Show Us Your Core-NCore!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Show Us Your Core-NCore!
« Reply #280 on: 11 Sep 2012, 05:09 pm »
Those LED's actually serve a purpose as you probably know from reading the data sheet.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #281 on: 11 Sep 2012, 06:18 pm »
Those LED's actually serve a purpose as you probably know from reading the data sheet.

Well 1, I'm not a DIY're and 2, I don't have the finances to even consider a purchase so all I know about this D-Class amp is what I've read here in your Circle and haven't really took a personal interest in anything else, other than a shared curiosity as to how they'd sound in my system.

But thanks Jason for letting me know that the LED's actually serve a purpose other than aesthetics, whatever that purpose might be.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

edit:http://www.hypex.nl/docs/NC400_datasheet.pdf
 ,,, I found this in Q&A thread, I'll take a look.
  :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #282 on: 11 Sep 2012, 06:20 pm »
Well 1, I'm not a DIY're and 2, I don't have the finances to even consider a purchase so all I know about this D-Class amp is what I've read here in your Circle and haven't really took a personal interest in anything else, other than a shared curiosity as to how they'd sound in my system.

But thanks Jason for letting me know that the LED's actually serve a purpose other than aesthetics, whatever that purpose might be.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Gotcha.  Basically they're a function check.  If all the LED's do not come on then there is an issue. 

Regnad

« Reply #283 on: 11 Sep 2012, 09:01 pm »
Hi,  I believe that the LEDs serve as voltage regulators, which if off would also, of course, indicate a failure.

mkcarnut

• Go get yourself some cheap sunglasses
« Reply #284 on: 12 Sep 2012, 01:06 am »
I love the fire in the hole!  My parts arrive tomorrow, and my custom-made cases are ready to drop in the amp modules and power supplies & then wire it all up.  So, over the next few days I'll be putting my monoblocks together.  Per my prior photos, I have a window to the core on mine, also...it's dark smoked glass at the same diameter as the amp modules.  My monos will hang on the wall behind my speakers...can't wait to see the glow!!!  I'll post updated photos once they are ready to "glow"...

Mark

mkcarnut

« Reply #285 on: 14 Sep 2012, 02:29 am »
I got one of my two monoblocks built and running...worked first try!  Thanks to all who gave me advice and answers to my questions as I planned my build.  With your help, it really was quite easy (other than my poor eyesight making it challenging to see well enough to solder!).

Here are a few pix of it.  As a reminder, I custom-made the cases out of aluminum and poplar in a design that hangs on the wall behind my speakers, and I included a smoked glass "window" to be able to see the LED's...my version of "fire in the hole".  Note that I still have some finishing to do.  I have cable-securing connectors I will put in to hold the cables down in the best pathways possible...as is, some cables are now held down and others are not & are thick enough that they won't follow my prescribed pathway until I secure them.  But, I am not getting any noise at all right now, so this will just be a precaution and to make them look "tidy" inside. 

Note that the poplar cover easily lifts off w/o unscrewing/unbolting anything...in case I want to change a fuse or just see the "guts".

And, right now, the sides and the top (as they hang on the wall) are open.  I have materials to make "grill covers" to cover up the rough aluminum and keep out dust/spiders/etc...but my dear seamstress wife who will help me make them (she doesn't know that yet...) is occupied with one of her freelance costuming jobs right now doing the costumes for a large play.  So, I have to fit my pet projects into her work schedule...

Anyway...a few pix...

Mark

RogerSch

« Reply #286 on: 14 Sep 2012, 02:52 am »
Hi Mark, as I told you on the Emotiva forum, it is visually a very nice build. I wished I was creative like that. I used just simple black cases..

I'm curious how the NCore400 will compare to your XPA-2!

mkcarnut

« Reply #287 on: 14 Sep 2012, 09:22 pm »
Thanks!  And I can't take all the credit for creativity...I was looking at pix in this thread and there's the one with a cool wooden base and fin that comes up from the base, with nice heat sinks that the LED's are glowing out of.  Seeing that really got me thinking "out of the box" and led to my design.

After my daughter's soccer game tonight, I will build #2 then I can compare to the XPA-2.

Mark

audio-heaven

« Reply #288 on: 14 Sep 2012, 10:03 pm »
Thanks!  And I can't take all the credit for creativity...I was looking at pix in this thread and there's the one with a cool wooden base and fin that comes up from the base, with nice heat sinks that the LED's are glowing out of.  Seeing that really got me thinking "out of the box" and led to my design.

After my daughter's soccer game tonight, I will build #2 then I can compare to the XPA-2.

Mark
Very nice work, I hope you enjoy them when they're both finished  :thumb:

mkcarnut

« Reply #289 on: 15 Sep 2012, 07:36 pm »
They are done and sound spectacular!  Here are some pix of them in my system (that's them hanging on the wall behind the Maggies), and a couple shots up close:

I'll try to post a detailed review soon...still doing more listening today.

Thanks again to all who helped w/ideas and input and answers to questions!

Mark

Meicheng

« Reply #290 on: 15 Sep 2012, 07:43 pm »
Holy moly, thats what I call a man-cave.  Great job.

Regnad

« Reply #291 on: 15 Sep 2012, 07:59 pm »
Is that a Thorens TD-160?

cab

« Reply #292 on: 15 Sep 2012, 08:03 pm »
Nice job!

Regnad

« Reply #293 on: 15 Sep 2012, 08:08 pm »

Just took this while listening, NCores are in dual mono cases, originally I was going to bridge but now have ordered NC1200s.

mkcarnut

« Reply #294 on: 15 Sep 2012, 09:11 pm »
Thanks guys!

regnad...your setup looks great!  And you are close on the TT...it's a TD166 Mk II.  I've had it since it was new in the early 80's.

Mark

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #295 on: 15 Sep 2012, 09:47 pm »
mkcarnut

Build looks good with the exception of the speaker output wires.  You want them to go out on the same side of the terminals.  This is very important according to Bruno.

mkcarnut

« Reply #296 on: 16 Sep 2012, 01:05 am »
thanks for the tip...just to check that I know what you mean...as is, I have the hot side coming into the amp output from the outside edge of the amp and the neutral side coming into the amp output from the inside edge.  You are saying that both should either come in from the inside edge or from the outside edge...right?

If so, I am failing to understand what difference that makes...the connector doesn't know/care which side the wires are coming in from.  Or, is the point really that both should come in from the outside-edge-in to avoid the speaker likes being over the amp's circuitry directly?

Mark

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #297 on: 16 Sep 2012, 01:36 am »
thanks for the tip...just to check that I know what you mean...as is, I have the hot side coming into the amp output from the outside edge of the amp and the neutral side coming into the amp output from the inside edge.  You are saying that both should either come in from the inside edge or from the outside edge...right?

If so, I am failing to understand what difference that makes...the connector doesn't know/care which side the wires are coming in from.  Or, is the point really that both should come in from the outside-edge-in to avoid the speaker likes being over the amp's circuitry directly?

Mark

See this link as it's perfectly clear.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/190434-hypex-ncore-430.html#post3045504

mkcarnut

« Reply #298 on: 16 Sep 2012, 02:13 am »
Thanks for the link, but...that does not make it perfectly clear to me.  It doesn't say anything more than you said.  Can you explain to me what is perfectly clear to you?

If what Bruno is trying to say is that both lines from the amp out to the binding posts should come off the side of the binding posts closest to the outside edge of the amp module to avoid the neutral wires going over the circuitry of the amp module, that makes sense (but I don't read his comments that way as they are written).  But if this is about the hot and neutral can't go out opposing sides of the outputs - I really don't get it and would love to understand.

I can easily re-wire that part of the build, but I would like to understand the basic rationale better before I do.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Mark

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #299 on: 16 Sep 2012, 02:16 am »
Thanks for the link, but...that does not make it perfectly clear to me.  It doesn't say anything more than you said.  Can you explain to me what is perfectly clear to you?

If what Bruno is trying to say is that both lines from the amp out to the binding posts should come off the side of the binding posts closest to the outside edge of the amp module to avoid the neutral wires going over the circuitry of the amp module, that makes sense (but I don't read his comments that way as they are written).  But if this is about the hot and neutral can't go out opposing sides of the outputs - I really don't get it and would love to understand.

I can easily re-wire that part of the build, but I would like to understand the basic rationale better before I do.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Mark
Did you follow the link that I provided?  See the picture?  See the quote from Bruno?  I don't know what else to say.   :scratch: