For the Frugal Minded The SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer

medium jim

For the Frugal Minded The SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer
« on: 17 May 2013, 05:16 pm »
Sure looks like a decent sub at the under $500.00 price point:

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb-1000#.UZZlKjbn_RY

Can reach down to 19hz and gets nice reviews (for what there worth).

Jim

srb

Re: For the Frugal Minded The SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2013, 06:13 pm »
For music, I would get the SB-1000 sealed 12".  -3dB is 24Hz instead of 19Hz, but it has a 12" driver instead of a 10".  For HT the PB-1000 would be able to rattle the walls better, but I personally prefer sealed subs for music.

Steve

geowak

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2013, 07:20 pm »
What is the price on the SVS sealed sub? Two might be nice for stereo.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2013, 07:25 pm »
What is the price on the SVS sealed sub? Two might be nice for stereo.

The sealed SB-1000 is the same price as the ported PB-1000 - $499

Either is available purchased as a pair for $49 less ($949/pair)

Free Shipping on all.

Steve

medium jim

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2013, 07:32 pm »
True, the sealed goes down to 24hz.

Jim

Brad

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2013, 07:42 pm »
They also frequently have "B" stock at a cheaper price.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2013, 07:53 pm »
They also frequently have "B" stock at a cheaper price.

Looks like buying either at the Outlet ("gently-used showroom samples, returns, and speakers/subwoofers with minor cosmetic blemishes") would only save you $24 on a single and cost you $1 more on a pair.

Steve

Brad

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2013, 08:18 pm »
What's up with that?   :scratch:

Last time I checked, the B stocks were $449 on these two models.
Agreed - why not get the new ones if there's that little difference (or the new pair is cheaper)

neekomax

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2013, 09:43 pm »
For music, I would get the SB-1000 sealed 12".  -3dB is 24Hz instead of 19Hz, but it has a 12" driver instead of a 10".  For HT the PB-1000 would be able to rattle the walls better, but I personally prefer sealed subs for music.

Steve

I'm strongly considering a couple of these subs for my main system.

medium jim

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2013, 09:58 pm »
There seems to be an undo prejudice against the ported sub that can reach down to 19hz.  The technology via computer aided designs makes them pretty damn good and nary a difference in tone from the sealed subs.  However, cabinet size may be the deal breaker and unless you listen to a lot of pipe organ music, will never need to go below 24hz anyway.

Both would make great choices.

Jim

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2013, 10:15 pm »
There seems to be an undo prejudice against the ported sub that can reach down to 19hz.  The technology via computer aided designs makes them pretty damn good and nary a difference in tone from the sealed subs.  However, cabinet size may be the deal breaker and unless you listen to a lot of pipe organ music, will never need to go below 24hz anyway.

Both would make great choices.

Jim

There is very good reason why ported subs don't get as much love as sealed units.  They are simply not as accurate, period.  If you just want you system to sound like the local garage band at the pub, that's one thing.  However, if one has accurate high end equipment (which many AC's have), the ported units are not going to sound as accurate as the sealed units. 

I went through this at length with Mr. Mullins of SVS Audio ( a very nice guy who knows his stuff).  He was adamant that for systems that are primarily music in moderate size rooms, (with high end speakers and electronics) the SB 13 Ultra stood alone.   So far, my auditioning of the SB 13 Ultra has confirmed his analysis in spades.  Until you hear one, it's hard to communicate effectively just how different it really is. 

If you are working with a very large room, then yes, ported may be the only real option.