Well Tempered Lab Royale 400 with 16" tonearm. It weighs in at a healthy 46kg.

newvinyl

Anyone have any info on this...

threadkiller

Firebaugh's latest. and has that lovely stand..and long long arm..
Looks tits!

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
It doesn't look great does it? But what does it sound like?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
That's quite a departure from his previous products, isn't it?

newvinyl

Looks like the headshell offset is 0 degrees, straight in line with the tone arm, no offset at all.
Could that be the case?

watercourse

Wow, a mass-loaded CLD plinth, tube phono stage, and cartridges too? WTF WTL?

ADiG

TimF

Good lord, one could use that arm as a back-scratcher! Nice looking table overall though.

threadkiller

Nice to see Bill still sporting his white belt and polyesters...

watercourse

Next time, the demo should be someplace other than a funeral home, or at least hide the casket better.

threadkiller

Lol... Good point... not sure what all that's about..

Erocka2000

I really hope he used a better motor than the one used in the Amadeus.  And I really wish he switched back to a rubber belt.  As good as the thread sounds, durability is not as good as with a rubber belt.  And I'd trade that little bit of extra sound for a belt that I don't have to replace every few months or so.  If those changes happened, I would really consider going back to this Well Tempered. 

sebrof

I really hope he used a better motor than the one used in the Amadeus.  And I really wish he switched back to a rubber belt.  As good as the thread sounds, durability is not as good as with a rubber belt.  And I'd trade that little bit of extra sound for a belt that I don't have to replace every few months or so.  If those changes happened, I would really consider going back to this Well Tempered.
I wasn't aware there is an issue with the motor on the Amadeus. Have they been failing or something?

I know you went through heck and back with the thread/belt on your Amadeus (that was you, right?), but I'm glad they use thread. I have had my table since November and I am on my 2nd belt. The 1st belt I broke and was my fault. I paid $3 for a 400 yard spool of thread that will literally last me a lifetime. I'll never need to wait for a belt I ordered to arrive, never need to worry about them becoming obsolete. I made the jig that is described in the manual so I'm ready to go.
I'd take an arm cue, though  :D

threadkiller

Well, quibble away... and sometimes rightly so... Yet as Uncle Felix would say- she can't sew, she can't cook, but oh what a woman... ( Barbra Stanwyck movie)
That's still how I feel about the Amadeus.. one heck of a great sounding table.

Now of course you'll be quibbling over the Royale price..

mick wolfe

Well, quibble away... and sometimes rightly so... Yet as Uncle Felix would say- she can't sew, she can't cook, but oh what a woman... ( Barbra Stanwyck movie)
That's still how I feel about the Amadeus.. one heck of a great sounding table.

Now of course you'll be quibbling over the Royale price..

Agreed....As good as the Amadeus sounds, I'll put up with a few nits. Belts are a non issue. I have several in reserve and my last one has lasted nearly a year.

threadkiller

The belt breakage thing is still a mystery to me.. mine rarely break, I can't even remember the last time. I play all the time, I know at least once a month I go to bed with it still spinning, like a big dummy. Yet I have two friends who must use those things to floss with- breaking belts right and left. It just makes no sense..

So nobody knows the Royale price? I've got a guesstimate...

ADiG

sebrof

USE THE SAME GAUGE NYLON FISHING AND NOT BREAK EVER!
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119558.msg1321055#msg1321055

Also, on page 3 of that thread is a picture Mike Pranka sent to me of the thread he recommends.

Erocka2000

Agreed....As good as the Amadeus sounds, I'll put up with a few nits. Belts are a non issue. I have several in reserve and my last one has lasted nearly a year.

I don't want to derail this thread and I don't deny that your belt may have lasted a year.  But there is no way at all that it kept the proper tension for that entire year.  The belts stretch out fairly easy, especially if you change speeds a lot, which I why I would prefer a rubber belt. 

Does anyone know if the Royale will have push-button speed changes?  And does anyone know what the price may be?