Chemex

santacore

Chemex
« on: 21 Mar 2014, 10:16 pm »

Just got a Chemex!! Is anyone else using this for brewing? Initial impression is very positive.

Why won't my imaging open in the correct direction?!?!

Nick77

Re: Chemex
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2014, 11:12 pm »
I have one, makes a great cup of coffee. I use sparingly for when I need to brew several cups at a time.  :thumb:

kernelbob

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2014, 01:16 am »
I had used the Chemex coffee brewer and filters for many years.  I've switched to the Hario coffee dripper and matching #2 (V60) filters.  The filters are thinner athan the Chemex and produce a more full flavored, yet still sediment free brew.  I place the Hario atop a Nissan wide mouth stainless steel insulated french press (sans the plunger assembly).  This way the coffee goes directly into the insulated container.  The Hario has unique spirals on the inside to allow air to escape during the brewing. Make sure you pour and discard hot water through the filter before adding the ground coffee.  Below are links to the Hario and to the filters on Amazon (I prefer the white filters to the natural). By the way, you can use the Hario filters in the Chemex, though the opening is a bit large for them.

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-VDG-02B-Glass-Coffee-Dripper/dp/B002VUSWGQ/ref=sr_1_9?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1395449858&sr=1-9&keywords=hario+coffee+filter

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Coffee-Filter-Original-Discription/dp/B00GH5JTHW/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1395450596&sr=1-10&keywords=hario+coffee+filter

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2014, 02:27 am »
I don't think I could live without my sludge ... French Press for me!

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2014, 06:12 pm »
We cold brew our coffee.  See:

http://toddycafe.com/

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2014, 07:29 pm »
I've been meaning to try a toddy system.  How does it compare to something like a decent espresso (americano) or good coffee traditionally brewed?

kernelbob

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2014, 07:39 pm »
I've also used the Toddy brewer with excellent results.  It seems that the cold brewing process disturbed the flavor complex less than hot brew methods.  On the other hand, hot brewing methods seem to extract a different profile from the bean.  I also use a French press on occasion and that does seem to be one of the best ways to evaluate a coffee's flavor complexity.  That's the closest method to what's used in coffee tastings where hot water is added to a cup of ground coffee and tasted without filtering anything from the cup.  For my daily brew, I use the Hario.  I take that coffee to work in a thermos to enjoy through the day.  I do think that the Hario filters deliver more of the flavor spectrum than the Chemex filters.
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2014, 10:30 pm by kernelbob »

skifasterslc

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2014, 10:12 pm »
I want to try that Toddy coffee

gnuyork

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2014, 11:11 pm »
Every morning.

I used to do a French Press, but I now much prefer the Chemex.

brother love

« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2014, 11:41 pm »
Got a Chemex as a gift from my son this past Christmas.  I love it.  It is a bit labor intensive, but well worth it.

gnuyork

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2014, 01:35 am »
Got a Chemex as a gift from my son this past Christmas.  I love it.  It is a bit labor intensive, but well worth it.

I like the routine...

nexer

« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2014, 03:43 am »
I find it difficult to get a consistent cup.  The more you brew the more difficult it is.  My method of choice is a clever cup.

persisting1

« Reply #12 on: 10 Dec 2014, 04:33 am »
I am considering buying a 6 cup Chemex. My short list also consists of the Hario V60 and the Bee House Dripper. Might have to pick up a few and decide which I like best.