First Watt vs McIntosh vs Ampzilla

maty

Re: First Watt vs McIntosh vs Ampzilla
« Reply #20 on: 18 Mar 2018, 05:35 pm »
F5 needs a very good/clean power. Few diyers are willing to spend money on it.

The issue here is that those speakers with such high sensitivity do not need amplifiers with a lot of power, so he has no limitations on that feature.

My preferences: a system H2 predominant. How much? that is decided by the ear / brain of each one. H2 predominant? Because the priority for me must be a sound that excites and not only that sounds spectacular.

Clean DAC with full DSP + preamplifier H2 predominant + clean power amp is a good idea. If you get tired of the sound, then you modified the DSP or change the preamplifier.

If the speakers have a fairly flat frequency response and a great dispersion (coaxial or waveguide) you do not have to change them again and again.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #21 on: 18 Mar 2018, 05:50 pm »
Perspective: https://youtu.be/pdw7esZBbXE

It’s a nice video review as it answers some of the OP’s questions. From what I have read on Nelson’s FW webpages, the F6 is still in production.

Best,
Anand.

RDavidson

« Reply #22 on: 18 Mar 2018, 05:56 pm »
Perspective: https://youtu.be/pdw7esZBbXE

It’s a nice video review as it answers some of the OP’s questions. From what I have read on Nelson’s FW webpages, the F6 is still in production.

Best,
Anand.

Actually, the F6 is no longer made and really isn’t the same as an F5. The only FW amps in production currently are the F7 and J2. The SIT-3 is coming soon. If someone is looking for an F5, the F7 is Nelson’s simpler, updated, and more refined version of the F5 circuit. :thumb:

But to get back on topic : Of the OP’s options, the M2 should be an excellent match both in terms of power and sonic synergy.

maty

« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2018, 05:58 pm »
More off topic:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt15/3.html

If you are interested in adjusting the harmonic structure in this amplifier, there is a nice easy place where you can do it. I have added low-value power resistors (R13 and R14) in series with the Source pins of the output transistors. Typical values for these would be 0.025Ω to 0.1Ω. If you leave R13 at 0Ω and put 0.05Ω for R14, you will find yourself with a positive-phase second harmonic. By this I mean there will be expansion as the wave goes positive and compression as the wave goes negative. If you have a negative-phase second harmonic, you could use this approach to null it out. If you leave R14 at 0Ω but set R13 at a small value, you do the opposite either creating a negative-phase second harmonic or nulling an existing positive-phase second harmonic.

The two phases of the second harmonic do sound different. In fact the most consistent observation people have reported is that positive phase has a little more projection to it, that it's a little more in your face and immediate. Negative phase tends to add more depth. This is something you can play with and  moving on to the next slide, for this one we credit Patrick (EUVL) on DIYAudio. What he did was come up with a variable version. Why not put a pot on it? So here you can adjust P3 and P4 up and down, trimming the relative perfection of the symmetry, creating or nulling the second harmonic...

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2018, 07:09 pm »
Actually, the F6 is no longer made and really isn’t the same as an F5. The only FW amps in production currently are the F7 and J2. The SIT-3 is coming soon. If someone is looking for an F5, the F7 is Nelson’s simpler, updated, and more refined version of the F5 circuit. :thumb:

But to get back on topic : Of the OP’s options, the M2 should be an excellent match both in terms of power and sonic synergy.

Okay. Didn't know the F6 wasn't in production.

If the OP can find a used F6 built by First Watt, that can be an option too. But since he wants to 'audition' various amplifiers, he'll need to seek out those in production of course. The F6 indeed is completely different. It uses a transformer as a phase splitter in a 1:1 ratio (the Jensen unit in maty's schematic above). It also employs only N channel output devices, not complementary (N and P channel) devices.

I have both the F6 and VFET (push/pull Class A) designs here waiting for enclosures... :thumb:

I'm looking forward to Nelson's SIT3 which will employ the VFET's in a single ended output stage.

