Saturday afternoon delivery - Omega Supercharged 3XRS Outlaw

ashok

Hello all:

These beautiful speakers arrived earlier today, just in time for the weekend and the holidays coming up. Great craftsmanship as usual from Louis. Finished in level 2 Walnut, and features the deep hemp 8" powered subwoofer.

They will be powered by a Fleawatt TPA 3116 amp. Upstream of the amp is a Bluesound Node.

I have done very little listening so far, but can report that the clarity and detail retrieval at low volumes of this combination is very good.

jMelvin

Re: Saturday afternoon delivery - Omega Supercharged 3XRS Outlaw
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2016, 11:05 am »
Very nice! Congrats. I hope you'll share more as you get some time with them. I'm putting together a system with a Fleawatt and  Bluesound Node 2 also, but with Super 3i's. The amp should be in my possession this week (I hope) and the speakers are still being built.

pursuitofnow

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2016, 05:59 pm »
Beautiful! I've been trying to decide which setup would work best for myself and those are on the shortlist. How are they working out? What size room? Audio only? Good balance between highs and lows?

pursuitofnow

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2016, 06:14 pm »
Also... how did you decide on rear mounted sub vs front? Do you like them on the rear or wish they were on the front?

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2016, 10:43 pm »
Hello all:

These beautiful speakers arrived earlier today, just in time for the weekend and the holidays coming up. Great craftsmanship as usual from Louis. Finished in level 2 Walnut, and features the deep hemp 8" powered subwoofer.

They will be powered by a Fleawatt TPA 3116 amp. Upstream of the amp is a Bluesound Node.

I have done very little listening so far, but can report that the clarity and detail retrieval at low volumes of this combination is very good.

Copy cat! Lol  :D

I have the exact same speaker and have had it for about 9 months now. And I originally had it paired with a Fleawatt TPA-3116. Stellar combination. But since have moved on to a Decware SuperZen SE84 UFO. And man, the synergy between the Omega's and the Decware is, well Super Zen! :D I think those two are in cahoots together. Designing two different products at two seperate companies that work so well together. Things that make you say hummmmm. LOL

ashok

« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2016, 02:20 am »
Also... how did you decide on rear mounted sub vs front? Do you like them on the rear or wish they were on the front?

Louis said he changed the design to move the woofer to the back and I just went with that. I am still playing with the settings on the plate amp. At the moment, crossover frequency is at about 80Hz, and the level turned up about a quarter. Phase at 180 degrees. Sounds quite good, and well blended, but I will be tweaking further.

Copy cat! Lol  :D

I have the exact same speaker and have had it for about 9 months now. And I originally had it paired with a Fleawatt TPA-3116. Stellar combination. But since have moved on to a Decware SuperZen SE84 UFO. And man, the synergy between the Omega's and the Decware is, well Super Zen! :D I think those two are in cahoots together. Designing two different products at two seperate companies that work so well together. Things that make you say hummmmm. LOL

Omegas do work well with tubes. I used to own Louis' TS-1 monitor speakers and they were tremendous powered by a Diytube ST-35, in triode mode. Sublime combination!

pursuitofnow

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2016, 05:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply. They seem to be really a good package with a lot of punch.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2016, 08:52 pm »
Louis said he changed the design to move the woofer to the back and I just went with that. I am still playing with the settings on the plate amp. At the moment, crossover frequency is at about 80Hz, and the level turned up about a quarter. Phase at 180 degrees. Sounds quite good, and well blended, but I will be tweaking further.

Yeah, I have mine set at around 70 right now. Seems to be a perfect blend on most music. 

Omegas do work well with tubes. I used to own Louis' TS-1 monitor speakers and they were tremendous powered by a Diytube ST-35, in triode mode. Sublime combination!

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2016, 08:54 pm »

I too just went with Louis's suggestion. In all honesty I don't think it makes a difference in sound. I guess if you were going to have the speakers right up against a wall you might want to have the woofers on the front.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2016, 08:59 pm »
Are you going to run them with the Fleawatt or go with a tube amp eventually? Speaking of Fleawatt,  anyone want to buy my Fleawatt?  It's a great match with the Omegas but since I have had my Decware,  the Fleawatt just sits on my dresser in my bedroom looking pretty. 

ashok

« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2016, 01:46 am »
Are you going to run them with the Fleawatt or go with a tube amp eventually? Speaking of Fleawatt,  anyone want to buy my Fleawatt?  It's a great match with the Omegas but since I have had my Decware,  the Fleawatt just sits on my dresser in my bedroom looking pretty.

I am planning on keeping the Fleawatt for the near future. I do plan to undertake some room correction first, and proper equalization of the subwoofers. Looking at the miniDSP range of products, especially the 2 x 4 miniDSP HD.

My system is set up in the family room which is approximately 14 ft x 14 ft, and open on the left hand side to the kitchen/breakfast area. A couple of pictures below.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #11 on: 2 Dec 2016, 03:58 pm »
How far a part do you have your speakers? I might movie min a little further apart. I guess it could give you a bigger soundstage?

ashok

« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2016, 03:14 am »
How far a part do you have your speakers? I might movie min a little further apart. I guess it could give you a bigger soundstage?

Say about 12 feet. I don't have any more room on the right to get more separation. I quite like the soundstage now, especially after changing the toe-in a little bit.

I am planning to try some DSP room correction this month. Under consideration is the mini DSP 2x4 HD.

sunnydaze

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2016, 05:11 am »
12 feet?!      :o

I'm surprised you don't have a big hole in the middle of the soundstage.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 5 Dec 2016, 05:54 am »
12 feet?!      :o

I'm surprised you don't have a big hole in the middle of the soundstage.

That depends on proximity. But he has the right idea, spreading them wide apart leads a more expansive soundscape.

I don't know the dimensions of his room, but I'd be inclined to pull them further off the front wall, at least two more feet. I would also put a couple more feet between the speaker in the corner from the side wall. It's a nice size room with great potential.

ashok

« Reply #15 on: 7 Dec 2016, 01:30 pm »
Thanks for the comments.
  • Speakers are actually about 10 ft apart, not 12 as indicated earlier.
  • Sitting position is about 9.5 ft from each speaker.
  • Haven't noticed any issues with the soundstage, but I will experiment with moving the speakers closer together, and away from the walls.
  • Room size is 14' x 14', but completely open to the left - opens to the kitchen.
  • mini DSP 2x4 HD is on order.