Future Bryston CD Player Still A Go?

Rod_S

Re: Future Bryston CD Player Still A Go?
« Reply #20 on: 28 Apr 2016, 11:25 am »
What would a SACD drive down sample regular CD's to?

Rod_S

« Reply #21 on: 28 Apr 2016, 11:28 am »
As a way around the clocking mentioned above couldn't Bryston offer an external clock output and perhaps even make an external clock to allow for more flexibility? I know Esoteric for example offers external clock output on their SACD players and player/DAC combo units and also offers a couple models of external clocks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2016, 12:42 pm »
As a way around the clocking mentioned above couldn't Bryston offer an external clock output and perhaps even make an external clock to allow for more flexibility? I know Esoteric for example offers external clock output on their SACD players and player/DAC combo units and also offers a couple models of external clocks.

Hi Rod,

Yes but now you have added a lot of expense for a feature that is rarely used by most and I wanted a simple dedicated Redbook player.  Also for maximum performance you want the Clock as close to the DAC as possible.

james

PierreB

« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2016, 12:46 pm »
James, have you an idea when the bcd3 will be in store and the retail price ($cad).
Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2016, 12:59 pm »
James, have you an idea when the bcd3 will be in store and the retail price ($cad).
Thanks.

I would say mid June and at this point looks like $3495

james

PierreB

« Reply #25 on: 28 Apr 2016, 01:04 pm »
Thanks.

WillyP

« Reply #26 on: 1 May 2016, 02:45 pm »
James,

What will give a better sound quality for CD's: the new BCD-3 CD player or the BOT-1 / BDA-3 combination?

Thanks,

WillyP

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 1 May 2016, 04:17 pm »
James,

What will give a better sound quality for CD's: the new BCD-3 CD player or the BOT-1 / BDA-3 combination?

Thanks,

WillyP

Hi Willy

One of the advantages of an all in one CD player is the DAC can be physically placed very close to the Clock which reduces jitter. 

So if just CD Playback is required and only one source the CD player would probably be my choice CD player analog out to Preamp analog in.

If I have multiple digital sources and wanted high resolution file playback then I would go the BDA3 way.

james

brucek

« Reply #28 on: 1 May 2016, 07:24 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
One of the advantages of an all in one CD player is the DAC can be physically placed very close to the Clock which reduces jitter. 

But it's not really physical distance is it? The all-in-one CD 'player' doesn't use the S/PDIF transfer of data and clock. The player is a synchronous system where jitter is essentially non-existent. The clock responsible for retrieving the data as it comes from the CD itself is also responsible for the D/A conversion process so there's no discrepancy between the master clock and any of its derivatives. In this regard the CD player is superior. It can't be beat.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 1 May 2016, 08:27 pm »
But it's not really physical distance is it? The all-in-one CD 'player' doesn't use the S/PDIF transfer of data and clock. The player is a synchronous system where jitter is essentially non-existent. The clock responsible for retrieving the data as it comes from the CD itself is also responsible for the D/A conversion process so there's no discrepancy between the master clock and any of its derivatives. In this regard the CD player is superior. It can't be beat.

Yes Bruce you explained it so much more elegantly than I did.  :thumb:

James

schmidtmike76

« Reply #30 on: 1 May 2016, 09:02 pm »
Devils advocate this new CD player vs Pi and bda-2 for sound quality even the BDP-2 and BDA-2

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #31 on: 2 May 2016, 05:17 am »
:thumb:

Marius

« Reply #32 on: 2 May 2016, 08:36 am »
great post.
answers why the BCD1 sounds so very good on its own, even compared to the combo with the BDA1. Hope the new BCD will sound just as marvelous.

Cheers,
Marius

« Last Edit: 2 May 2016, 12:23 pm by Marius »

Rod_S

« Reply #33 on: 2 May 2016, 11:41 am »
Hi Rod,

Yes but now you have added a lot of expense for a feature that is rarely used by most and I wanted a simple dedicated Redbook player.  Also for maximum performance you want the Clock as close to the DAC as possible.

james

Thanks

This is an interesting bit of info about the distance between DAC, clock and performance. If this is the case then what do think of companies such as dCS and Esoteric that offer external clocks in a couple of their different series including their ultra expensive series i.e. Vivaldi and Grandioso respectively where the clocks are over 10 thousand dollars, the Esoteric is even just over $20,000 I believe.

It would seem then based on the statement that this would actually not yield the best performance and the companies are taking advantage of customers convincing them that a separate box solution is the best.

I'll be the 1st to admit that those two systems ultterly fascinate me and would certainly at least seem like the pinnacle of what can be achieved in a disc based playback system.

Yitshak

« Reply #34 on: 2 May 2016, 03:43 pm »
Ain't re-clocking the digital signal in BDA3's
design to achieve similar capabilities?

BrystonFan

« Reply #35 on: 2 May 2016, 08:57 pm »
Looking forward to it.
Sorry if I missed it, but why did we move from the BCD-1 to the BCD-3?
Align the naming conventions with the DDA-3, due to the similar DACS chips?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 2 May 2016, 09:03 pm »
Looking forward to it.
Sorry if I missed it, but why did we move from the BCD-1 to the BCD-3?
Align the naming conventions with the DDA-3, due to the similar DACS chips?

Yes we thought the BDA3 DACs and the Cubed (3) allowed for the 3 to be used with the CD Player.

james

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #37 on: 3 May 2016, 05:14 am »
Thanks

This is an interesting bit of info about the distance between DAC, clock and performance. If this is the case then what do think of companies such as dCS and Esoteric that offer external clocks in a couple of their different series including their ultra expensive series i.e. Vivaldi and Grandioso respectively where the clocks are over 10 thousand dollars, the Esoteric is even just over $20,000 I believe.

It would seem then based on the statement that this would actually not yield the best performance and the companies are taking advantage of customers convincing them that a separate box solution is the best.

I can't speak for dCS or Esoteric, but in the pro audio world external clocking is meant for syncing multiple components/processors. It makes sense in that usage. But even there oftentimes they just slave the components to the dac clock rather than have yet another component outside.

rmurray

« Reply #38 on: 10 May 2016, 10:15 pm »
 When will the new CD2 be put on the web site.....? :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 10 May 2016, 10:34 pm »
When will the new CD2 be put on the web site.....? :scratch:

Hi

Still working on the prototype.

james