Best PIANO recording I have ever heard

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
Re: Best PIANO recording I have ever heard
« Reply #40 on: 3 Jun 2009, 04:49 pm »
Dear Randy,

Thank you so much for bringing the Giltburg to our attention.  He is not a pianist I have heard, and I've ordered a copy with great anticipation.  Thanks also for the handy link.   Bless Amazon for small favors, huh? 

On our download front, I saw this early today from Stereophile, which is most encouraging.  Thank you Stereophile!

http://www.stereophile.com/news/bust_and_booms_on_the_download_front/

Randy

« Reply #41 on: 3 Jun 2009, 05:52 pm »
Bob,
  Here's a quote from the short review of the Giltburg disc on Amazon. ". . . the final Great Gate of Kiev, so often turned into an exercise in bombast, is here a grand structure whose imposing bulk has the majesty Mussorgsky surely intended."  I found that I agreed with this opinion about Giltburg's performance of "Gate" and was very nearly moved to tears by it. Others, perhaps used to more overtly flamboyant versions, might find it a little understated if they can't tune in to Giltburg's interpretation.
  I hope you enjoy the disc. I think you'll be surprised by the SQ. EMI doesn't usually do it this good.
  Good luck with your Linn association.

JoshK

« Reply #42 on: 3 Jun 2009, 06:26 pm »
I don't have a lot of piano music.  That said, the most realistic piano recording I've heard, which I also own is Monty Alexander Trio Live at the Montreaux Festival on vinyl.  Skip the CD, it sucks.  The music is a bit cheesy, but the sound of the piano is super realistic.

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #43 on: 5 Jun 2009, 05:13 pm »
The Giltburg hasn't arrived yet, but I'm looking forward to it. 

Randy

« Reply #44 on: 12 Jun 2009, 07:42 pm »
I recently acquired an album of Bob's (Yarlung Records) titled 'Barefoot" of piano works performed by Joanne Pearce Martin that I have been enjoying very much. Can't say it's the BEST piano recording I've heard, but it is excellent. She performs some standards (Chopin, Mozart) but for me the main interest is in the more obscure works she performs from the likes of John Adams, Kupferman (i am more familiar with his orchestral music), Mark Carlson, and several others. The sound is up close and personal, first rate and very satisfying. Overall, an extremely rewarding release for fans of classical piano.
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2009, 09:44 pm by Randy »

gatermon

« Reply #45 on: 30 Jun 2009, 05:58 am »
Hello, I am new here , and by no means do I claim that these are the best piano recordings I have ever heard , but I would like to share them with fans of piano music. and NEW solo piano composition. These songs were recorded at my home studio, on my 2007 Kohler and Cambell 6'1" millenium grand piano using 2 AKG C1000 mics into a Korg D1600 digital recorder 
(with a touch of reverb)

please listen ! >>>       http://gatermon.com

i am the composer and pianist on these recordings . many of these pieces have found their way into 2 motion pictures that have just came out , or are comming out in 2009.
One is a John Lennon documentary called "Strawberry Fields"
http://strawberryfields.net
the other film is the new Justin Timberlake movie
"The Open Road"   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1007018/

A nice artical about me here >>>

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090528/ARTICLE/905281008

Feel free to listen to my music, and coment if you like ,
Digital downloads are available on my website and on Itunes, Emusic, Amazon, Rhapsody, Napster and Shockhound.
(search for... GATERMON / Wally "Gator" Sirotich)

Thanks Piano Lovers, I hope you like what you hear !

Gatermon / Wally "Gator" Sirotich

JackD201

« Reply #46 on: 30 Jun 2009, 11:19 am »
At the top of my list is Stanislav Richter playing Liszt's Piano Concierto No.1 ( LP Phillips) Recorded on optical film by Bob Fine and Wilma Cozart Fine who were on loan from Mercury.

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #47 on: 30 Jun 2009, 06:03 pm »
Dear Jack,

I certainly agree that just about anything Wilma Cozart did, with or without her illustrious husband, was superb.  She is one of my idols, and a producer I would love someday to meet.  I understand that she is still very much alive, and lives in New York. 

Dear Randy,

I have received and very much enjoyed the Giltburg.  I agree with you that the sound is very good.  But I enjoy Giltburg's playing too.  He manages to handle the bravura passages with enormous power, and yet without banging.  Some of this is the recording engineer and piano, of course, but most of it is Giltburg himself.  I very much enjoy this album, and shall for some time! Thanks for the recommendation.

More soon I hope!

Bob.

JackD201

« Reply #48 on: 1 Jul 2009, 01:31 am »
Hi Bob,

I'll be setting up a server soon and can't wait. I'll be making a home brew server though and I still haven't mapped out how exactly to implement it. The Yarlung recordings available through Linn are on my list for sure. Great work you guys are doing to bring new talents to the public eye. I wish there were more groups like yours. Any chance of Yarlung having LP's pressed? That would be great. Many of us here are analog junkies.

Jack

JackD201

« Reply #49 on: 1 Jul 2009, 01:38 am »
Premuda,

I love all things Rach. If you don't have this yet, I think it is a must for all collectors. The recording isn't the best but the performance is inspired.

