Lounge Audio LCR MM Phono preamp tour.

lounge Audio

• Industry Participant
Re: Lounge Audio Has a Website
« Reply #20 on: 24 Aug 2011, 01:09 am »

Robert, your description makes several references to LCR.  What does LCR mean?
Hi Scott,
LCR stands for Inductor (L), capacitor (C), Resistor (R). This is type of network used to do the RIAA EQ correction. I will update the website to reflect this definition.

THANKS for the critique. Keep them coming :D

Robert
Lounge Audio 

Nick77

Re: Lounge Audio LCR MM Phono preamp tour.
« Reply #21 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:25 pm »
I just finished several days critical listening with the Lounge tour unit. I have no problem reccomending this phono pre if you need MM only. First the build quality was top notch, very solid and unique materials. A faint blue lights emits thru plexigglass top which has a dark topcoat and the light only emits thru the edge, very cool! The rca's connections were gold quality connects and very solid.

The sound was emence, big, bold and very smooth and resolute. This unit has bass and midrange to die for, it made my unit almost thin in comparison. I listened to Diana Krall 180gr Quiet Nights and it never sounded so rich and sultry. Very addicting full rich sound that i would love to have in my system.

I compared the unit to my Cambridge 640p and build is tipical China quality, no comparison against the Lounge. My unit has been modded with new caps and op amps and the sound was similar but the nod goes to the Lounge for the rich lush sound it produced.

Thank you Robert for the tour, very nice unit. Thanks again, its on its way to next member.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #22 on: 5 Oct 2011, 08:31 pm »
Nick77 and I have very similar observations, probably due to the fact that we both use modified Cambridge 640P preamps.  To repeat, the Lounge Audio is a solidly built unit with an attractive case.  At first listen, I noticed that the Cambridge had better definition of instruments- focusing on the piano on a Rachmaninoff 2nd Concerto led me to prefer the detail and clarity of the Cambridge, but as I kept going back and forth, something about the Lounge was more engaging.  The orchestra had a sense of presence that was lacking with the Cambridge. Low strings had a resonant woody voice to them.  Most significantly you had a sense that the music was coming from instruments within a defined music hall.  With the Cambridge you picked out the clarity of instruments, but somehow the whole did not come together as well as it did with the Lounge.  I kept the Lounge for several more days and  confirmed my impressions.

As usual, my search for the perfect (and affordable) phono pre continues.  I like my instrument detail of the Cambridge, but the Lounge paints a more realistic picture of a symphony orchestra---just from several more rows back than I prefer to sit. The Lounge does everything well, and some things very well. It may be a very good fit in a system that is already highly detailed.
Scott

BobRex

« Reply #23 on: 13 Oct 2011, 05:27 pm »
The Lounge is in the house.  Received it from S Clark on last Friday and I've done some initial listtening (nothing serious yet) since then.  For this test I've combined it with a Choir Audio Hashimoto SUT to give me the same gain structure as my Herron VTPH-1MC.

First on deck - Music Matters release of Goin' Up by Freddie Hubbard.  (I was playing this through the Herron a couple of days before and it was still on the platter.)  My initial impression is that the piano is more present, as is the bass.  Not only more present, but there's a greater separation between the 2 instruments.  Also a greater sense of the room.  The horns sound fine, and I'm hearing more of the gain riding on Hubbard.  The left channel is almost non-existent when he is sitting out, but right before he starts, the ambient field just opens up!

Next up was America Homecoming.  This is a WB green label.  I started with side 2, paying attention to "Cornwall Blank" (the second cut).  This has an interlude that starts with 2 guitars and then cymbals coming in on the second measure.  The cymbals sounded more "colorful" and distinct than I remember hearing before, and there seems to be more air.

Last night I played Oregon, In Concert (Vanguard).  Again, there seems to be more air present around high percussion.  Triangles sounded incredible.  The presentation also sounds more transparent.

What I'm hearing is very promising, I'm just not sure if I'm hearing the Lounge, the SUT, or just having my Frog loaded differently, or mre than likely a combination of all above. 

Stay tuned for more.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2013, 01:30 am »
Is this tour still going? I'd like to check this thing out.