BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

The Rang

Re: BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1100 on: 17 Apr 2016, 04:57 pm »
Thanks audio.bill, that's what I thought/hoped but my understanding (or lack thereof) of music files is extremely limited.
I'll drag myself out of the 90's one of these days LOL

onthefly

« Reply #1101 on: 26 Apr 2016, 02:18 pm »
I ripped my collection of DTS CD's to flac using dbpoweramp. With my BDP-2 routed through my Oppo 105 they sound good. Played through my BDA-3 there is only a hissing sound. Anyone had a similar experience or have a solution?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1102 on: 26 Apr 2016, 02:31 pm »
I ripped my collection of DTS CD's to flac using dbpoweramp. With my BDP-2 routed through my Oppo 105 they sound good. Played through my BDA-3 there is only a hissing sound. Anyone had a similar experience or have a solution?

HI

The BDA-3 is a PCM stereo or DSD stereo only DAC.

james

onthefly

« Reply #1103 on: 26 Apr 2016, 02:35 pm »
HI

The BDA-3 is a PCM stereo or DSD stereo only DAC.

james

Thanks for the quick reply, James.
I'm sure dbpoweramp just ripped the stereo layer.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1104 on: 26 Apr 2016, 02:40 pm »

Ok sorry I do not know why then as I assume it has to do with the way the file was recorded...  have not tried that myself yet.

james

gahabana

« Reply #1105 on: 17 May 2016, 08:06 pm »
hi, am pretty sure dBPowerAmp ripped DTS stream not converting it to PCM. Oppo can decode DTS, BDA-3 does not. Suggest you use pc-tool to convert DTS into PCM ... i use foobar2000 for that purpose, not sure if dbpoweramp can do it.
hope this helps ?

Phil A

« Reply #1106 on: 17 May 2016, 08:42 pm »

Jhayman

• BDP-2/BDA-2/PSB Stratus Goldi/McCormack DNA-500
« Reply #1107 on: 30 Jun 2016, 02:58 pm »
Have you tried to install in Compatibility Mode?

Right-click on Setup.exe

Properties > Compatibility tab > Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7

Steve

Thank you I too am using Win 10

Did anyone else notice under audio devices the new MM software removed the original audio device and now only has the BUC board listed..
At least on mine it's shows this?

Marius

« Reply #1108 on: 13 Jul 2016, 08:06 pm »
Hi James,

Is the reclocking (and possibly the format- and sample rate conversion) mentioned in Andrew's review of Mutec's MC-3+USB here https://andreweverard.com/2016/07/12/review-mutec-mc-3-usb-clocking-the-best-way-to-improve-your-digital-audio/ anywhere near useful in the Bryston lineup, or does the Bryston family of dacs have its own reclocking implementation (as i understood it, being the architecture of a asynchronous setup per definition?)

Andrew stresses the importance of jitter elimination and prevention like you always do, and seems rather pleased with this new device's design and capabilities on that subject.

If not, would this be something Bryston would consider adding in the lineup (next iteration of BDA4 maybe....)

Please give us your thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Marius

drummermitchell

« Reply #1109 on: 15 Sep 2016, 11:51 pm »
ZZZZZZ,not much happenin Marious,I ordered a 3+USB and should be here tomorrow.
I have been curious about this also and especially when studios and audio folks are getting great results between source and dac.
Even with very high end dacs.
Surprised no one has even commented,whatever, I will find out myself if I can squeeze more out of the BDP-2 and BDA-2,
actually there is a guy on computer audiophile who has been messin with this and is quite happy it seems..sooo for me I can return the MUTEC MC-3 in 30 days so if she doesn't improve I can send her back,my cost for shipping but it's worth it to find out.
Will let you know ......

Marius

« Reply #1110 on: 16 Sep 2016, 09:37 am »
I have been curious about this also and especially when studios and audio folks are getting great results between source and dac.
Surprised no one has even commented,whatever, I will find out myself if I can squeeze more out of the BDP-2 and BDA-2,
actually there is a guy on computer audiophile who has been messin with this and is quite happy it seems..sooo for me I can return the MUTEC MC-3 in 30 days so if she doesn't improve I can send her back,my cost for shipping but it's worth it to find out.
Will let you know ......
cool, please do.
Thanks,
Marius

adol290

« Reply #1111 on: 16 Sep 2016, 01:40 pm »
Will let you know ......

Drummer,

Here is my experience with a similar device the   IFI micro – iUSB3.0

I have an Esoteric K-03x CD/SACD player and wanted to use the DAC portion in it for my digital files.

I bought a BDP-2 and hooked it up to the K-03x DAC with a cheaper USB cable.

The sound was ok, but not up to par with playing just the CD player.

I then upgraded my cable to the top of the line Audio Sensibility USB cable. The sound was
 much better, but still not quite there. Flat sounding. The cd player has a bit more open
 and larger 3d soundstage. Also smoother with more macro details.

I then bought the IFI USB Micro USB, and a second audio sensibility USB cable.

So my setup is now

BDP-2 > USB into IFI > USB out of IFI > into the K-03x DAC portion.

