Your favorite vintage speakers

Wayner

Re: Your favorite vintage speakers
« Reply #40 on: 11 Feb 2010, 08:55 pm »
Here is my vintage pair of Dynaco A25Xls that I use everyday. I had a friend re-cabinet them, correcting some of the goofs, like making them mirror image, removing the front edge lip of the cabinet and reversing the vent (just for appearance), made out of teak. They are very fun.

Wayner

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #41 on: 11 Feb 2010, 09:20 pm »
Here is my vintage pair of Dynaco A25Xls that I use everyday. I had a friend re-cabinet them, correcting some of the goofs, like making them mirror image, removing the front edge lip of the cabinet and reversing the vent (just for appearance), made out of teak. They are very fun.

Wayner
I love vintage gear nice job on the speakers I'm going to dig mine out .............Bill

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #42 on: 11 Feb 2010, 09:29 pm »
Very nice!  :D

I have a pair of JBL's (like the one posted here earlier on) and the woofers need refoaming. Has anybody ever used butyl instead of foam? I hate the thought of refoaming just to see it deteriorate again. I have a pair of Realistic Mach II's the need surround repair as well.

pumpkinman

« Reply #43 on: 11 Feb 2010, 09:36 pm »
Very nice!  :D

I have a pair of JBL's (like the one posted here earlier on) and the woofers need refoaming. Has anybody ever used butyl instead of foam? I hate the thought of refoaming just to see it deteriorate again. I have a pair of Realistic Mach II's the need surround repair as well.
I refomed a pair of Mach 1's myself. If I'm not mistaken foam surrounds my be necessary depending on cabinet design
http://stores.ebay.com/GeoAli-Vintage-Stereo-and-More

Wayner

« Reply #44 on: 11 Feb 2010, 09:41 pm »
Thanks Bill!

And I forgot to mention that they used the ever popular SEAS brand of drivers. Yes, get yours out of the closet and get them going. I also had a nice pair of JBL-L100s, and a pair of huge Polk SDA-SRS 2.3s. Can't keep everything!

Wayner  :eyebrows:

pumpkinman

« Reply #45 on: 11 Feb 2010, 10:10 pm »
Thanks Bill!

And I forgot to mention that they used the ever popular SEAS brand of drivers. Yes, get yours out of the closet and get them going. I also had a nice pair of JBL-L100s, and a pair of huge Polk SDA-SRS 2.3s. Can't keep everything!

Wayner  :eyebrows:
A list of most of my vintage speakers
1. Sansui SP-200
2. Sansui SP-2500
3. Pioneer CS-66
4. Pioneer HPM-40
5. KLH Twenty Four
6. AR 28 BXI
7. Realistic Mach 1
8. The Fisher Model ?
9. Klipsch Heresy
10. Polk SDA-1  /  Monitor 7  / Monitor 10
11. Mission Model 70 about to get new foam surrounds
12. AR 2ax's these need tweeters Basket case

Mortsnets

« Reply #46 on: 11 Feb 2010, 11:49 pm »
Spendor BC1
LS3/5a
Fried Model R
KEF 103.2
Epos ES-11
Celestion SL6si
Dynaco A35

charmerci

« Reply #47 on: 13 Feb 2010, 10:37 pm »
Bose 301-II's !

:lol:

:roll:

Just kidding! They were the WORST speakers that I have ever owned!

Had a pair of Klipshorns that my brother "forced" me to buy.  :lol:  Oh, we used to crank those babies up sooooooo loud! Then he bought his own pair! (This was when I was in high school.)
Good times!

philltubes

« Reply #48 on: 13 Feb 2010, 10:55 pm »
For me it's a pair of Snell EII from 1982 and a pair of Klipsch Forte 1.  The Snells were the inspiration for Audio Note speakers and way cheaper!

Brett Buck

« Reply #49 on: 13 Feb 2010, 11:06 pm »
Mine were the first I bought for myself - AR-18s (original Teledyne/AR version). I am not sure how "vintage" those are, from about 1977 or so. Not bad at all for the time, and for $120. They were pretty good stock, but brilliant with Plasti-clay. I gave them to my brother, the foam self-destructed, and he *threw them away*.

Brett

Minn Mark

« Reply #50 on: 24 Feb 2010, 07:09 pm »
Sorry no pictures but....back in about 1978 my friend and I each had a pair of ESS Laboratories PS-8's ( 8 in woofer/ 8 in passive radiator and Heil air motion tweeter). We used them in our own systems, but build a combined 'quad' set-up in the living room of the house we shared in college. AWESOME !  :thumb:  Always hungered for a pair of ESS AMT's.   Alas, the company is long gone, but I used those PS-8's until I purchased my Magnaplanars in 2006. Still have them although I fried the Heils (stupid mistake) !!  The ESS were awesome with AVA gear !

Cheers,

Mark

68superbee

« Reply #51 on: 25 Feb 2010, 05:51 am »
 I really still like my DLK'S 1 1/2'S  I use them on my Quad set up, I been listening to some Opotimus 5's that I brought out of storage ,I bought new, and they really sound great with my new Concept reciver 5.5 in my home office, I Been looking for some B&W DM 4 OR 6 they really have a sweet sound.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #52 on: 25 Feb 2010, 06:20 am »
I have a sweet spot for Tangent RS-4.

dave

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #53 on: 25 Feb 2010, 07:29 am »
My brother bought a pair of Musical Fidelity MC-2s about 20 years ago and is still enjoying them as much as ever. A well-designed, simple 2 way with a slightly larger-than-normal box enabling a clean bass range.

DFaulds

« Reply #54 on: 26 Feb 2010, 01:56 pm »
Leslie DVX-15’s
Innotech D-24’s
EPI 350’s
Design Acoustics D-12’s
Design Acoustics D-8’s
ADS L1230’s

Whitese

« Reply #55 on: 28 Feb 2010, 04:39 am »
my favs are my JBL L-96...fairly efficient. I have been driving them tube amps varying from el84, el34, 6L6, 7591, etc...sweet with all.  To my ears, perfect balance.

skeeter99

« Reply #56 on: 9 Apr 2010, 08:29 pm »
The first set of vintage speakers I bought were the Dahlquist DQ-20ii's and I LOVED them! I ended up selling them and now totally regret it. I have recently fallen in love with my new Boston A-150's that I picked up a few weeks ago. They sound fantastic, image beautifully and are so placement friendly  :thumb: Here's a couple pics:

pumpkinman

« Reply #57 on: 10 Apr 2010, 01:42 am »
The first set of vintage speakers I bought were the Dahlquist DQ-20ii's and I LOVED them! I ended up selling them and now totally regret it. I have recently fallen in love with my new Boston A-150's that I picked up a few weeks ago. They sound fantastic, image beautifully and are so placement friendly  :thumb: Here's a couple pics:

Keep your eyes open for a set of A-400s

whanafi

« Reply #58 on: 10 Apr 2010, 02:05 am »

Celestion Dittion 66 - BBC Studio monitors driven by a Bryston 3B amp.  They handled everything from room shaking rock to harpsichord.  Great sound.

SET Man

« Reply #59 on: 10 Apr 2010, 02:15 am »
Hey!

So, how old a pair of speaker have to before they can be called "Vintage?"  :scratch:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb: