If Tidal.com goes belly up

slugworth

If Tidal.com goes belly up
« on: 17 Sep 2016, 02:51 am »
 Tidal.com seems to be hemorrhaging money. What are my cd bit rate streaming options?
Deezer Elite requires Sonos which I have for a bedroom system, but there's no way I'm going to use it for my main system. Qobuz is unavailable stateside. Going  vpn is probably too much of a hassle.
 Not looking for hirez, native dsd, or whatever.

Mike-48

Re: If Tidal.com goes belly up
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2016, 05:43 am »
I have no idea, but if they do go bust, there will be plenty of opinions about alternatives, then. You can bet money on it.  :)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2016, 07:10 am »
I really enjoy Tidal. I hope it stays afloat.

Yomaha

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2016, 05:18 pm »
I'm loving Tidal as well....especially with Roon integration.  I find myself spending  hours discovering new music.  It's really a blast and sound quality is great.  I've heard ppl talking about Apple buying Tidal.  I hope they don't bc if they turn Tidal into anything like the now un-user friendly iTunes that would be a shame IMHO.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2016, 03:37 am »
Seems Tidal groin kicking is fashionable. I don't want to go back to a pre-Tidal world! I use it every day and customers love it. Please, support Tidal - sign up!

Mike-48

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2016, 03:58 am »
Yes, I agree. I am frustrated by some aspects of Tidal; still, to me it is worth the money to access a huge library without having to buy everything.

rlee8394

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2016, 04:17 am »
Just signed up for Tidal HiFi tonight!  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2016, 10:26 am »
Rumors of Tidal going under have been around for several months.  Even asking about a rumor feeds the flames.  Feels like an election year ploy. 

RoadTripper

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2016, 03:20 pm »
If TIDAL goes belly up, I might also.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2016, 03:22 pm »
Crooked Apple has rigged the online music business. :lol:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2016, 04:03 pm »
Crooked Apple has rigged the online music business. :lol:
:lol:

fredgarvin

« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2016, 05:01 pm »
There's no doubt Apple has an army of website and industry shills.

Mike-48

« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2016, 05:07 pm »
Rumors of Tidal going under have been around for several months.  Even asking about a rumor feeds the flames.  Feels like an election year ploy.

Well, not exactly.  It's factual that they are losing a lot of money.

http://bgr.com/2016/09/13/tidal-losing-money-jay-z-broke/

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2016, 06:03 pm »
100 problems? That's a lot of problems to manage especially when you're losing that badly.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2016, 06:07 pm »
The more problems you have, the more they are likely to take you down. Hopefully that doesn't happen to Tidal.

dB Cooper

« Reply #15 on: 10 Dec 2016, 02:42 pm »
I hope they work it out. I just signed up for free 30-day trial and I'm impressed. Good UI, good selection, and the lossless SQ crushes Apple Music and its ilk. The difference is obvious. Unfortunately, the masses- especially GenX'ers listening to music based on fake instruments, fake acoustics, autotuned vocals and the like, won't know or care about the difference, so we'll see. I'm 99% sure I'm signing up after the free trial.

wushuliu

« Reply #16 on: 10 Dec 2016, 04:24 pm »
Tidal won't last.  There will be a race to the bottom and only two major players. Say goodbye to lossless.  At least in the US.

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 11 Dec 2016, 04:35 am »
Sadly, that's probably true... Almost everybody "wants quality" but opts for "cheap" when push comes to shove. Guess I'll enjoy it while I can.

Philistine

« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2016, 03:43 pm »
I've been a Tidal subscriber from day 1 and love it, it's allowed me to discover new artists, it's convenient and the ability to download onto a mobile device is a nice feature.
Maybe MQA streaming will be the Tidal savior?

Roon should also find a way of promoting Tidal subscriptions, without Tidal there's no need for me to have a Roon subscription.   

ctsooner

« Reply #19 on: 11 Dec 2016, 05:40 pm »
Maybe it will go belly up, but I was talking with two folks in the industry yesterday and they feel strongly that Tidal will make it and that even if Apple does buy it, that they will keep the CD quality part of it alone.  Hope they are correct.