OK Monarchy NM24 DAC in the house

1000a

Re: OK Monarchy NM24 DAC in the house
« Reply #40 on: 15 Jul 2007, 04:21 am »
Hi DSK

Here is their phone # (650) 873-3055, it was posted on their site so I've been told its OK to list it.   I've called 3 times and have always gotten him on the phone ask for CC Poon.   

Email : monarchy(at)earthlink(dot)net

« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2007, 03:02 am by 1000a »

low.pfile

« Reply #41 on: 26 Aug 2007, 05:12 pm »
in my house too...

I picked this up directly from the Monarchy office on Friday night and spent a bit of time chatting with Mr Poon. A very nice guy. I imagine those of you who are techies could talk with him for hours - I am new at this level of equipment and am learning so unfortunately most went over my head. I figured the Monarchy nm24 isn't a bad place to start for a first DAC. And I got to listen to some cool Sound Lab electrostatic speakers with my DAC unit.

It wouldn't be fair/useful to give a detailed review at this point. But here are my first impressions: Compared with my onboard Denon AVR4306 DAC: much more detailed. than sound stage (seems to have increased a foot or so,) and the upper and lower bass fuller by a factor of 30%+. Each day I am switching from solid state output to tube output to get a feeling for both. Once I get an RCA to RCA jumper cable I will also add the tube line-stage to the path for evaluation. Anyone recommend who to go to for these? - was thinking BlueJean.

My main curiousity was how much of an improvement will I get using an outboard DAC with a AV Receiver. So soon I will find out. My thinking is that if there is improvement with a receiver this should transfer to any other permutation that my system takes. The great thing about the nm24 is the number of configurations it provides giving a great deal of flexibility!

a couple of pics: .....

enjoy your music, ed

EDIT: my digital source is PCM from iTunes (AIFF format) through optical Toslink directly connected to my Mac
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2007, 05:23 pm by low.pfile »

Housteau

« Reply #42 on: 18 Sep 2007, 03:47 am »
I just purchased one from Audiogon.  I have read all the reviews and hope to experience what I have read.  My friend has a new Benchmark DAC1 that have I found to work quite nicely in my system.  The built in preamp/volume control was a nice extra that I also found to work flawlessly.  In fact so much so that I wish it had a line input for my phono section.  However, it does not, but the Monarchy does :).  I plan to make good use of the entire NM24 and not just the DAC section.  It looks to fill my needs perfectly, assuming that what I receive and experience is what I have read about.

musicman06

« Reply #43 on: 18 Sep 2007, 07:25 am »
Housteau, I'm sure you'll be very satisfied with the NM24, definitely seems to be one of the best bang for the buck DACs on the market today. I haven't compared it in the same system to a Benchmark DAC-1, but most seem to prefer the Monarchy.

Myself I have the Paradisea tube DAC with the Bendix 6385 tube. Very nice and an even better deal IMO.

Housteau

« Reply #44 on: 18 Sep 2007, 10:52 am »
I was considering the Paradisea tube DAC along with a new preamp, but along came the Monarchy with both DAC and preamp all in one nice package.  I should get it this Friday.  I feel if worst comes to worst, it can go back up on Audiogon and nothing is lost.

Telstar

« Reply #45 on: 18 Nov 2007, 11:17 pm »
I was considering the Paradisea tube DAC along with a new preamp, but along came the Monarchy with both DAC and preamp all in one nice package.  I should get it this Friday.  I feel if worst comes to worst, it can go back up on Audiogon and nothing is lost.

Hi,

How did you compare the MN24 to the Benchmark DAC1?
I'm looking for a DAC (possibly with usb/firewire) input in the sub-1k$ range.

If the MN24 had a usb input, it would be perfect...

Housteau

« Reply #46 on: 19 Nov 2007, 03:08 am »
I absolutely love it.  I replaced the tubes with 6N1Ps from Svetlana and things got even better.  Even the solid state DAC section sounds pretty darn good.  I would say that is closest to the Benchmark in sound.  The Tube DAC has the sharp focus and other positive qualities of the Benchmark, but adds in a warm realistic texture to the images and sounds that the Benchmark was lacking.  As the unit has broken in it has become steadily better with time.

I also love the preamp section.  I read that a few reviewers were not as enthused with it, but I see and hear no evil on my end.  I have a decent system that is quite revealing and to me the preamp section is much more than just adequate.

Telstar

« Reply #47 on: 19 Nov 2007, 03:22 pm »
I absolutely love it.  I replaced the tubes with 6N1Ps from Svetlana and things got even better.  Even the solid state DAC section sounds pretty darn good.  I would say that is closest to the Benchmark in sound.  The Tube DAC has the sharp focus and other positive qualities of the Benchmark, but adds in a warm realistic texture to the images and sounds that the Benchmark was lacking.  As the unit has broken in it has become steadily better with time.

Thank you for the opinion!

Did you audition other DACs? I'm in the mud of choosing something and there are literally dozen of pretty cheap and good products on the market now...

flintstone

« Reply #48 on: 19 Nov 2007, 03:52 pm »

I also love the preamp section.  I read that a few reviewers were not as enthused with it, but I see and hear no evil on my end.  I have a decent system that is quite revealing and to me the preamp section is much more than just adequate.

I have an M24, I agree 100% about the preamp sounding a whole lot better than the reviews let on.

I even put off trying the preamp section out for a very long time after I got my M24...I figured why bother, when I already have a "very good tube preamp"

Getting a DAC and preamp in one package...of this quality, at under $1,000 has to be one of the best buys in audio.

I found out just a couple weeks ago.....that I now have "two" very good tube preamps  :thumb:

Dave

Housteau

« Reply #49 on: 20 Nov 2007, 04:34 am »
I did not audition any other DACs.  However, I did have use of a few very good CD players.  I was completely floored by the performance of the Benchmark against them.  So, when the Monarchy came along and bettered the Benchmark, I considered myself lucky and my search over.  There just comes a point when things become 'spooky' good and a certain synergy happens.

I also recommend the Monarchy DIP Upsampler.  It added to what the NM24 had started.

Val

« Reply #50 on: 20 Nov 2007, 03:59 pm »
I recently added a M24 (original model) to my system, which I use as both DAC and preamp, and there was a significant improvement over the direct SB2 to amplifier connection. To me, the Bound for Sound review is exactly on target. I also prefer the coaxial digital over the optical.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #51 on: 20 Nov 2007, 05:33 pm »
Hello:

I am very interested in the Monarchy NM24.  My system does double duty for two channel as well as HT/TV viewing.  My current pre (Odyssey Tempest has a HT Bypass) which I must have as my wife and daughter both use this system.  Does anyone know if the Monarchy can be used for my purposes.  If so, it seems like a perfect fit for me.  I could then sell my Tempest and my Zhalou 2.0 DAC.

Thanks,

rklein

flintstone

« Reply #52 on: 20 Nov 2007, 05:56 pm »
Hello:

I am very interested in the Monarchy NM24.  My system does double duty for two channel as well as HT/TV viewing.  My current pre (Odyssey Tempest has a HT Bypass) which I must have as my wife and daughter both use this system.  Does anyone know if the Monarchy can be used for my purposes.  If so, it seems like a perfect fit for me.  I could then sell my Tempest and my Zhalou 2.0 DAC.

Thanks,

rklein

You could probably have CC Poon install pass-through for you as an option if your buying a new unit (call him and ask?), if not...you would need to use the old "unity gain" method, and set the monarchy volume control at a pre determined setting when you watch a movie.

Dave

1000a

« Reply #53 on: 25 Nov 2007, 07:25 pm »
Hey gang

I started this thread awhile back and went a-wall from audio for awhile, I am thrilled to hear others like the DAC.  I am still very pleased with mine, have no urge to change or try diffrent ones, it works great for me.  I probably won't even look around for at least 5 years for such a piece.

It is interesting to note after being gone for I guess 4 months and coming back all my endless obsession with wires and cones and what not has dried up completely, lucky for me.  But this is a pattern of mine I get obessed for like 4-6 months and then just OD.  This DAC so out performs my old DAC it is a massive improvement, extremely musical I would say.

The lucky thing for me is my other DAC was circa 2001-2 (Birdland Odeon Lite) fairly big stuff (1,000) in its day.  So my 5 cents worth is find one you like enough and pass on the endless searching (wait 2 generations of DACs then check in again), this is a very good piece, I can forget about boxes and get back to the music. Just real musical for me in MS.

That said waiting 5 yrs to catch up on DAC improvements has massive benifits.  I am just thrilled to see comments and interest in this DAC.  For the chops it delivers I am surprized there is not more chatter. Although like I said I have ODed on audio and maybe this piece, my Promi TVC, my SB3 and a good effort at DIY room treatment has raised the level of my system high enough I have no interest in searching and spending more at this time.

Or maybe people with this piece are just happy campers and talking about it is boring to them. Who knows. :O)

The greatest bang (outside of DIY bass traps) for my $$ in tweeking my system (this or that way) has come from Halos newest tube dampers for small tubes (blackberies) the ones he has that deliver the most detail (out about 5 months ago).

Having a tube amp and tube DAC I can mix and match his dampers in the various 4 stages tuning my system to my likes for very little $$.

Happy holidays and good health to all.

ajzepp

« Reply #54 on: 7 Dec 2007, 11:50 pm »
OKay, I'm confused...

1) You guys keep saying this thing has both a tube and ss DAC. Can you explain to me in layman's terms what you mean? I know what a DAC is, and I know the difference between tubes and solid state. But I see a limited number of connections on the back of this thing (via the pics), and am wondering how two DACs are coming into play.

2) I read the Lynn Olson review and saw that s/he recommends an external volume control in order to bypass what s/he considers the weak point of the NM24. Can you guys tell me how this would work? And are any of you using one of these volume controls with good results?

3) Why do you some of you say this is the best bang for under $1k? Doesn't it retail for like $1500?

4) I'll echo the question above with regard to the HT bypass thing. If I just ordered a stock unit, worst case scenario is that I can run my pre/pro into the NM24 and the NM24 into my amp, and just calibrate things with the volume control on the NM24 at one specified level?

Thanks!

Housteau

« Reply #55 on: 8 Dec 2007, 06:05 pm »
1)  You have a choice on using either the tubed DAC, which is connected internally to the built in preamp, or a SS one.  The tubed DACs output will then be on the preamp outputs.  The tubed DAC also has line output jacks that bypass the preamp.  You would connect those to an external preamp, or volume control.  The SS DAC only has line outputs.  To use it with the built in preamp you would connect the output jacks to the set of preamp input jacks.  Personally I am using the preamp input jack for my phono preamp.  To select either the internally connected tube DAC, or whatever is connected to the extra line input, just push the button on the front.

2)  I like the preamp and do not see it as a weak point at all.  My previous on was an Audio Research.

3)  It is often found being sold for $1080.00 on Audiogon, some are used, others new.

40  I'm sorry, but i don't do the home theater thing and really don't know anything about that.

Dave

ajzepp

« Reply #56 on: 8 Dec 2007, 06:31 pm »
Thanks for the info, Dave...if you view the preamp section favorably in light of your experience with an Audio Research unit, that is saying a lot! I've never owned an AR, but it seems as if they make some of the most consistently well-reviewed gear on the planet. So you use the Monarchy for your phono preamp and DAC? Have you ever played around with an external volume control, or just used the Monarchy as a DAC?

I never get tired of looking at your system pics....that is one kickass room!

flintstone

« Reply #57 on: 8 Dec 2007, 06:36 pm »
ajzepp

I saw your post at the Audioasylum...I gave you some input there.

Dave

ajzepp

« Reply #58 on: 8 Dec 2007, 07:24 pm »
Thanks Dave....just responded back to you. Things are getting clearer, but for some reason I still don't have my head around all this piece does and doesn't do.  :duh:

invicta51

« Reply #59 on: 8 Dec 2007, 08:43 pm »
Is this correct?

To integrate a HT and 2 ch system using the NM24 you could hook your HT main l/r into the NM24 preamp inputs and select the preamp function on the NM24 front panel (using a premeasured volume level on the NM24).  To use the 2 ch system you would turn off the HT processor and use the digital input to the NM24.

Downside to this the NM24 would always have to be turned on when using the HT and the possibility of feeding the NM24 a signal from the HT and 2 ch digital source simultaneously. 

Someone needs to ask CC if he can install a RCA pair of inputs with a HT bpass to the NM24 preamp outputs.