Linn - "24 bits of Christmas" (Free High Resolution Downloads)

audio.bill

Linn Records has been providing a free daily download of a song each of the 24 days leading up to Christmas. They are all 24-bit recordings in the highest resolution available. Today they announced that they are offering the entire set of this year's Studio Master Downloads available at http://www.linnrecords.com/ until 6th January 23:59 GMT. Enjoy the tunes!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Just finished the download from the website.

Looks like some interesting music!

Phil A

Just finished the download from the website.

Looks like some interesting music!

Mine is downloading now.  I got the email last night.  I forgot about their samplers.  I downloaded one a couple of years back

Don_S

File choice recommendation for a 6Mbps connection?  My player will handle 24/192 FLAC.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
File choice recommendation for a 6Mbps connection?  My player will handle 24/192 FLAC.

Don, do FLAC if Windows or ALAC if MAC.  A 6Mbps should take this 4GB less than an hour, easily.  Mine (16Mbps) took less than 20 minutes, but I doubt the speed differences are linear.

It's nice to have 2 hours of free 24/192 music, even if only a fraction is within your tastes. 

ACHiPo

Downloading now.  Thanks for the tip!

Brad

Thanks for the link/reminder on this.

Based on the samples, I will likely be buying some stuff from Linn records.... :thumb:

srb

I have been downloading the song of the day each day, so today I just downloaded the last one, #24.

This one downloaded with both Artist and Album Artist as "Various Artists", no Composer and the album artwork was the 24-bits of Christmas cover.  Previous individual downloads contained the Artist, Composer and actual album artwork that the song was from.

Just curious if those that downloaded the entire album today got all of the metadata?  Or maybe it was my particular chosen file format - 24/192 ALAC?

Steve

ted_b

• Facilitator
Steve,
For the FLAC collection they homogenized it to "Various Artists" and included, simply, the 24 Bits of Christmas holiday cover art.  I may go back and edit the tags.....maybe.  :)

A question:  I notice that the download page has a caveat that not all the samples in the compilation were originally 24/192.  When you downloaded each day, did the native PCM rate get published (and available for download)?  In hindsight I'd much rather have the tracks natively.  Not complaining; beggars can't be choosers.

brother love

Thanks for the heads-up.  8)  It's been awhile since I have been on the Linn website (luckily remembered my password though). Downloaded the 24/192 FLAC files & enjoying right now.  Happy holidays!

audio.bill

Re: Linn - "24 bits of Christmas" (Free High Resolution Downloads)
« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2014, 06:58 pm »
Steve,
For the FLAC collection they homogenized it to "Various Artists" and included, simply, the 24 Bits of Christmas holiday cover art.  I may go back and edit the tags.....maybe.  :)

A question:  I notice that the download page has a caveat that not all the samples in the compilation were originally 24/192.  When you downloaded each day, did the native PCM rate get published (and available for download)?  In hindsight I'd much rather have the tracks natively.  Not complaining; beggars can't be choosers.
Ted - If you downloaded the songs on the days they were originally offered the maximum resolution available was each recording's native resolution. While they were all 24 bits, some were at much lower sampling rates than 192kHz. It appears that they upconverted all of the tracks to 24/192 for the compilation, hence the caveat they posted.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2014, 07:29 pm »

Ted,

Yes, I downloaded the highest available (native) sample rate in ALAC.  Here are the sample rates for each song:

Steve

audio.bill

« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2014, 10:23 pm »
So it looks like you can still access the files in their native rates, by individually adding each track to your cart and selecting the rate for each that Steve provided.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2014, 10:51 pm »
Hmmm, interesting idea.  However, two issues: 1) the 48k and 88k sample rates are not supported in these choices anymore, and 2) I wonder if the non-192 choices are now downsamples.  Oh well, who cares...I need to just relax and listen.  Thanks and Merry Christmas.  :)

jseymour

« Reply #14 on: 25 Dec 2014, 04:32 am »
I downloaded a dozen tracks.  The most uninteresting music I have ever listened to.  High resolution yes, but boring is boring.

ACHiPo

« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2014, 05:27 am »
I downloaded a dozen tracks.  The most uninteresting music I have ever listened to.  High resolution yes, but boring is boring.
LOL I haven't listened to them yet.  Guess that could be why they're free?

borism

« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2014, 02:49 pm »
It took all day yesterday to download. For some reason my download speed was only ~ 150-250 kbs. I am listening now and actually like the mix and find it interesting. The fact it's high quality audio plus free is like icing on the cake.

fridays

« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2014, 03:06 pm »
I wished they would tell you what rate the music was originally recorded in
Yep free is free some of it is good some not so good
I don't think I'll be spending $24 for a file however