I.S.C.T. HOW LOW CAN IT GO. The G-Force Tang Bang Sub Woofer Build.

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
A mayor problem in all my DIY work is the waiting for parts & items from overseas due to delays in freighting, availability or simple only through the unavailability of things here in NZ as well as of course everything cost down here so much more or just getting it here to NZ can get difficult as freight cost a lot of money.

Anyway, the new G-Force sub woofer project was mainly build from MDF (Of Cuts), but the idea came to me after reading so much about this Tang Bang W8-740P 8 inch woofer and with that what people had done with it or tried doing & what different cabinet volumes had been used with it.

It is really all quiet strait forward as this was the first woofer of that type I had ordered from PE for testing in a couple of project enclosures with over 30 liter plus & this one with 21 liter, the enclosure is a little different as I wanted to try some new ideas & materials in it, and I only just received these materials after waiting for it for some month now. As for new ideas for example I’m using a new type damping material I found way back, and that the inside of this cabinet (Inside only at this stage) will be covered with some skin like product etc.
The enclosure volume which is empty 21 liter will end up to my calculations in the end with about 13.5 to 14.0 liter so not a lot of volume, but when I look at the recommended enclosure volume of 7.1 liter (.25 cuFt) for a vented, and 3.1 liter (0.11 cuFt) for a sealed my volume idea is still double that.

Accompanying this woofer are two 10 inch Passive Radiators from PE as well, and that is it but I really want to see if this woofer will perform with such small volume as predicted as it works quiet well in a larger cabinet like my Renegade project were it is presently still mounted in - to Run In.

rgs UpperCut

Images are from the last couple of days .... Only today I was doing the first undercoat and first fitting of woofer.

The very first time weighing in with woofer & 1 PR only = just over 21 Kg ....

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
Hi there,

After days on end having cold & moist weather not been able to do any painting here is the last 'Melon Yellow' coat on the enclosure!

I also have started to build a set up for this enclosure a bit different to the norm (Nothing New) as I want to use that as a single item below the unit – Solid Spikes pointing towards the enclosure - as well as it is needed for the Display Platform project LINK: -
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143596.0 -.

There is of course a special reason for trying this as in my projects which have spikes I make sure that I have no air leaks so I block the holes for these spikes with a rubber threaded nut which enables it to be virtually air tight. This will be handling an opposite dual nut to enable the close up as well as fitting to the spikes!

rgs UpperCut

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Thanks for posting about your projects Uppercut. I and  many others here enjoy looking at your build photos. The vivid colors and unique shapes are certainly out-of-the-ordinary and I like that.
I will, however, admit to being a little confused as to overall design goals and seemingly random nature of the things you're posting. Is this a part system you have (or will have) your home? It seems as if you're in development of something specific but I'm having difficulty identifying what that is. Perhaps you could fill in the blanks for me.

l would love to the "after" impressions. What does it sound like? Did it meet your expectations? Understand I'm not ragging on you, just trying to better understand the context of what you're doing.

Peter

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
Thanks for posting about your projects Uppercut. I and  many others here enjoy looking at your build photos. The vivid colors and unique shapes are certainly out-of-the-ordinary and I like that.
I will, however, admit to being a little confused as to overall design goals and seemingly random nature of the things you're posting. Is this a part system you have (or will have) your home? It seems as if you're in development of something specific but I'm having difficulty identifying what that is. Perhaps you could fill in the blanks for me.

l would love to the "after" impressions. What does it sound like? Did it meet your expectations? Understand I'm not ragging on you, just trying to better understand the context of what you're doing.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply! And sorry but I did not see your reply before today.

First up thanks again for your interest, and with that I can say YES & NO to an overall design goal.

NO, because I build what I like & envisage as long it will be different from the norm yet with no particular purpose to include into a home a car nor anything else – I do build design & develop because it keeps me busy 24/7 and because I can - as well as I like to be creative in a hobby I liked for about 25 years or more now.

YES, because I had an idea around 8 month back and so I do want to build that idea of a ‘Interactive Sealed & Vented’ as a set. All my projects are helping me to find the best way to create this particular project yet not all have really anything to do with it or even reassemble that new project I have in mind in any way. This particular idea mentioned before also gave way to another similar, but not quiet so elaborate one which I called ‘Renegade’, and I have introduced that here already as a three way configuration with a rear mounted 12 inch PR in a colour of 'Melon Yellow with Charcoal'.

In general it is for me learning & creating enclosures I always wanted to build with my accumulated knowledge from all these years I have been involved with Loudspeaker design & development and my three trades I worked in over the years. It was only in 2006 when I did go rouge and steered away from the normal way because it bored me to tears - over & over the same old approach at least that how I felled! I personally had far too many ideas & interests which did not correspond with what was nor is still today the norm.

I personally found there and then that enclosure development stagnated did not evolve in any way like for example on the electronics side.

Now, of course it is very hard to even try to convey what these projects sound like, but be ensured that I would be the first person to walk away from all of this if these projects would not have had satisfied my exportations! Over the years I have build quiet a few sets for Hi-Fi & Automotive yet nothing like these projects now came even close enough to the high quality of sounds these type of enclosures reproduce with this I.S.C.T method, and of course the many different items I include in any of these projects.

rgs UpperCut
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2016, 02:58 am by UpperCut »

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
A few more Images from the work I was able to do today! Had only a couple of small mishaps so they are not of great concern & fixed soon.
Enclosures 1) Underside & 2) Upperside

rgs UpperCut

« Last Edit: 2 Jul 2016, 09:08 am by UpperCut »

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
Every build eventually must come to an end & with that this one was quiet tricky and challenging, but I enjoyed all of the many stages very much.

First time fully assembled & everything does fit perfectly!
Just a shame that I have only one brand new 10 inch PR left in store & another defect one so I guess until the new ones arrived (once ordered) it could spring into action, but until then I will leave the defect one fitted and see what will happen when running it.

So presently not much more left then Artwork and waxing it nicely to avoid any marking as the charcoal colour as that is just showing up everything & I mean everything even when touched without been treated. Oh yes of course just remembered the bottom plate with the spikes is still to be done!

rgs Upperut

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
Well, the paint is dry so a first look at this first set up! By the way I like to mention that this bottom plate can be used as is in 3 to four different ways, and I will try all of them if possible over time to figure out the best one suited.

rgs UpperCut

Guy 13

Upper Cut,
may I ask if I could see a close-up of the spikes or feet ?
They look different than usual ? ? ?
I like the color and the shape of your master piece !  :D

Guy 13

Note: The previous pictures you have posted of the feet
look like they are rubber, now I see something that look like metal, brass...

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
Upper Cut,
may I ask if I could see a close-up of the spikes or feet ?
They look different than usual ? ? ?
I like the color and the shape of your master piece !  :D

Guy 13

Note: The previous pictures you have posted of the feet
look like they are rubber, now I see something that look like metal, brass...

Hello, thanks for your reply!

YES these are solid Brass spikes (short & Stumpy) and not the usual larger once I like to use, but I had about 12 sets of these laying around & presently none of the larger type so I wanted to try these.

Now this how it is:
There are rubber mounts in the enclosure itself to fit the sharp end of the spikes as the spikes are mounted up side down in the bottom plate so YES you saw the right pieces - Rubber mount & spikes. The underside of the plate which I did build for testing can have a none slip material or rubber mounts again or if I wanted to turn it the larger set of Spikes so I have options to play around with.

Now these rubber mounts inside the enclosure are actually for sealing the sub woofer compartment & outside to accommodate sharp end of spikes or when removed spikes of the larger type in the normal way as the diameter for both is the same.

The rubber nuts are ‘Well Nuts’ or better I say if you not have heard of them rubber mounts with a usually brass nut insert so these are 6 mm threaded which means once you screw a cap bold with washer into it – it will spread and fasten itself (seal the hole) very tidily / securely, and the rubber has a very nice (not to hard & not to soft) rubber. I use these even with 12 inch woofer to fasten securely as these are available with 3 mm to 12 mm thread.

rgs UpperCut

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
Hi there once again,

Have to say that I personally & by my own opinion like these larger Spikes more!

Another idea on this one was to actually make it active and I started to look into that as the bottom plate I found could be suited for that as well.

rgs UpperCut

JohnR

Nice work!  :o  :thumb:

Guy 13

UpperCut those are more than nice, they are awesome.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
That's change from the zillions brands available on the market.
Different, original, colorfull and....
No words, other than (Again) awesome look and nice work.

Guy 13

Guy 13

Hello, thanks for your reply!

YES these are solid Brass spikes (short & Stumpy) and not the usual larger once I like to use, but I had about 12 sets of these laying around & presently none of the larger type so I wanted to try these.

Now this how it is:
There are rubber mounts in the enclosure itself to fit the sharp end of the spikes as the spikes are mounted up side down in the bottom plate so YES you saw the right pieces - Rubber mount & spikes. The underside of the plate which I did build for testing can have a none slip material or rubber mounts again or if I wanted to turn it the larger set of Spikes so I have options to play around with.

Now these rubber mounts inside the enclosure are actually for sealing the sub woofer compartment & outside to accommodate sharp end of spikes or when removed spikes of the larger type in the normal way as the diameter for both is the same.

The rubber nuts are ‘Well Nuts’ or better I say if you not have heard of them rubber mounts with a usually brass nut insert so these are 6 mm threaded which means once you screw a cap bold with washer into it – it will spread and fasten itself (seal the hole) very tidily / securely, and the rubber has a very nice (not to hard & not to soft) rubber. I use these even with 12 inch woofer to fasten securely as these are available with 3 mm to 12 mm thread.

rgs UpperCut

Thanks UpperCut for taking the time to write that long
and detailled description of your (Special) spikes.

Guy 13

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
Nice work!  :o  :thumb:

UpperCut those are more than nice, they are awesome.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
That's change from the zillions brands available on the market.
Different, original, colorfull and....
No words, other than (Again) awesome look and nice work.

Guy 13

Thank you guys for the replies!

Just to clarify: this is one and the same unit! and as for myself it is always what lies in the very details when you build it yourself like using cap screws with rubber threaded nuts to ensure among other things that you get not only a good but a perfect sealed unit & decoupling if possible for breaking up such great pressure resonances, and of course as previously explained the inside fitting & sealing of the spike holes and the mounting in different ways of the spikes itself Etc. Etc.

The Tribal marking of course is presently just an Artists expression and it shows what can / could be done as I believe a project in DIY should be about what once can visualize, imagine & how somebody feels about his own work ethics, and of course his ideas of effective musical sound reproduction.

By now it has run and I’m more then happy with it! Extremely tight sound down to the low 30 Hz effective & effortless with no distortion for such small unit quiet amazing.

rgs UpperCut