There are a lot of options in the FirstWatt line of amplifiers in all honesty and I really believe the OP should take a close look at what brj posted earlier regarding output power of amplifiers, listening position/distance and overall efficiency of loudspeaker, in this case being 98dB to 101dB (there are 2 versions of the Zu Def Omen).

I have a room that is 16 feet wide, 25 feet deep and 10 feet ceilings. The speakers are 96dB efficient with  a very reasonable impedance curve. I'm not using more than 10 watts on most head banging occasions and my seated position is 12 feet away from each speaker. Efficiency has it's advantages.

To each their own...

Best,
Anand.

Early B.

« Reply #25 on: 18 Mar 2018, 07:31 pm »
Ampzilla. Next step is to upgrade the Mac pre because it will hold the Ampzilla back from what it can really do. 

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #26 on: 18 Mar 2018, 07:54 pm »
At a typical 10 feet listening distance, 25W gets you 108 dB at your listening position with your 101 dB/1W/1m sensitive speakers.  At 108 dB, your party guests will risk hearing damage, much less be able to have a conversation...

Well... that's not the whole story. 108 db with a full signal through the gear and not allowing any clipping room. When I would master our stuff I would shoot for 12 db of dynamic range from the average program level and the peaks. Now, others compress the daylights out their stuff so would be less. Also, how does the amp sound running full out.

I think the Pass will get the volume most would want but how well it controls the large driver is another question. I would go with the Ampzilla, although never heard any of them.

Rocket Ronny

P.S. I am running over 200 watts of Tube Research Labs power into GR Super Vs. A great combo. Don't worry about too much power, better than not enough.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #27 on: 18 Mar 2018, 08:08 pm »
Well... that's not the whole story. 108 db with a full signal through the gear and not allowing any clipping room. When I would master our stuff I would shoot for 12 db of dynamic range from the average program level and the peaks. Now, others compress the daylights out their stuff so would be less. Also, how does the amp sound running full out.

I think the Pass will get the volume most would want but how well it controls the large driver is another question. I would go with the Ampzilla, although never heard any of them.

Rocket Ronny

To add to the discussion, the impedance curve of the Zu Def Omen (Mk 1B) is published online:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/51dd8a95e4b0ff2f7c9874ae/t/54caa7fbe4b0e0c45959f09a/1422567419589/OmenDef-2A_C%2BS-B.pdf

Impedance minima is 5 ohms at 270hz. I'm assuming the Mk II if that is what the OP owns is similar.

The other thing is, we really don't know what the OP means by:

capable of filling my big living room (12m x 6m) with powerful party levels sound - not necessarily ear splitting levels.

:scratch:

As usual in these threads, the OP will post something and we may never hear from him/her again! In the meantime, the rest of us go in circles trying to understand the cryptic question  :rotflmao:

Best,
Anand.

Sonico

« Reply #28 on: 18 Mar 2018, 09:12 pm »
Thank you all for your opinions, I find them all useful and interesting.
I only refer these three amplifiers because that's what there is available at my local shops. Not the F5 nor anything else; The M2, the 7150 and the Amp2000, being this last one twice the price of the other two - 2500 USD (new) against 1500 (used). I confess that I'm curious about the capabilities of the Amp2000, but my budget needs to stretch a bit beyond my wife's acceptance to get that one. And my speakers will stay with me for many years, so I think I won't need a lot of power in the future. That puts the Ampzilla a bit out of the equation, but I'd like to read opinions on this one as well.
Regarding the McIntosh, I like the looks but I don't know about the sound and although the looks are important (again the WAF), I choose the sound. And from what I read across the internet, First Watt (as everything else out of Nelson Pass' hands) is an amazing sounding machine. I never heard one, but I have the chance to get this one now. It's a shame I can't try them in my system, but meanwhile I asked the opinion of Mr. Pass himself about the synergies, and according to him (the reply came in less than one hour. From Nelson Pass. Fantastic!) the M2 would pair very well with the rest of the gear. So I think I'll give it a try. They also sell well, in case I want to trade it in the future.
I will listen to the different amplifiers anyway, even though in different systems. But at least I'll have a sample of the three.
And my "party levels" are not crazy volume levels like in the club, but loud enough for head banging. I guess the 25W class A through my 101dB speakers are enough...

