Reviews and pictures of commercial fullrange systems

wisnon

Re: Reviews and pictures of commercial fullrange systems
« Reply #20 on: 27 Oct 2012, 03:18 pm »
More pictures and comments on JoSound here: http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/suisse2012/1.html

This includes the baby of the line, the Jo30 Cartouche which is Jordan based.

Youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUrcJfbGnt8
Poorly translated comments from Paris:

I do not share the idea that a pilgrim speaker Lowther (or spin-off, as the Feastrex) can reproduce the entire audio bandwidth. At least with the volume (read the acoustics) needed to give us the illusion of being to hear live music, despite the "payload" of bass by direct line of transmission or any other. The sound is consistent, of course, because of the single driver point source and no crossover ...

But not all those "subs" (would be playing?) managed to give weight and muscle to Jo Sound. The ensemble sounded to me like a "miniature", as the Eiffel Tower, made in China, which is trying to sell to unwary tourists, exposed on blankets, ready to wrap the material around and escape the police at a glance. And I not only ran away at a glance, because I wanted to register my hearing testimony on video.

This, of course, without wishing to call into question the beauty of the wood and the quality of the finishings. And even the quality of the design. If there were in the Salon an attraction "tourism" Hifi were Jo Sound. And do them the honour of admitting that he could not have chosen better interpreter to display the quality of ... image of my pictures and my videos, also recorded in the penumbra. At least the Jo showed everything in broad daylight.

The truth is that the sound of Jo Sound has no serious colorings, nor "touch wood", as some Bordeaux wines that I tried to foist. Will be so that now the French serve fresh red wine in restaurants? ...

The sound of Jo is very clean, very quite perfect, great for playing a Fife and a stool.

But a pop-rock band, as the Dire Straits, it can sound like an ectoplasmic representation of reality. Great little body and soul. By chance, I suppose, were using a "click" from the MUsical Fidelity ...
I admire their resourcefulness and courage to stop playing music, that was not the most appropriate for the product concerned. Before he had heard the Tracy Chapman, who sang so well educated and with so much composure civic, that sounded like a Tea-Party Whitey: without sin and visceralidade. The thrill is gone, baby ...

They were not as aesthetically interesting, and I would have thought that it was a joke of Jo ...Soares on the audiophiles fundamentalists. Or, so I'm getting old, and I no longer move with wishful thinking ...
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2012, 04:40 pm by wisnon »

raov1

commercial fullrange single driver systems of a different kind
« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2013, 12:47 am »
Couldn't resist resuscitating this thread -

German Physiks:
http://www.german-physiks.com/german-physiks-speaker-line/the-unicorn-mk-ii.html

HHR exotic speakers
True full range single driver design covering 20 to 20K!!!
http://www.hhr-exoticspeakers.com/

Rgds,
VJ

ejfud

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
HHR exotic speakers
True full range single driver design covering 20 to 20K!!!
http://www.hhr-exoticspeakers.com/

Thanks for the heads up. There is some interesting photos:
http://www.hhr-exoticspeakers.com/HHRphotos.htm

starkiller

Blumenstein Orca's
« Reply #25 on: 30 Nov 2014, 06:27 pm »
Just bought a pair of few weeks ago as I have decided to go to a near field listening environment.  My computer room is too full of cd's and lp's and books AND the computer AND the gear to the point that the sound from my Vienna Acoustic Bach's, while very good, had too much stuff between it and my ears.  So, went with a set of these on either side of my monitor.  First time with a near field set-up and must say I really do enjoy it.  Bass of course was a little lacking :) so found a M&K sub that fills in nicely at the bottom and I am very very pleased.  Here be a factory pic of the set....

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: Blumenstein Orca's
« Reply #26 on: 3 Dec 2014, 03:55 am »
Here be a factory pic of the set....

I see Clarke has changed from the FE83 to the FF85wk... a much better driver for the application. We go thru a lot of them.

dave

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Blumenstein Orca's
« Reply #27 on: 3 Dec 2014, 04:16 am »
I see Clarke has changed from the FE83 to the FF85wk... a much better driver for the application.

Actually he offers more products with various drivers now and still has the original Orca (now Orca Classic).
http://www.blumensteinaudio.com/all-products/

jraywine

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #29 on: 17 Feb 2018, 11:40 am »
The Tocaro 40

Nice, but $9000.   :(

Any reviews available?  What's the F3?  Couldn't find it on your links.  Being the owner of 8 inch whizzerless extended range drivers I know they 'beam' above 4,000 Hz, so these must be worse.  Hopefully the stands can be custom ordered to allow for height adjustment.

roscoe65

« Reply #30 on: 17 Feb 2018, 02:30 pm »
Nice, but $9000.   :(

Any reviews available?  What's the F3?  Couldn't find it on your links.  Being the owner of 8 inch whizzerless extended range drivers I know they 'beam' above 4,000 Hz, so these must be worse.  Hopefully the stands can be custom ordered to allow for height adjustment.

