ACHiPo

Re: Fern & Roby cast iron and bronze platter turntable
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2015, 02:46 am »
Hokey smokes Bullwinkle!

How much does that bad boy weigh?

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2015, 12:39 pm »
With all that metal what are you using for damping?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2015, 12:51 pm »
As shown, I'd think it would ring like a bell. But if not excited, it should resist vibration.
« Last Edit: 7 May 2015, 03:48 pm by S Clark »

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2015, 11:05 pm »
Looking at your furniture i'm surprised you haven't ventured out into equipment racks.

*Scotty*

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2015, 12:08 am »
If it is made from "Grey Iron", the presence of graphite flakes in the matrix bestow very good damping qualities, however the tips of those same graphite flakes act as weak spots built into the casting which contributes to its brittleness.
Scotty

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2015, 11:09 am »
As shown, I'd think it would ring like a bell. But if not excited, it should resist vibration.

I would guess the platter might be more of a problem.  Cast bronze, what does it weigh?  You often see combining different materials to help cancel vibrations, but maybe the weight/mass is enough?

Dear Fern and Roby,
"The first order of business will be designing the motor controls so that it plays at optimal speed. This involves selecting the motor and developing how it integrates into the cast-iron plinth."

You've got a problem.  Ain't easy getting a heavy platter to turn at optimal speed, but that depends on what optimal means.  AC motor and controller would usually be necessary for this application, and would allow 45 RPM without another pulley.  What's up with the little Sota style rubber band belt?  IMO you'll never have great speed stability with that belt.  Look at a Goldmund Reference for spinning a heavy platter.

This table has to be heavy and I assume high end pretensions/price tag.  That's a VPI motor you're using now?  Seems to me we call them tables, but it's more than a piece of furniture.  Turning the platter at proper speed is what separates great belt drivers from all the overpriced pieces of shit out there.  From a marketing perspective, why would anyone want to pay a lot of money and lug or ship this table unless it seems exceptional?   Inverted bearing with optimal center of gravity, or eventual platter wobble?   I realize this is a prototype with the Rega arm, but the pine armboard looks like an afterthought.  It would be a lot slicker if the armboard were integrated into the plinth.  Pine doesn't inspire confidence.  Try oak or maple.  Ebony is good.  Pine is for cheap furniture, you never see it in high end tables. 

Hope seeing this through jaded eyes, helps.  I think the resurgence has peaked.  There are lots of used high end tables out there.  There's still demand, but I have a feeling growth will be curtailed markedly in the near future.  There's always room for an exceptional product, but perceived value might be the overriding consideration now.
Regards,
neo

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2015, 02:57 pm »
Pine doesn't inspire confidence.  Try oak or maple.

It depends on what pine species was used. Southern yellow pine has a density of 36-41 lb/ft3.
Red oak is 42 and maples range from 33-44 so the salvaged heart pine used could be denser than maple.

Wayne