooked up for a few hours and it's definitely hot to the touch.

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2014, 05:07 am »
Yes, mine has been hooked up for a few hours and it's definitely hot to the touch.

Thanks. I'll give it back to Mike.

Hot to cold to hot to cold....and very quickly.  I can't see these things lasting.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #18 on: 28 Apr 2014, 04:54 pm »
These babies are class A amps, designed to drive the toughest low impedance headphones.  We hope that LH specified automotive or military application heat range components.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 28 Apr 2014, 05:10 pm »
These babies are class A amps, designed to drive the toughest low impedance headphones.  We hope that LH specified automotive or military application heat range components.
How hot does it really get?