I can attest that whizzerless wide range driver >4-5” do indeed beam.  Given that most of us listen solo I don’t see that as the worst problem in the world.  I would also assert that the majority of musical information is <4khz.  We can run a wide range driver full range and supplement above 4khz and still have most of the full range driver benefits.  That is what a number of us running Altec 414’s do.  The 414 is run full range (50hz-5khz) and an 802 driver is brought in to fill in the highs.

JLM

« Reply #31 on: 17 Feb 2018, 03:04 pm »
I can attest that whizzerless wide range driver >4-5” do indeed beam.  Given that most of us listen solo I don’t see that as the worst problem in the world.  I would also assert that the majority of musical information is <4khz.  We can run a wide range driver full range and supplement above 4khz and still have most of the full range driver benefits.  That is what a number of us running Altec 414’s do.  The 414 is run full range (50hz-5khz) and an 802 driver is brought in to fill in the highs.

Fully agree, thus my commitment to be whizzerless (IMO whizzers are mechanical crossovers and I prefer to be crossoverless).  And yes, I've added a Late Ceiling Splash tweeter (powered also directly from the mono-blocks with a cap in series) at Duke LeJeune's suggestion which has helped widen the soundstage.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #32 on: 17 Feb 2018, 07:01 pm »
What's the F3?

FYI, you should be asking after F6 or F10. Toole has shown that to the human ear/brain F3 is meaningless… it is only useful to the filter theory we use for modeling & for XOs.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #33 on: 17 Feb 2018, 07:05 pm »
We can run a wide range driver full range and supplement above 4khz and still have most of the full range driver benefits.

Getting the XO low (150-350 Hz) is IMO the better approach as many of the evils of XOs go away when you can get the centre-to-centre to less than a quarter wavelength at the XO.

I do admit to listening to a number of enjoyable  FR with tweeter XOed up high… so many compromises, one just has to choose th eset that works for them.

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #34 on: 17 Feb 2018, 10:32 pm »
The Tocaro 40

http://www.austinhifi.com/tocaro.html
http://www.tocaro.de
Incredible these expensive Tocaro speakers are not mirror image leting the custumer with two unmatched holes on the baffle.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #35 on: 18 Feb 2018, 01:06 am »
FRM, I agree. Symmetry makes more sense if you don't make mirror pairs. This would bother me...

But the speaker may be wonderful, with full range drivers it's all about the driver. I think the multi-driver approach is interesting but can't help but think the high frequency driver has to be better with at least some of the bass cut out of the signal electrically! But, I've heard speakers that have broken the "rules" sound excellent more than once... I'd love to hear them.

Also, with dispersion it's hard to say what these things are really going to do. They have a 1" voice coil, which is very small for an 8" driver, and is how they can be whizzerless. It could be the highs act like they are coming from a 1" diameter source with the cone forming a waveguide. If this is the case dispersion may be a lot better than one would assume from a more conventional driver.

JLM

« Reply #36 on: 18 Feb 2018, 12:03 pm »
Also, with dispersion it's hard to say what these things are really going to do. They have a 1" voice coil, which is very small for an 8" driver, and is how they can be whizzerless. It could be the highs act like they are coming from a 1" diameter source with the cone forming a waveguide. If this is the case dispersion may be a lot better than one would assume from a more conventional driver.

Agreed.  Most cones are designed to provide perfect pistonic action (a theoretical 100% stiff cone would be infinitely massive) but some (the Jordan 92S is a classic example) are designed to flex, thus allowing the inside of the cone nearer to the voice coil to react to higher frequencies (at least that's the theory).  Haven't seen a study that confirms how close either type of cone really functions to the chosen ideals.  I'm sure reality for any cone is something in between.

roscoe65

« Reply #37 on: 18 Feb 2018, 02:20 pm »
Not to mention that there are a number of great-sounding drivers that “shouldn’t” sound as good as they do.  There is often a lot more going on with the driver than we take into consideration.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #38 on: 18 Feb 2018, 06:37 pm »
Agreed.  Most cones are designed to provide perfect pistonic action (a theoretical 100% stiff cone would be infinitely massive) but some (the Jordan 92S is a classic example) are designed to flex, thus allowing the inside of the cone nearer to the voice coil to react to higher frequencies (at least that's the theory). 

All FR drivers are pistonic at low frequencies and at some point transition to (hopefully) controlled caotic behaviour at higher frequencies.

dave