LFP-V Edition Tube Rolling Thread

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: LFP-V Edition Tube Rolling Thread
« Reply #120 on: 12 Mar 2014, 03:40 pm »
Hi El Drifto and Rudy,

Welcome to the Audiocircle and the RWA forum - and thanks for posting!

I also have a pair of Telefunken's E88CCs that I enjoy.  Never heard them Cryo'd yet.
Soon enough I need to post some tube rolling updates here, as it has been a while.

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Vinnie

newzooreview

« Reply #121 on: 15 Mar 2014, 08:42 pm »
This thread was confusing me since the Liliana RE and the Isabella RE can both take some types of tubes but cannot share other types of tubes.

I made the diagram below as an unconfuserator. I believe it's correct?

newzooreview

« Reply #122 on: 15 Mar 2014, 08:56 pm »
Regarding the stock JJ tubes in the Liliana RE, I find a variety of types available. Eurotubes has a comprehensive list: https://www.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_submenu&category_id=2

Which of these 12AX7 variants of new JJs is stock with the Liliana RE?

ECC83S ( 12AX7 )          --the standard one seen in most online stores
ECC83S Gold Pin            --the gold pin version of the above with perhaps some additional quality control at the factory (?)
ECC83MG                      --a mid-length, ribbed plate version with lower gain than the standard version (#1 on this list)
ECC803S ( 12AX7 )        --a long-plate version
ECC803S Gold Pin          --a gold pin version of the long-plate version

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #123 on: 17 Mar 2014, 12:51 am »
This thread was confusing me since the Liliana RE and the Isabella RE can both take some types of tubes but cannot share other types of tubes.

I made the diagram below as an unconfuserator. I believe it's correct?

Hi newzooreview,

Looks good, but there have been times when I've shipped the Lilianas with JJ E88CC, and other times with JJ ECC83 (because I was out of one).  In the case of these two JJ tubes in the Liliana circuit, they sound very similar. 

Which of these 12AX7 variants of new JJs is stock with the Liliana RE?

This one:      ECC83S ( 12AX7 )  --the standard one seen in most online stores

Thanks for your post!

Vinnie

KenH

« Reply #124 on: 3 Jul 2014, 08:01 pm »
Hello All,

I'm using the Red Wine Corvina in balanced mode with LCD2s (stock cable)

Using the stock tube but would like a little more definition in the high frequencies and a bit more air and space.

Reading this thread it seems the Miniwatt Dario 7308/E188CC or Amperex 6922 Pinched Waist are highly recommended and have a more open, airy treble than the stock JJ..

I listen to all kinds of music from acoustic folk and jazz through to Hendrix and Stones, Nirvana.

i generally like a rich textured sound but also want to make sure the sound doesn't become too cloying, over-polite or congested.

Can anyone advise me if the above two tubes would be best for me or are there other alternatives?

Thanks,
Ken   

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #125 on: 8 Jul 2014, 02:58 pm »
Hello All,

I'm using the Red Wine Corvina in balanced mode with LCD2s (stock cable)

Using the stock tube but would like a little more definition in the high frequencies and a bit more air and space.

Reading this thread it seems the Miniwatt Dario 7308/E188CC or Amperex 6922 Pinched Waist are highly recommended and have a more open, airy treble than the stock JJ..

I listen to all kinds of music from acoustic folk and jazz through to Hendrix and Stones, Nirvana.

i generally like a rich textured sound but also want to make sure the sound doesn't become too cloying, over-polite or congested.

Can anyone advise me if the above two tubes would be best for me or are there other alternatives?

Thanks,
Ken

Hi Ken,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

I would recommend first upgrading the stock cable, as it does lack in high frequency extension.  While not cheap, this one
would be on the top of my list for the LCD-2s:

http://www.aloaudio.com/cables/headphone-cables/reference-8/reference-8-headphone-cable

If you don't want to spend that much, tube rolling would be my next recommendation.

I've been playing with the Telefunken E88CC (that are being sold new-in-box from Upscale Audio) and they seem to have better
resolution, without losing the midrange magic. 

But what what you are looking for, and for the price, the Mullard CV2492 is going to be hard to beat!  From first hand experience, I would get it from this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E88CC-CV2492-MULLARD-MILITARY-NOS-BOXED-/260577827114?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item3caba6192a

I know, I know - lots of choices.  I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them, assuming the tubes are in good shape.

