ACI LFM Long

dougme57

ACI LFM Long
« on: 10 May 2013, 02:48 pm »
I always wanted the Jaguar system with the LFM modules, just never got there. I have had Emearlds and I have a pair of Sapphire lll LE's that get main duty. I have moved several times and now our home theater is in a very large room. Approx 17' wide, 54' long and 9' foot ceilings.

There is a 100" screen on the short wall with seating area about 12' feet from screen. We love sports, movies, XBox and music. I currently run 1 12" parts express sub and it sits off to the side. There is a pool table behind the theater area and another small seating area at he other end of the room with a small flat screen for cartoons, Wii, etc.

I have the Sapphires sitting on custom made stands but always wanted to build LFM kits for them. Are there any good plans or kits that any of you have used? Or should i be looking at one great used sub? always reluctant to bite into a project and not be pleased with the sound. It is a large room and i want to feel deep, clean, tight bass.

I saw a desgn I liked for a 24"tall cabinet with Peereless driver and Peerless passive. It always made sense to me to have them as full range, provided I can pull off the integration, however never saw any reviews of those units. I have the link if anyone wants to look.

Open to all suggestions. Thank You.

And I still have (1) Emerald LE black for sale. Make offer, used as center channel.

Doug

Mike Dzurko

Re: ACI LFM Long
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2013, 12:58 pm »
Doug,

That is a HUGE space. If you want tight, deep, potent bass, you are going to need a lot of cone area and excursion. The other thing you can do is try placing your sub(s) nearfield to the listening position. I had a room of about the same volume in the last house we had.  A great setup in that room was Jag/LFMs with a Maestro sub placed nearfield and only used from about 35Hz on down . . .  The LFMs took care of the midbass and the Maestro did that last octave . . .

dougme57

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2013, 01:19 pm »
Thanks Mike,

Were the LFM's 2 active drivers or 1 passive? I can't remember. I want to build myself and while I currently have (1) 12" i need much more. I want the tight, quick finished bottom for my music and at the same time enhance our theater experience. The simple idea is to build 2 sealed 10's or 12's and run in stereo with the current 12. The current 12 is on the side of the room with my equipment rack and about 12  feet from the Sapphires.

I guess for the sake of simplicity I was thinking speaker level connections to the Sapphires as my current set up has about 20 feet of wire travel between amp and speakers.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2013, 01:41 pm »
Both drivers were active.

dougme57

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2013, 04:42 pm »
Thank you. I have some work to do lol!

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2013, 11:02 am »
Have fun with it Doug!

Carl V

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2013, 02:06 am »
I'd be interested in seeing those designs & hearing of your opinion.
a classmate built the jag 2000...later on using Hypex plate amps
built powered bass bins...he then used Anarchy 6.5 woofers...nice system.

good luck.