maty

« Reply #29 on: 18 Mar 2018, 09:59 pm »
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt11/m2_3.html

To say all of this differently, consider Zu speakers for a moment. Their Druid MkIV was famously dynamic, meaty and dark and really polarized opinion. Druid fanciers felt that the newer Essence with its ribbon tweeter veered too far from the house sound. They'd use the M2 on the Essence. Those for whom the Druid was too dark would run the F5 for maximum illumination of that speaker's deliberately subdued top end. This now gives us a generalized scale on which to place the M2. The F5 is jumpiest and cleanest. The J2 is sweeter. The M2 takes a backward step from ultimate resolution to go mellower, softer and just slightly voluptuous.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt11/m2_4.html

Locked into the F5/J2-type sound as a personal ideal, I'd initially weighted the M2 relative to that and keyed in on what it didn't do. Once I understood and then appreciated how Nelson Pass had indeed cloned the essence of a resolved and well-controlled direct-coupled valve push/pull sound of Kaivalya caliber, the proverbial bell tolled. The M2 doesn't emulate classic SET flavor. Rather, it approaches the kind of tube sound a gifted SET designer like Sasa Cokic gets when commissioned to employ pentodes in class A push/pull. To confirm that conclusion, I finally leashed up my Japanese 300B SET.

Ask Nelson Pass about the harmonic profile: if it is H2 or H3 predominant and how much (dB).

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/review-first-watt-m2

http://www.firstwatt.com/prod.html

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #30 on: 18 Mar 2018, 10:03 pm »
I had a similar situation once with a relatively local shop, from which I wasn't able to do an in-home audition of the speakers I was considering. Instead, I brought my components to the shop listening room to listen through the speakers early on a Saturday morning before opening time. I did end up purchasing the speakers, over 40 years ago.

Thank you all for your opinions, I find them all useful and interesting.
I only refer these three amplifiers because that's what there is available at my local shops. Not the F5 nor anything else; The M2, the 7150 and the Amp2000, being this last one twice the price of the other two - 2500 USD (new) against 1500 (used). I confess that I'm curious about the capabilities of the Amp2000, but my budget needs to stretch a bit beyond my wife's acceptance to get that one. And my speakers will stay with me for many years, so I think I won't need a lot of power in the future. That puts the Ampzilla a bit out of the equation, but I'd like to read opinions on this one as well.
Regarding the McIntosh, I like the looks but I don't know about the sound and although the looks are important (again the WAF), I choose the sound. And from what I read across the internet, First Watt (as everything else out of Nelson Pass' hands) is an amazing sounding machine. I never heard one, but I have the chance to get this one now. It's a shame I can't try them in my system, but meanwhile I asked the opinion of Mr. Pass himself about the synergies, and according to him (the reply came in less than one hour. From Nelson Pass. Fantastic!) the M2 would pair very well with the rest of the gear. So I think I'll give it a try. They also sell well, in case I want to trade it in the future.
I will listen to the different amplifiers anyway, even though in different systems. But at least I'll have a sample of the three.
And my "party levels" are not crazy volume levels like in the club, but loud enough for head banging. I guess the 25W class A through my 101dB speakers are enough...

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #31 on: 18 Mar 2018, 11:28 pm »
Why not look at the DAC or Icepower 1200as amps on this site. Seems people like them quite a bit.

Rocket Ronny

Folsom

« Reply #32 on: 19 Mar 2018, 02:55 am »
You can have an F5 made. The PCB boards are one of the best selling ever.

Mike B.

« Reply #33 on: 19 Mar 2018, 03:03 am »
The problem with only looking at efficiency ratings is it ignores the effects of impedance variations. A test tone will not duplicate the complexity of broadband music especially low frequency demands. Take a look at micro demands. Often the power requirement can be quite high for short periods. This results in clipping and distortion.