Keep us posted!

Vinnie

KenH

« Reply #126 on: 10 Jul 2014, 08:01 pm »
Many thanks Vinnie.

Unfortunately at the moment anyway I think the cable upgrade is out.

But I will definitely check out your recommendations about the tubes.

Thanks again. Will report back about any changes I make.

hiradi

• in my 70th year and one windy ride !!!
« Reply #127 on: 1 Aug 2014, 12:53 am »
I have now had the Signature 16 amplifier for a few month and before writing a review , must quickly tell you about my tube rolling result...
Luckily , in my long crazy valve days , I accumulated a nice box of goodies...so , the dipping began ...as the Sig. 16 is a very neutral amplifier and my 99 db Horns crossover  at 900 Hz to a 12" , my thought was to get a bit more "valve flavor"  , so straight to Mullard and Brimar ....found the 12AX7 family to have better control than the 6DJ8's etc....
to cut a long story short...
the one outstanding with absolutely stunning bass control was the Siemens E81CC...triple mica...
Testing was done with Reference Recordings RR-S3 CD "Track 3 - Isaac Albeniz , Festival Day in Seville"...
enjoy...more to come soon... :)...
Helmut

HPDJ

« Reply #128 on: 1 Aug 2014, 03:55 am »
Thanks for these latest tube impressions! I might be ready to experiment again......the stock tube has been awesome for me and my system. I like it's tonal balance, but if I could have more of that kind of flavoring then......hmmmm :)

I had some gold lion 6922's from cryoset that I liked at first and thought I preferred them to the stock JJ's......but after a while a put the JJ's back in and liked them more. I feel like I burned the GL's in long enough as well so that wasn't really a question :)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #129 on: 4 Aug 2014, 06:07 pm »
Hi Helmut,

Thanks for your post!

Happy listening,

Vinnie

hiradi

• in my 70th year and one windy ride !!!
« Reply #130 on: 12 Aug 2014, 06:10 am »
a "down under" update... :green:...

the previous tube which made me very happy was the Siemens E81CC/6201...
but , as usual after a while back to the famous tube box to see what else is in there...
the unusual sleeper I liked was a CV4024/12AT7WA which I believe was made by Mullard ,triple mica ,square getter...unusual configuration what attracted me here and yes , very nice...bass not as good as the Siemens , but... :D...a bargain...
and than a bit more digging and there was a couple of gold pin Siemens E188CC/7308 with CCA written on the glass...
whoopee !!!
Straight away , the Siemens balanced sound was there , with the Mullard midrange "richness" added...this one will stay in for a while...maybe more surprises later ???
 :thumb:

lousyreeds1

« Reply #131 on: 2 Oct 2014, 12:56 pm »
Hi all,

I'm looking for new tubes for my Signature 15, Ginevra and Isabellina HPA (all have stock tubes right now) and I'm hoping you'll help me decide.  I'm looking for more immediacy and transparency (micro-dynamics, "speed," etc) while taking a little zing off the highs and retaining the rich and meaty midrange.  I'm considering the following three tubes:

Miniwatt Darios (are these the same as the ones receiving all the acclaim, and does anyone have experience with this seller?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-PAIR-PHILIPS-MINIWATT-DARIO-E188CC-CCa-6DJ8-E88CC-O-GETTER-NOS-/121388263472

Telefunken E88CC from Upscale Audio

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/telefunken-e88cc-6922/

Mullard CV2492 from an eBay seller recommended by Vinnie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E88CC-CV2492-MULLARD-MILITARY-NOS-BOXED-/260577827114?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I'd appreciate any recommendations you might have from among these three!

