6 Moons reviews - Blue Horizon Mains Noise Analyzer

RPM123

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bluehorizon/1.html
Here is an interesting read.

I'd love to get my hands on one of these things, but unlikely given the price!  :(

Conclusion: "From this we conclude that power issues/component interactions remain puzzling and not at all straightforward. What we learnt is that a dedicated regenerated and filtered power zone like the PS Audio PPP and similar gear offer works best. Having our system run that way the Blue Horizon Noise Analyser showed all zeros and no noise. Sonically this translated to the most realistic images with shockwave transients and clean decays. The other thing we learnt is that the Noise Analyser is mandatory for reviewers. For consumers at least their dealer ought to have one and loan it to them or come over and do an analysis. Simply selling and installing a regenerator/filter is not enough. Component interaction will play funny and unexpected tricks. Those can be eliminated by trial and error but need confirmation with an analyzer."

"Critics may protest that it remains unclear what exactly the analyzer measures and whether the measured noise really has a detrimental effect on our hifi sound. The first is very true. Only a very expensive electrical analyzer can determine what rides on the power line and what causes it. Regarding the latter, in our case eliminating the cleaning agent of PPP and instead relying on ‘pure’ wall power simply killed the music. What we’d still like to see for this mains analyser is a volume control because some noise can get very loud; and an adapter by way of a male IEC so that power cords too can be assessed."

SoCalWJS

Re: 6 Moons reviews - Blue Horizon Mains Noise Analyzer
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2012, 02:31 pm »
Interesting read and definitely makes it even tougher to draw conclusions as a bunch of popular conceptions appear to be unsupported (dimmers, computers, etc). I am confused about the benefit of the PPP, as he states that the reason it worked was that it was originally a U.S. model and the conversion to EU was responsible for the benefits (unless I misunderstood).

Would love to see an article dedicated to using this device (or similar) to compare a wide variety of different devices and comparing which product does what (but you'd still need to find out what the issues are at your location that need to be addressed).

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2012, 12:14 pm »
I don't see anything about the Noise Analyzer on the Blue Horizon web page.  I'm not at all sure that the device does exactly what the non-technical reviewer thinks it does.

RPM123

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2012, 01:33 am »
Company reply below from an inquiry I sent.

"We will be updating our website shortly. Our website really focuses on our consumer products, we do quite a bit of OEM work and MNA was designed to be a business to business tool not necessarily a consumer product. Following 6 MOONS acquiring a unit and writing about it we need to re-consider that judgement, and probably put it onto our online site.

Thanks for your understanding."

Keith Martin
Blue Horizon Ideas Ltd.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2012, 01:43 am »
I inquired with Keith about a US version at 120 volts and he said it is in the works.  I told him to sign me up for one of the first units.

RPM123

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2012, 01:58 am »
Nice and please do report back on your experience with it!  :D

songlove

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jul 2012, 08:46 pm »
Look nice, but I highly doubt it will make big difference.

Nyal Mellor

• Industry Participant
  • Founder - Acoustic Frontiers.
    • Acoustic Frontiers
« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2012, 11:04 pm »
What you really need is something that tells you this :)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2012, 11:12 pm »
A used Fluke 43 could be more value than this BlueHorizon.
To the audiophile rarely is useful to know his home had poor energy, as we know energy is always bad for one reason or other.
What audiophile needs is correction.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2012, 12:30 am »
What you really need is something that tells you this :)
Haven't seen you post here in a loooong time.  Where have you been hiding? 

So, what's the cost of this monster?

Nyal Mellor

• Industry Participant
  • Founder - Acoustic Frontiers.
    • Acoustic Frontiers
« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2012, 03:29 pm »
Yeah I've been busy with projects - here are a listening room and theater recently done and then I was on vacation and also building my demo room :)

What's been going on!

Anyway, those measurements posted above were using the Powervar Power Probe and one of the new Agilent oscilloscopes, about $2k total cost. Of course the oscilloscope can be used for many things.

Telstar

« Reply #11 on: 26 Dec 2012, 02:42 pm »
Anyway, those measurements posted above were using the Powervar Power Probe and one of the new Agilent oscilloscopes, about $2k total cost. Of course the oscilloscope can be used for many things.

Would this probe work with my old tek 50mhz analog scope?
If so where could i get one and how much?

Occam

« Reply #12 on: 26 Dec 2012, 05:31 pm »
Would this probe work with my old tek 50mhz analog scope?
If so where could i get one and how much?

Powervar acquired OneAC in 2011. I'm not positive, but the PowerVar line viewer appears to be the same as my unit, a OneAC line viewer, model 103. A 103 just sold on EBay for $90 -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/oneac-line-viewer-103-/110973490793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d6891669
The unit outputs common and normal mode noise on 2 different BNCs, as well as the ac waveform on another bnc, hence, the (ideal) requirement for a 2 channel scope for viewing. The input is a standard 15amp IEC inlet.

Powervar PP115 manual -
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STARINMANUALS/ETA/Manuals/Power%20Probe.pdf
it matches my OneAC 103 manual, no longer online.

FWIW,
Paul

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2014, 03:54 am »
A used Fluke 43 could be more value than this BlueHorizon.
To the audiophile rarely is useful to know his home had poor energy, as we know energy is always bad for one reason or other.
What audiophile needs is correction.

Hi FULLRANGEMAN.
I know this post is old like me,
however, I wanted to say that I agree with you 100%.
Who has a clean noise free power line?
No one I'm sure, especially here on planet Vietnam.
I've seen with my own eyes a Vietnamese man in a family run business
putting CE stickers on appliances they made in the back store.
I'm sure they got those stickers from the brother who's a printer...

Guy 13

Sorry to wake up ghost...