Magnestands?

Rclark

Re: Magnestands?
« Reply #40 on: 6 Aug 2011, 05:55 am »
well I just made $175 towards my MMG's thanks to selling off my unused N3 cabinets. I almost want to sell my unused pair of Adire Brahma 15's but I don't think I could live with myself.

Rclark

« Reply #41 on: 28 Aug 2011, 09:22 pm »

tesseract

« Reply #42 on: 28 Aug 2011, 09:26 pm »
Oh man, if I was local, these would be mine.

Rclark

« Reply #43 on: 28 Aug 2011, 10:01 pm »
I just bought the MMG's above them. They looked really nice, the seller has a good rating, and the owner before him, he reports, was a classical musician so I know these were babied. Full equipment, boxes, paperwork/manual.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrplan&1319586708&/Magnepan-MMG-black-/-natural--

$375 shipped!  :D

That's more than $200 I'll save over new with shipping.

..VERY excited now to finally get to hear these things. I'll get them for about 3 months before I have to ship them off. This will be my second set of "hi-end" speakers. Moving from GR-Insignia monitors to these.

andyr

« Reply #44 on: 28 Aug 2011, 11:29 pm »

I just bought the MMG's above them. They looked really nice, the seller has a good rating, and the owner before him, he reports, was a classical musician so I know these were babied. Full equipment, boxes, paperwork/manual.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrplan&1319586708&/Magnepan-MMG-black-/-natural--

$375 shipped!  :D

That's more than $200 I'll save over new with shipping.

Congratulations - I hope you enjoy them  :)  Be aware, though, that the Magnestanded MMGs are a significant step up in sonic quality - so they more than justify their additional cost.

Regards,

Andy

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #45 on: 28 Aug 2011, 11:49 pm »
Hi,

Hopefully I can add something to this thread in particular and this circle in general.

About a week ago I bought a pair of fully modded MG12QR's. The seller had gutted the internal xovers, from what I understand soldered in some new (of course better) wiring, built 2 nice looking external xovers (but no wood  :green: ) and installed the Mye stands. So they were far from stock.

I had been thinking about planars for a while and this circle unavoidably steered me in the Magnepan direction.  :D I had no idea what I was getting into but wanted to try a pair and these seemed like a good point to jump in on. I started combing through the AA threads since the owner had posted a lot on his journey to modding these Maggies. That's when I first ran across Peter Gunn's work.

But when I got my Maggies I immediately was impressed with what I heard (no audiophile descriptions here  :scratch: ). And of course almost as immediately, I started wondering how they could sound better and what must their bigger brothers sound like.

After reading up on the PG website, I sent him an email just to let him know my situation. I ended up talking to him on the phone (his nickel) .Very easy to talk to and I was able to let him know what I thought of his work visually and asked what I might expect to hear if I engaged him to do my Maggies.

Of course I don't know how or if my Maggies sound better than stock so I told PG that I would take some time to get used to them and then let him know. And his backlog seems full. He said I would only be able to get in in the spring.

And reading the AA planar forum, it obvious there are some industrious DIYers there that do everything imaginable to their Maggies whether they are old or new.

All very interesting and exciting to tired old ears.

Gene

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #46 on: 28 Aug 2011, 11:59 pm »
With the smaller ones you can experiment with placement a lot, too.
Here's where I found the MMGs to work best:

Who woulda thought, hung up in the air but that's where they sound right to me.  Pardon the appearance, that's a temporary lash up and yes, that is an old bar stool from the garage supporting the DMW.
At any rate, just a thought.
Congratulations on your purchase - I'm happy for you and I think you'll enjoy them.  Mine are keepers!

Rclark

« Reply #47 on: 29 Aug 2011, 12:08 am »
Thanks guys :)

Oh wow, already have a tracking number in a matter of hours This guy is going to get very nice feedback.

BTW the address of the seller was c/o a prominent record label in Hollywood, California, so I'm even less worried about condition than I was before. I'm very curious as to what they'll sound like, this will be my only real, dedicated time with a planar.  I believe the only time I've ever heard a planar it was a Martin Logan Electrostat, the type with the built in sub. It was on the open showroom floor of a Fry's being demo'd with a football game, and they were placed far apart and straght ahead. They fired into a gargantuan space. I don't recall being particularly impressed.

Rclark

« Reply #48 on: 2 Sep 2011, 10:41 am »
THose modified MMG's are going for $400 obo right now.

Anyway I got my MMG's today and I'll just say that I'm stunned and that they perform far better than I was anticipating, and play all sorts of types of music better than the monitors they replaced.

Here's my review of both the MMG and my Virtue Two.2 combo in the Virtue forum for whoever's interested:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82160.20

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 2 Sep 2011, 08:48 pm »
I liked your review - it brought back a lot of memories from when they first came out and I ordered a pair after blowing up my JBLs one too many times.
Addicting things, aren't they?

Rclark

« Reply #50 on: 2 Sep 2011, 10:05 pm »
They're astonishing!  :o

With my setup I can honestly say I feel totally satisfied with the sound and for the first time I can say I feel no urge to improve things. The system is beyond fabulous.

I can't even imagine what better would sound like.

You guys made me think I was going to be completely underwhelmed and only be able to play certain types of music, wasn't going to be able to run my sub, and need kilowatt monoblocks.  :green:

I was happily, believe me, relieved to discover none of that was true, at least with my gear. I credit the Virtue amp (modded, hi pass at 80hz, ClarityCaps) with my very large linear power supply, Astron 10a, 8 amps continuous, 10 amps peak.

Also, my Emotiva Dac is very high output I think, 12 volts peak, 2 amps. So I've got a lot of drive into the MMG's.

It's flat out incredible. I'm listening to jazz right now and there is a sax in my room.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 2 Sep 2011, 10:32 pm »
Perhaps we do tend to soft peddle things a bit too much.
Enjoy your evening, gentlemen (and ladies).

Rclark

« Reply #52 on: 2 Sep 2011, 10:36 pm »
I mean, I'm listening to 2112 by Rush right now and they absolutely wail, but in that pristine, pure, real live Maggie way.

Honestly I was expecting to kind of shrug my way through till December and listen to nothing but jazz until then. I didn't expect them to blow away my monitors and play rock.

Can't help gushing, this combo is the best sound I've ever heard. I've been around nice hifi's, but never planars.

Russ

« Reply #53 on: 13 Sep 2011, 07:08 pm »
...I'll get them for about 3 months before I have to ship them off...
I hope that you post what they are like when you get the MMGs back.  I'm sending mine in next Spring.