B&W P7 - power requirements, general opinions?

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
B&W P7 - power requirements, general opinions?
« on: 1 Jun 2015, 07:49 pm »
Hi there!

I'm looking at a set of P7s for my office headphone setup...I have a few amplifier designs I'm considering, but I was wondering at how much power you've found it takes to make these happy? Also, am I right to be looking at these in the $400-and-under category, or is there something else I should be considering instead?

Thanks!

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Re: B&W P7 - power requirements, general opinions?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2015, 05:59 pm »
Thanks. I do tend to prefer things RTA'ed to neutral, so that's a good sign...

The SRH940s were the other ones I was considering. Open backs are out, because of noise concerns.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2015, 05:46 pm »
I've heard the same thing about Beyer T70s, but the response curves I've seen look anything but.

Now I just need to decide whether or not to spring $800 on a used DAC-1... :(

toocool4

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2015, 12:49 pm »
The T70 sound is on the brighter side of neutral, if your recording is less than perfect / your amp is not up to the task stay away from the T70. It’s not a forgiving headphone, unlike the T1 and T90.

I use a T1 / T70 / T90 hybrid, my very own making. I only use it while out and about.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2015, 11:07 pm »
P7 not super power hungry; they sell them at the "Fruit Stand" (read between the lines there), so they can be driven by "i" devices and their ilk. They probably would benefit from the low output impedance of a good amp however, and dynamics might be punchier too.

The B&W's have great build quality but that's about all I like about them. The clamping force on all their cans is quite high and the P7's don't fit me all that well as I don't have rectangular ears and dislike sealed cans on GP. My favorite B&W's are actually the little P3.