OS X Mavericks

Andre2

Re: OS X Mavericks
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2013, 11:45 pm »
Still EE dac does not work with my mac.  Anybody has the same problem?   :scratch:

wilsynet

« Reply #21 on: 13 Nov 2013, 12:03 am »
Doesn't the EE DAC use an OEM M2Tech USB audio receiver?

If so, M2Tech needs to update their drivers to work with Mavericks.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/m2tech-hiface-mavericks-problem-18072/

Wilson

bside123

« Reply #22 on: 14 Nov 2013, 03:57 pm »
Here are two pieces of feedback about some serious issues with OS X Mavericks that I have run across. Both are professional colleagues, and the two office computers mentioned below are in my company's office.

Also... a close family friend had her MacBook Pro total crash after the install, and the computer is currently at the Genius Bar in the Apple Store to see if they can fix it. I understand that these problems are not happening to everyone, but I have become much more cautious about the automatic Mac "upgrades" recently. Therefore, I am still waiting, because at this point my personal computers are running fine. I wish I had waited on the latest OS 7 phone "upgrade", but ya can't go back!

** A potentially serious issue with OS X Mavericks and Western Digital Hard drives. Here's the link: http://blog.backblaze.com/2013/11/01/western-digital-warning-customers-of-data-loss-with-apple-mavericks/

** A pretty serious bug with the 10.9 upgrade that Apple recently released.  It can potentially corrupt your entire hard drive.  So far I've found it on two of my family's laptops and in the two office iMac computers I updated.

If you have not updated to 10.9, then ignore this email :)  If you have, please read on.

The update corrupts the disk's partition table and possibly more.  The partition table is what knows where your volumes (e.g. "Macintosh HD") are located on the disk (i.e. from this sector to this sector). If the table becomes corrupted enough, your drive will effectively disappear.

To see if you have the problem please try the following:

- Launch Disk Utility from within your Utilities folder (found in your Applications folder) on your main drive.

- Select your drive from the list on the left hand side of the window that comes up.

- Select Repair Disk from the bottom right of the window

- After 5-15 minutes it will say (usually in green) something like "The volume XXX appears to be OK." where XXX is the name of your volume.  If so then you're fine and there is nothing to worry about.

- If it says (usually in red) something like "the volume/disk cannot be repaired or efi partition table corrupted please repair disk." Then you have an issue.

To fix this you will need access to a second mac running 10.9 and a firewire cable.

- Please backup your computer first.  I cannot guarantee that this won't trash your data.  I've never had an issue doing this but that doesn't mean you won't.

- If the affected computer is a laptop, make sure it's plugged in.

- Boot the affected mac in target disk mode by rebooting while holding down the T key on the keyboard. The screen should have an icon that looks like a Y floating around.

- Plug the firewire cable into the affected mac and the other mac running 10.9

- Launch Disk Utility on the second computer.

- Select the affected mac (it will show up with an orangeish icon with your drive name underneath) and run repair disk on it.

- After 5-15 minutes the affected mac should be repaired.

- Shutdown the second mac (not the affected one), and then force shutdown the now fixed mac by holding down the power button until the computer shuts down.

- Disconnect the firewire cable from both machines.

- Reboot your computer and you're good to go.

Hopefully this makes sense :)

I've logged the bug with Apple but I wouldn't wait for them to fix the problem if you're affected.

Hope the helps ...

scb

« Reply #23 on: 15 Nov 2013, 02:49 pm »
You can repair a disk from the recovery partition without needing a second mac

Photon46

« Reply #24 on: 15 Nov 2013, 03:45 pm »
FWIW, our University tech department has repeatedly told all on campus to NOT install the new Mavericks software until the problems are resolved.

Andre2

« Reply #25 on: 6 Dec 2013, 12:42 am »
it is really frustrating not being able to listen to music through my mac server due to this stupid update...

Andre2

« Reply #26 on: 1 Feb 2014, 04:08 pm »
I can't listen to my system the way I intended anymore, which is nice control of any music through my mac, while I work/surf the net at home.  I am thinking of selling my EE dad 2 and buying something else that can pick up the mac music from Usb.   :evil:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #27 on: 22 Feb 2014, 07:53 pm »
I know I'm a little slow on the news compared to most around here, but I noticed that Apple released a 10.9.1 update, and currently is spreading around a .2 beta.  Did the .1 update fix everyone's problems enough to be comfortable either making the switch or picking up a new computer with Mavericks preinstalled, or should  I go back to my cave and try to look out again after the .2 is out of beta?

wilsynet

« Reply #28 on: 22 Feb 2014, 08:33 pm »
Many problems are resolved, but DACs with M2Tech based USB inputs are still having issues.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #29 on: 12 Mar 2014, 12:55 am »
Many problems are resolved, but DACs with M2Tech based USB inputs are still having issues.

HiFace workaround:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=123140.0

Andre2

« Reply #30 on: 10 May 2014, 11:24 pm »
somebody may understand the stuff in these links, but it is greek to me.

What i need is something to click, dowload, and start playing.  Ive long forgotten this weird computer programing crap language

newzooreview

« Reply #31 on: 11 May 2014, 01:17 pm »
somebody may understand the stuff in these links, but it is greek to me.

What i need is something to click, download, and start playing.  Ive long forgotten this weird computer programing crap language

The instructions are very easy to follow with a bit of explanation. The lines starting with "sudo" are just stuff you copy and paste and hit enter. You should really give this a try if you want to get things going again. I can't vouch that it works, but everyone seems to say it does, and it looks quite reasonable.

1. Open Terminal (Command-Space to pop open Spotlight and type "Terminal"; it should be the top hit).

2. Copy and paste the first line of instructions (below) into Terminal. You will be asked for your password. You won't see any characters as you type your password; that's normal. When you've typed your password then hit return. That's it--if it doesn't give an error message then the command was completed successfully. (This first one removes the HiFace extension; rm = remove).

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Hiface.kext

3. Do the same thing for the two other instruction lines, one at a time. Terminal can only handle them one by one: paste instruction, press enter, repeat.

sudo pkgutil --forget com.m2tech.driver

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

4. Now download and install the new driver. This is just like downloading and installing anything:

http://www.northstar.it/drivers/Mavericks_10.9/Northstar1055r4_192Khz.dmg

5. Now we go back to Terminal and enter two more lines of instruction to make that driver work. Again, paste and hit enter for each separately.

sudo sed -i "" "s/900/37643/g" /System/Library/Extensions/async192.kext/Contents/Info.plist

sudo kextload -b 'com.async.driver.async192'

6. Restart. You're done.  :thumb:

Andre2

« Reply #32 on: 11 May 2014, 03:38 pm »
The instructions are very easy to follow with a bit of explanation. The lines starting with "sudo" are just stuff you copy and paste and hit enter. You should really give this a try if you want to get things going again. I can't vouch that it works, but everyone seems to say it does, and it looks quite reasonable.

1. Open Terminal (Command-Space to pop open Spotlight and type "Terminal"; it should be the top hit).

(...)

6. Restart. You're done.  :thumb:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH NzooR !!! :banana piano: :beer:

It works!!!  I am listening to LZ Ramble On, and it sounds as good as I remember last November.

Got love audiocircle man, we have the best and most helpful people in the industry on this site!!!

Here is what I can hear:
 :violin: :banana piano: :drums: :guitar: :rock: :thankyou: :dance:

newzooreview

« Reply #33 on: 11 May 2014, 04:15 pm »
THANK YOU VERY MUCH NzooR !!! :banana piano: :beer:

It works!!!  I am listening to LZ Ramble On, and it sounds as good as I remember last November.

:birthday:

Glad it helped.

Andre2

« Reply #34 on: 26 May 2015, 02:30 am »
I installed OS X Yosemite today.  I had not done earlier because I was afraid of loosing connection to my EE Dac plus again.

And, yes, connection was lost.  However, the steps above were able to restore.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #35 on: 3 Jun 2015, 02:55 am »
I wish I could go back to Maverick OS..

GentleBender

« Reply #36 on: 3 Jun 2015, 09:39 am »
I wish I could go back to Maverick OS..
Why can't you?

Andre2

« Reply #37 on: 28 Oct 2015, 03:49 am »
and now, with El Captain, my EE doc plus does not play anymore.  And the fix above noted does not work...  :duh: :scratch: