What is the audio effect of breaking in?

Ultralight

What is the audio effect of breaking in?
« on: 2 Jul 2015, 11:32 pm »
I am told that with full rangers, break in often makes a greater difference than with multi-drivers. 

What happens to the sound as it goes through break in?  Does the mids get more pronounced?  Does the bass extension go deeper?  Is it a very significant difference where it almost sound like two different speakers or is it more small incremental change?  And do the Alnico vs Ferrite all break in to similar degrees of change?

Thanks for all the answers in the past to my queries.  It's been an educational journey with many of you... :thumb:

UL

Trismos

Re: What is the audio effect of breaking in?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2015, 02:30 am »
I'm what you call a skeptic. I would suggest that unless you've listened to a wide range of speakers and associated equipment, and have a pretty well educated ear for what people mean when they come here to wax poetic about how the artists seems like they're almost in the room...... You probably won't notice anything at all. Your big initial differences moving from mediocre to better equipment, especially speakers IMHO, will far outweigh any perceived difference from 'break-in'. There's just too much associated with just simply getting used to the sound over a given amount of time.

I've been a part of this hobby for long enough, in a serious enough manner, that I have 4 different amps (Including a decent tube amp and a modded Virtue M-901), several sources including a dedicated music server with a pretty darn good DAC, a SACD player, and a turntable, and two rather good sets of speakers in my listening room (including GR Super-Vs) - along with a mess of upgraded wires and battery power supplies - and I can truthfully say that not once have I suddenly realized that after such and such many hours on any given piece of equipment or ancillary device, have I thought it sounded any better than when I first got it. Except maybe the tube amp. As it is I have to turn that thing on and leave it warm up for a good half hour before I like to listen to it anyways, because I want to hear the music and not the equipment.

Of course, as with all subjective subjects, YMMV!

Regards
Dave

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2015, 04:15 am »
I don't deny we get used to a certain sound over time, but break in does make a difference with Omega speakers, and it's not subjective.  A few months back I had a pair of brand new Super 3i that I compared to a pair of Super 3T with lots of time on them in the same system.  These two models have identical cabinet volume and are essentially the same speaker with the exception of how the dimensions are distributed.  There was definitely a difference in the sound between the two speakers.  The high time 3Ts sounded warmer and smoother.

All Omegas I've had with the exception of the Super 7 have sounded great out of the box, and only improve with time.  The 7s need some time, but if one is patient they will be more than amply rewarded, as the 7 is a great speaker and a killer bargain.

All speakers must break in - some more than others depending on the spider and cone surround used.  It's a simple mechanical process that takes place as the driver moves in and out.

steve f

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2015, 06:29 am »
I'm not a big believer in break in times. (I've been an audiophile almost forever, and have owned, and still own a lot of stuff. As in five turntables etc) Here's my take. For electronics. Caps form rather quickly, most other parts shouldn't change much at all. Tubes settle in in a matter of days, after that they start wearing out. Wires don't change.

Mechanical devices like phono cartridges do break in as their suspensions move. Drive belts wear out. Speaker drivers have suspensions, surrounds, and cones. They need break in time but not a whole lot. Some drivers, I find small Fostex units for example, will break in, then if left unused for a month, will settle and need some more break in time. Re-break?

I know some people claim all kinds of differences in their equipment. If they're happy so be it. But think about this. If equipment has long break in times, and the equipment varies as to how it breaks in, why buy it in the first place. The company that can't provide consistent gear must have very poor quality control.

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2015, 11:18 pm »

While I can't say every speaker I've owned needed break-in time, the Omega Outlaw 1.5's took the longest to break in of any speaker I've owned.  Dunno why, but they took a loooooooong time.

Lee_in_Canada

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2015, 04:20 am »
I'm not sure if it's my brain.

However I feel my speakers definitely improved with time.  My alnico 6 out on the first day had a shout that disappeared within a day or two.  Their range also increased quite a lot.  Also they became the most resolving piece of equipment in the chain and every adjustment since then has been a clear difference.

Ultralight

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2015, 06:01 am »
Thanks.  What exactly is a 'shout'?

Thanks,
UL

I'm not sure if it's my brain.

However I feel my speakers definitely improved with time.  My alnico 6 out on the first day had a shout that disappeared within a day or two.  Their range also increased quite a lot.  Also they became the most resolving piece of equipment in the chain and every adjustment since then has been a clear difference.

Ultralight

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2015, 06:49 am »
Thanks.  What exactly is 'shout'?

Thanks,
UL