I ran the system for 500 hrs to allow for burn in. This is by best my digital has sounded.
 It is very close to the CD player, but still has just a very slight touch of flatness.
 I do seem to get a bit more detail with the digital, but it is not quite as smooth.
 I am splitting hairs here, but remember the cd player is almost 4 times the cost
  of the BDP-2.

BTW - My tests are with CD's i ripped to FLAC lossless using DBpoweramp.

I will be curious to hear the results of you test.

Where did you purchase the 3+USB from.

drummermitchell

« Reply #1112 on: 16 Sep 2016, 11:35 pm »
Purchased off EBAY(BZBEXPRESS)lot of people looking at this and the...well the reviews even in front of a digital player and then to the dac.
Reviews are very good...we'll see(I have a 30 day return).
seems they get more information from just regular cds which is my biggest thing.
if i can get more out of the BDP-2 ..BDA-2 :thumb:,
Frig,Mutec MC-3+USB came today and of course my extra AES cable came also but FEDEX needed me to be here to sign for the cable(two delivery guys).
I even posted a note on the door stating to put it in the breezeway,even with my ph#to contact.
Have the Mutec and no extra cable and it's the weekend :cry:Oh well.
I'll ph Fedex Monday and tell the drive to put it in the breeze way as thats what I did with the MC-3...15,00 ish can. compare to the Bryston AES cable,I knew something would go haywire .ah well,
hope its worth the wait.

drummermitchell

« Reply #1113 on: 25 Sep 2016, 01:33 am »
What a bitchin last week,
My AES cable came in a couple days(thxBryston),the MUTEC MC-3+USB came of course in silver.
Anyway was shipped back and have had the Mutec(in Black) for a couple of days.
A tad understanding the control functions(two buttons)but after a half hour it all sinks in...LOL.
I have only have had it up an running for a couple of hours and hopefully I have it set they way she should be(I believe so),
otherwise we'll see on Monday(Chris(MUTEC).
what I can hear instantly is a way bigger stage and I'm talking space a big opening between instruments,more mid bass punch,tighter ect.
Please as this is just a rush test,my BDA-2,BDP-2 I love the sound and the Mutec seems to take a smear off the window.
Definitely does not degrade anything at all.
Like anything new when you hear something you get a tad excited so on that note I will say,next week I will know/hear a lot more....
so far the Mutec MC-3+USB is a keeper,as I know what new gear can do to the mind so I am just trying to be neutral.
So far very good,even by just squeezing the Orange for the last few drops of nectar :D.

drummermitchell

« Reply #1114 on: 6 Oct 2016, 11:38 pm »
Love the  sound of my my BDA-2/BDP-2....my MUTEC MC-3+USB takes them to another dimension :thumb: :D :D :D :D.
Totally amazed how wide the stage gets(live)bottom end tighteness end the friggin reverb that was hidden  before is fantastic.
If you can do a home audition( iF you are wary)I took a chance.30 day trial).
The cloudy days are lifted and we didn"t know it as the BDA-2 BDP-2 are SUPERB.
Just like my torus(s)the Mutec is stayin...

been holding off to really listen to the differences........WOW.end of....

mfinz8

« Reply #1115 on: 29 Dec 2016, 12:00 am »
Hi, I have a BDA-2 Dac and was wondering if any new firmware has ever been released?

If it has, where would I get it from and what improvements would it bring if any?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1116 on: 29 Dec 2016, 12:20 am »
Hi, I have a BDA-2 Dac and was wondering if any new firmware has ever been released?

If it has, where would I get it from and what improvements would it bring if any?

Hi

No - nothing new - the software has remained the same.

james

mfinz8

« Reply #1117 on: 29 Dec 2016, 11:29 am »
Hi

No - nothing new - the software has remained the same.

james

Thanks. I had been wondering. (Love the Dac).

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
« Reply #1118 on: 6 Jan 2017, 10:30 pm »
Love the  sound of my my BDA-2/BDP-2....my MUTEC MC-3+USB takes them to another dimension

This sounds really interesting. I would love a bda-3 and a bcd-3 but can't afford them, however I could manage to add one of these as part of the AES chain between my bdp1 and sp-3:
http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/mutec-mc-3plus--smart-clock--221413

However I also have a cd transport connected to the other AES input of my sp-3, so wondered if this...
http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/mutec-mc-6-digital-audio-converter--226173

...which clearly has two AES inputs (so one for the bdp, one for the cd transport) would do the same thing as the mc-3 but in one unit rather than two ?

Also, for those that understand such things, if I'm using an AES connection to an external DAC (in my case in the sp-3, but hopefully a bda-3 eventually) will the move from the Julie@ board in the bdp-1 to the more advanced one in the bdp-2 make any difference ? I don't want to invest in a unit with a more capable board only to bypass it !

Cheers -

Ian

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
« Reply #1119 on: 8 Jan 2017, 03:37 pm »
After further research, all of the the reviews I could find of the MC-3+ were consistent and remarkable, so I've bought one and will see what it does between my BDP-1 and SP-3, and then between my CD Transport and SP-3.

Ian