Taking Sensation to the next level.

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
Taking Sensation to the next level.
« on: 19 Jan 2015, 01:48 pm »
Afternoon folks, l will be tweaking my Sensation M451 a little further over the coming months and am looking for suggestions on how to do this, so far l have in my M451, ClarityCap upgrade, Rhodium Furutech internal fuse, SoundCare SuperSpike feet, and every Virtue PSU, made and am looking for a pointers on which way to proceed , ( hook up wire etc, ) any thoughts chaps?

Thanks in advance. :thumb:

wsturner

Re: Taking Sensation to the next level.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2015, 08:21 pm »
After tweaking mine a LOT. Following would be by suggestions:

#1 Batteries!!!

Bypass caps are also a noticeable upgrade. Only problem...There are many good ones to choose from. AFAIK, there is no clear winner.

The Dodd tube buffer is also a nice "upgrade". Tube rolling adds an interesting dimension. But has same problem as caps (i.e. lots of good ones to choose from...no clear winner).

Scott

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2015, 11:58 am »
After tweaking mine a LOT. Following would be by suggestions:

#1 Batteries!!!

Bypass caps are also a noticeable upgrade. Only problem...There are many good ones to choose from. AFAIK, there is no clear winner.

The Dodd tube buffer is also a nice "upgrade". Tube rolling adds an interesting dimension. But has same problem as caps (i.e. lots of good ones to choose from...no clear winner).

Scott

Thanks for posting Scott, l already have the battery, JT Dynamic PSU's, ClarityCap upgrade, and the amp sounds amazing- would like more of the same, so thinking hook up wire, fancypants RCA/ speaker sockets, volume pot, something along those lines.... :D

wsturner

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2015, 05:18 pm »
I upgraded the hook-up wire, but can't really say that I noticed a change after that.

I am interested to hear your thoughts about the fuse upgrade. Would you consider that an essential upgrade?

Scott

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2015, 11:24 pm »
I upgraded the hook-up wire, but can't really say that I noticed a change after that.

I am interested to hear your thoughts about the fuse upgrade. Would you consider that an essential upgrade?

Scott

Yes, for little outlay l noticed a positive effect, l use a Furutech Rhodium fuse to good effect.

wsturner

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2015, 08:52 pm »
Sorry to be high maintenance, but could you post a link to the fuse you bought?

Thanks,
Scott

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2015, 08:55 pm »
 :)

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2015, 11:40 am »
Anyone any ideas..... :D

ericlp151

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2015, 08:25 pm »
Well, you did ask.  I always thought that the banana clips or speaker posts were a draw to degrade the sound.  Get rid of em!

If one went with single driver speakers, you don't need a crossover and can directly wire (high end) wire to the driver itself.  Have you ever wondered what your amp would sound like if you just had wire coming directly (soldered) to the drive itself all the way back to possibly be even soldered to the amp board? 

All those connections (extra wire) to the crossover (if you have cheap components on a xover board ouch!) If you have cheap wire in the speaker cabinet (double ouch) ...  Creating a path of least resistance to the speakers (IMO) will improve the sound!  How much?  Depends...

Next would be what type of DAC are you using?

Sometimes it's not the amp.

bardamu

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2015, 11:18 pm »
Hello Tarzan,
The virtue forum is close to dead so not many people reading it let alone coming up with ideas.
Eric is right. I also replaced the connectors for the loudspeaker wire on the circuitboard side.. I think i did mention it in one of my modication post  a long time ago.
If i am right i wrote that comparing the loudspeakercable connections on the print and the chassis side one would wonder why not spend some extra cash on the one inside. BUT of course they cannot be seen.
Good luck suggestions will start pouring in soon, Edward

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2015, 07:23 am »
Well, you did ask.  I always thought that the banana clips or speaker posts were a draw to degrade the sound.  Get rid of em!

If one went with single driver speakers, you don't need a crossover and can directly wire (high end) wire to the driver itself.  Have you ever wondered what your amp would sound like if you just had wire coming directly (soldered) to the drive itself all the way back to possibly be even soldered to the amp board? 

All those connections (extra wire) to the crossover (if you have cheap components on a xover board ouch!) If you have cheap wire in the speaker cabinet (double ouch) ...  Creating a path of least resistance to the speakers (IMO) will improve the sound!  How much?  Depends...

Next would be what type of DAC are you using?

Sometimes it's not the amp.

Eric, thanks for replying, l know what you mean, my M451 sounds amazing- and could survive multiple upgrades in source components and speakers, just yesterday l  hit upon an upgrade by accident which l am playing about with at the moment............ :D

classicjt2

« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2015, 02:00 am »
Hey guys-

After hearing the difference between the stock coupling Virtucap and Mundorf Supreme, then finally Mundorf Supreme Silver Oils, I would put (most of) my money in the best caps I could afford. I'm sure the newest designed caps are well ahead of even the Silver Oils, but what I experienced was well beyond what a normal component upgrade would do. Depending on price/size/voicing, I would consider Duelund (scary size and pricing, but they have new smaller ones), Audio Note Copper Oils (Silver Oils would cost way, way more than the Sensation itself), V-Cap, and high end Jensen PIOs (I know several guys that love them much more than my Mundorfs).

Of course, good power supply and clean lines are essential, or battery power for quiet background and serious punch that's really cost- effective- that Virtue battery is almost a giveaway at that price.

James   

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2015, 04:39 pm »
Thanks for the reply James, think you may well be correct bigger and better caps- however l am well impressed with the ClarityCaps, will look into the Mundorfs. :thumb:

abernardi

« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2015, 10:55 pm »
Hey Tarzan,
  Did you say you do or don't have the Dodd buffer?  If you don't, in my opinion, that was the single most impactful upgrade I made on my Sensation.  Amazing little box!

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #15 on: 16 Mar 2015, 11:31 pm »
No, do not have the tube buffer........

dba

• demand better audio
    • Demand Better Audio
« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2015, 07:39 pm »
Rolling some tubes this past week :o HUGE differences, some not as subtle as you'd think BUT a very subjective game to play. The tube-buffer IMO is an interesting distraction from the 'measurable' goal of improving the system as a whole and they give a very personalised signature to the path and ultimately the sound….love listening to my Sensation with it on but demo with it off :roll:

You've got Batteries and Caps, its time to dig deep under the surface and remove connections, go direct, thats if everything else in your system chain is equally as good as your Sensation already is :)

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2015, 11:21 am »
Hi Danny how you doing?

When you say go direct could you expand a little? :D

dba

• demand better audio
    • Demand Better Audio
« Reply #18 on: 19 Mar 2015, 08:26 pm »
All signal paths directly connected to the recipient parts of the amplifier, no termination to connectors....I've heard only one system before and after like this, unveils a light curtain from the performance, theoretically couldn't be bettered in terms of path purity.

Sure does make any further changes pretty taxing, as I like chasing the dragon I fear I'll not get to this level BUT you posed the question :wink:

I'm currently enjoying my M901 with a Mullard valve receiving a lavish signal from an SMSL DSD DAC and a 2014 SSD Mac Mini running the latest JRiver, no need to connect direct, very little noise up here in my tree-house 8)

wsturner

« Reply #19 on: 20 Mar 2015, 05:25 pm »
Oh no...Here we go  :?

Danny: What are you thoughts on DSD? I could buy a Schiit Loki for $149. But DSD source material is limited/expensive. Is it worth it?

Scott