Rachmaninov, Piano Concerto No. 1 to 4
Decca  Vladimir Ashkenazy piano, Andre Previn conducting
The London Symphony Orch.

This comes as either a boxed set or 3 separate LPs. They are becoming harder and harder to come by these days so best get a head start.

All the best,

Jack

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #50 on: 1 Jul 2009, 03:03 am »
Awesome stuff - the major record companies are realizing that they cannot compete with the free, crappy quality, downloads available via the pirate sites, so are focusing on offering better quality to sell their downloads.  That's a business model that I can support!

doorman

« Reply #51 on: 1 Jul 2009, 03:45 am »
FWIW, "Nojima plays Liszt", Dr. Keith Johnson's Reference Recordings. Vinyl of course. No piano recording I've heard comes close. (although I pretend no expertise either) Explosive dynamics, spectacular soundstaging, a palpable "you are there" experience.
Don

Big Red Machine

« Reply #52 on: 1 Jul 2009, 12:21 pm »
Premuda,

I love all things Rach. If you don't have this yet, I think it is a must for all collectors. The recording isn't the best but the performance is inspired.

Rachmaninov, Piano Concerto No. 1 to 4
Decca  Vladimir Ashkenazy piano, Andre Previn conducting
The London Symphony Orch.

This comes as either a boxed set or 3 separate LPs. They are becoming harder and harder to come by these days so best get a head start.

All the best,

Jack

Hey, here's a T-shirt for ya:

Rach is how I roll!

JackD201

« Reply #53 on: 1 Jul 2009, 01:29 pm »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one!  I just might have a few made!

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #54 on: 1 Jul 2009, 02:19 pm »
Dear Jack,

Congratulations on your decision to set up a high resolution server.  There are many excellent converters and reclocking devices available now, across the price spectrum, so you should be able to build a wonderful system without breaking the bank. 

And as you might have guessed, Yarlung Records plans to begin releasing analog vinyl recordings within a year.  We're looking forward to this, because no matter how good digital music at very high resolution has become, analog is still better in my view, at least so far.  More like the actual concert experience. 

If you like Rachmaninov, you must indeed hear David Fung's Rachmaninov preludes on the album that began this thread oh so long ago.  David is a superb artist, and it is an honor to have released his first US recordings. 

Cheers and best wishes,

Bob

sullivang

« Reply #55 on: 14 Feb 2010, 11:39 pm »
Hi,
I found this thread by searching for "best piano recording" - this was the first hit. :)

I have found a recording that I absolutely ADORE: "The Look of Love (A Beautiful Piano Tribute to Burt Bacharach)". 
http://itunes.apple.com/au/album/the-look-love-a-beautiful/id315013454

Cheers,
Greg.

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #56 on: 17 Feb 2010, 04:59 pm »
Dear Greg,

I shall order a copy! Looking forward.

The piano sound on our two new releases, Petteri Iivonen: Art of the Violin, and Antonio Lysy at The Broad: Music from Argentina might make you smile as well. 

Cheers and best wishes,

Bob Attiyeh
www.yarlungrecords.com

John Casler

« Reply #57 on: 2 Nov 2010, 04:53 am »
Dear Greg,

I shall order a copy! Looking forward.

The piano sound on our two new releases, Petteri Iivonen: Art of the Violin, and Antonio Lysy at The Broad: Music from Argentina might make you smile as well. 

Cheers and best wishes,

Bob Attiyeh
www.yarlungrecords.com

Hi Bob,

Just a quick note, as you have "struck again" with your above mentioned Antonio Lysy at The Broad: Music from Argentina 

I wrote a few words about it "HERE".

I found the soundstage and imaging just spectacular.  Anyone with an audiophile grade system will appreciate what you do and have done.

I plan to spend more time with Inner Worlds soon.  I have already done a cut intro-tour and am looking forward to going deeper.

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #58 on: 2 Aug 2016, 01:45 am »
Wow.  John Casler began this thread some years ago, close to the very beginning of Yarlung Records.  Our label is now celebrating its 10th Anniversary! Thank you John, you certainly got us off to a great start.

David Fung, the Australian (now American) pianist who made the recording which John identified so generously as the "best Piano recording [he had] ever heard," has taken the concert world by storm.  He made his Cleveland Orchestra debut, and just yesterday performed as the piano soloist in Beijing with the China National Opera Symphony Orchestra at the "Birds Nest" Olympic park in the capital. 

All of you contributed to David's success with your appreciation of his recording.

A few years after its initial release (which ran out of its first pressing fairly swiftly), we repackaged David's album:

The fun thing about all of this is that I just last week received a note from a piano enthusiast who had just found this thread and ordered the album.  Thank you John for getting the ball rolling! 

Three Cheers for David Fung's continuing success, and may the next decade at Yarlung Records be as musically satisfying as our first!

Here are some of David's many links.  Enjoy!: http://www.yarlungartists.org/david-fung/

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: 2 Aug 2016, 02:09 am »
It's on TIDAL too.