JVC HA-S400 Headphones- the $27 wonder?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
JVC HA-S400 Headphones- the $27 wonder?
« on: 17 Dec 2012, 06:10 pm »
The JVC HA-S400 Stereo Headphones-"with Carbon Nanotubes Diaphragms" (is how its written on the label) came to my attention via a forum member here. The $27 headphones are the hot cans right now over at head-fi and for good reason...they sound excellent. Mine are 30 minutes broken in and I can hear the bass get more and more defined. Not louder, defined as in the same type of bass my HE5-LE's have. I didn't say better than just similar to. These things have a solid build are very comfortable, fold up and sound great to me out of the box.

They deserve a thread so here it is.....I wonder what the next ones up the JVC line with nanotubes sound like??? Anybody else hear these yet??? :thumb:

They look rather large in the picture but they are not at all, outstanding look I think.......

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Re: JVC HA-S400 Headphones- the $27 wonder?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2012, 06:27 pm »
Not yet, but i miss the JVC sound since my HArx700 broke. They seem tempting tho, one thing that i love from jvc cans is that they are easy to mod.

viggen

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2012, 07:39 pm »
Sometimes JVC would sell a fantastic headphone for cheap, and sometimes they will sell crap headphones for a lot.  It's a mix blessing.  Having worked for them for a few years, I know the didn't do this by design. 

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2012, 09:15 pm »
I have been listening to these off and on for the past 4 hours and I have heard them change for sure. At this point I can honestly say these are pretty amazing. What is the Nanotube thingy they mention in the title?? Is it like a disk with a whole bunch of super tiny holes in it (tubes) and that disk or diaphragm is what flex's when charged and pushes out the sound waves?? Or am I way, way off?

These have so many characteristics of the best cans I've ever heard. I'm amazed how similar they sound to some of my higher priced units, shocked in fact. I'll continue listening to them over the next few days but I'm keeping these for sure. Thanks Zepp!!!!!  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: 

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2012, 10:19 pm »
Sometimes JVC would sell a fantastic headphone for cheap

I think these could be called "fantastic"headphones for cheap ( $ 56 ) as well . I've done some mods to them & they sing beautifully with my Matrix M-stage head amp. Loved them.

JVC HA-RX900

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2012, 10:43 pm »
If anyone wants to buy me a pair for Christmas... I'll try them out. (the 400 or 500)

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2012, 01:29 am »
What is the Nanotube thingy they mention in the title??

Basically, carbon nanotubes are pure carbon atoms strung together into molecules of super-strength. In this case, for $27 I'd bet a lot of money that it's just a marketing term. I imagine truly using cn's would be very expensive. Imagine (in the future) a fishing line thick wire that wouldn't bend with a person jumping on top of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nanotube#Strength

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2012, 02:52 am »
I have been listening to these off and on for the past 4 hours and I have heard them change for sure. At this point I can honestly say these are pretty amazing. What is the Nanotube thingy they mention in the title?? Is it like a disk with a whole bunch of super tiny holes in it (tubes) and that disk or diaphragm is what flex's when charged and pushes out the sound waves?? Or am I way, way off?

These have so many characteristics of the best cans I've ever heard. I'm amazed how similar they sound to some of my higher priced units, shocked in fact. I'll continue listening to them over the next few days but I'm keeping these for sure. Thanks Zepp!!!!!  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

So that's now like 6 people who have all confirmed the same break-in on these phones...it's pretty remarkable. There is no doubt in my mind that these phones changed after an hour. They went from having a total crap low end to a clean, beautiful one with some nice extension. Very happy with this purchase...glad you're enjoying yours, too  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2012, 04:29 am »
Basically, carbon nanotubes are pure carbon atoms strung together into molecules of super-strength. In this case, for $27 I'd bet a lot of money that it's just a marketing term. I imagine truly using cn's would be very expensive. Imagine (in the future) a fishing line thick wire that wouldn't bend with a person jumping on top of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nanotube#Strength
Thanks for finding that. I can totally see the PR piece thing especially if real tubes are actually used. When you hear them see if you don't think to yourself "how did they get this sound so cheap". They are plastic but not cheesy plastic, nice strong plastic so these are either a test rollout of some sort or they hit the lotto as these sound more like 270 instead of 27. After a good 6 hours here today with these playing music or soundtrack audio the whole time I am blown away. There is some type of elec-trickery going on here, there's gotta be.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2012, 04:36 am »
Sometimes JVC would sell a fantastic headphone for cheap, and sometimes they will sell crap headphones for a lot.  It's a mix blessing.  Having worked for them for a few years, I know the didn't do this by design.

Hey what did you used to do for J(ust). V(ery). C(onfused).  I worked at JVC during thier glory years on the West Coast for 15 years.  I still have my old HA-D990's love em.  I think they were the best earwear they ever made. 

Steve

dmatt

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2012, 02:07 pm »
The $27 headphones are the hot cans right now over at head-fi and for good reason...they sound excellent.

Would you be willing to share your source?  A quick search shows them at Amazon for more like $50 with shipping.

Thanks

David

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2012, 02:38 pm »

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2012, 03:40 pm »
Would you be willing to share your source?  A quick search shows them at Amazon for more like $50 with shipping.

Thanks

David

Methinks you were thinking of the jvc ha-s500 which sell for $55 that we were talking about on the other thread.

(Edit - OK, maybe not!  :lol:)
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2012, 12:16 am by charmerci »

randytsuch

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2012, 03:55 pm »
Methinks you were thinking of the jvc ha-s500 which sell for $55 that we were talking about on the other thread.
Good lead in for my question

Is it worth it to step up to the 500?

Randy

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2012, 04:11 pm »
I don't think anyone has tried them (500's) yet? Go for it!!! :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2012, 04:19 pm »
I might have to crack these open and see what I can screw fiddle with, any ideas for mods? If you've modded others tell us what can be done maybe when you get time...... :eyebrows:

randytsuch

« Reply #16 on: 18 Dec 2012, 05:18 pm »
The head fi 500 thread had mods
I'll see if I can find them later

Randy

dmatt

« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2012, 07:51 pm »
Here is the Amazon link I used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008P8EXRU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Thank you for the link.  The Amazon search I did on my phone pulled up a different source at the $50 price point. 

HAS400B are on order.  I look forward to comparing them to my 20+ year old Sony MDR pair -- so old the headband vinyl has flaked off.

Cheers!

David

Cheeseboy

« Reply #18 on: 18 Dec 2012, 08:16 pm »
I bought a pair on Amazon.  I could use a pair to travel with and leave the others at home.   Next on my shopping list a battery amp that can run off my phone or laptop.  Any ideas for these headphones?  $100 or less?

randytsuch

« Reply #19 on: 19 Dec 2012, 05:25 am »
I broke down and just ordered a pair of the 400's.

Seemed to be some mixed reviews at headfi if the 500 was worth the extra money.

I have to pay Cal sales tax, so I was close to $30, but still cheap enough to make it easy to try.

May still try the 500's next year, will see.  They are harder to find, seem like it would be ebay coming from Japan.

I have seen guys changing the pads (most common mod), and other mods where you come some holes with tape.  More research when I get time.

Randy