Thanks,
Oliver

CSI

« Reply #132 on: 2 Oct 2014, 03:06 pm »
Of the three I only have experience with the Miniwatt Darios. I tried a boat load of tubes in my Sig 15 and later my Sig 16. I settled on the Darios for all my RWA gear (which includes the Bellina DAC and an Analogica). They do pretty much what you are looking for. Got mine from Upscale Audio. Kevin is always great to deal with. But the Darios are pricey and getting pricier.

lousyreeds1

« Reply #133 on: 3 Oct 2014, 06:59 am »
Thanks for your thoughts, CS1. Upscale doesn't have the Miniwatt Dario anymore. The Miniwatts I mentioned in my last post are a lot cheaper than I would expect, so I'd appreciate someone's assessment of whether they are the real thing and if this is a reputable seller.  I'd be particularly interested in hearing from someone who can compare the Miniwatt to the Telefunken E88CC from Upscale. Thanks!

catmansound

« Reply #134 on: 3 Oct 2014, 11:54 am »
Way back early in this thread, Vinnie offered up some interesting options, one of which are the Mullard CV2492, which are also mentioned a few posts up here as well, I bought a matched pair from 1970 from Tubemonger.com I think I paid around $200 matched pair, maybe it was less, i can't remember. I own the Isabella and 70.2's LFP-V's, and found that these, for me, work very well in the Isabella. I use a pair of Mullard E188CC Dimple Disk GT in the amps. The sound difference is most affected when I tube roll with the Isabella, but I think that's typical for preamps. As you have the Sig's the differences would most likely be notable. The CV2492's are very warm, very deep, a lot of bass, which I like, and a pretty clear high end, but the highs could be a bit more up front, IMHO, (Dali's Helicon 400's and now Dali Epicon 8's), I think it's those ribbon tweeters. Overall, the Mullard's are something you might want to look at if you are thinking of a sound very different from most of the others i have tried, including the stock JJ's that came with the units and a pair of Tungsram PCC88's from 1971. I admit that all the hype about the Miniwatts has had me intrigued, but i haven't been able to find them at a price I was willing to pay, so for now, I'm comfortable with this setup.

cheers,
Anthony

catmansound

« Reply #135 on: 3 Oct 2014, 03:43 pm »
newzooreview's unconfuserator is a great diagram, thanks for that. As I'm awaiting response from Vinnie on updating all my LFP-V equipment to RE, or maybe who knows what that tinkerator has in store, the diagram got me thinking, what would happen if one were to accidentally plug in a tube 'not supported or rated' by the equipment? never had that happen, but with multiple tubes kicking around my house, I'm sure it may come up some day.
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2014, 08:06 pm by catmansound »

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
« Reply #136 on: 26 Nov 2014, 12:05 am »
I'm bumping this thread back up. I hope no one minds.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried these Telefunken E88CC's that Upscale currently has for under $150 in a Sig 16? Thoughts?

- Woody

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #137 on: 7 Dec 2014, 03:56 am »
I'm bumping this thread back up. I hope no one minds.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried these Telefunken E88CC's that Upscale currently has for under $150 in a Sig 16? Thoughts?

- Woody

Hi Woody,

Thanks for the bump - feel free to keep this thread going!

The Telefunken E88CC from Upscale is what I'd call a "good all-around tube" and improvement over the stock JJ.  Not what I personally have found to be the "best or near-best" with anything, but it seems to be a nice improvement on many things.  Not cheap, but not terribly expensive.  I recommend at least owning one in your collection.  I don't think anyone will have any regrets with this tube...

Vinnie

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
« Reply #138 on: 8 Dec 2014, 04:31 am »
Hi Woody,

Thanks for the bump - feel free to keep this thread going!

The Telefunken E88CC from Upscale is what I'd call a "good all-around tube" and improvement over the stock JJ.  Not what I personally have found to be the "best or near-best" with anything, but it seems to be a nice improvement on many things.  Not cheap, but not terribly expensive.  I recommend at least owning one in your collection.  I don't think anyone will have any regrets with this tube...

Vinnie

Thanks for the reply, Vinnie. Very helpful.

The stock JJ is pretty good really. I've rolled in a Sylvania 7308 I had in my stash while I wait for a Gold Pin Amperex 7308 to arrive from one of my normal tube pushers.

The Sylvania sounds good... It's a bit quieter than the stock JJ, but it's very UN-inspiring. Just less musical somehow. I'm thinking the Amperex will be the ticket.

- Woody

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #139 on: 13 Dec 2014, 07:15 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

I am enjoying reading the comments from everyone regarding their experiences with tube rolling in their LFP-V Edition equipment.  I have a newbee question.  I have a Signature 15 LFP-V Edition amplifier that I got from you last fall.  It is not the integrated version.  This still has a tube stage?  I thought that the tube stage was located in the preamplifier section of the integrated version.  Thanks.

Blu99Zoomer