SongTowers: Ribbon Tweeter vs. Dome Tweeter

Nuance

Re: SongTowers: Ribbon Tweeter vs. Dome Tweeter
« Reply #40 on: 12 Feb 2009, 07:59 pm »
That's correct Dennis.  The RT plot is the simulation you sent me, and the dome is from the comparo of grills on and off that was posted in funkmonkey's speaker quest thread.  The plot I posted for the dome SongTower was with the grills off. 

As far as I know the RT version has not been measured yet.  If it has, I'd like to see it myself. 

Hope that helps. 

fsimms

« Reply #41 on: 12 Feb 2009, 08:01 pm »
This is the original post for the SongTowers.  It has a plot of the response at 60%!!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40820.0

Bob

Kokishin

• Cirroc: Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
« Reply #42 on: 12 Feb 2009, 10:19 pm »
This is the original post for the SongTowers.  It has a plot of the response at 60%!!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40820.0

Bob

60 degrees?

devine

« Reply #43 on: 13 Feb 2009, 12:03 am »
How wide is your audio room?

14 feet wide by 15 feet deep with an 8 foot ceiling. The main listening position is 10 feet back which will be about 8 feet from the speakers (allowing for a foot of clearance behind them).  That position is 7 feet from either side wall so right in the middle. The other positions are at most 2 feet to the left or right. As I'm thinking about it there shouldn't any off-axis positions whether it's the domes or RTs.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #44 on: 13 Feb 2009, 12:07 am »
In that room I think it comes down to the issue of what kind of music you listen to.  I wouldn't worry about differences in the off-axis response. 

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #45 on: 13 Feb 2009, 12:29 am »
Dennis or Jim,

Can you tell us what type / Quality of components are used to build the crossovers? I dont want you to reveal any trade secrets etc...but was wondering about the components used in building and the design?

I am an electrical engineer type and to me individual components mean a lot to me. There are great parts and some not so great parts....

Don't know if anyone has asked this kind of question before?

All the best
Alex

NOTE: I just thought that my question is not really a ribbon vs a dome tweeter question, and i did not mean to hijack this thread. It probably is better suited to a thread by itself....if this is more apprppriate let me know and I will start this type of technical discussion in another thread... :D

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #46 on: 13 Feb 2009, 01:15 am »
Jim will have to give you specifics about brands.  But we're definitely talking high quality air core inductors of the gauge I specified for optimum performance, non-inductive resistors, probably Mills, although Jim would have to confirm, and poly caps on the level of, say, Solens.  You can specifiy anythng you want.  I know Jim offers a cap upgrade for the HT3's  and I'm sure he would do the same for any other speaker.  I personally think it's a waste of money, but I'm an economist, so what do I know?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #47 on: 13 Feb 2009, 01:34 am »
Hi Dennis,

Interesting, some folks really get caught up in the component "brands" used in their 'stuff'....I would be more interested in the tolerances of the components in a design that dictates a particular value and there is a reason for this.

Some lesser spec'd components could easily get out of spec, to a point this is not very important in some circuits and in others is very important.

I can remember measuring resistors to get the ones I wanted in my circuits when it was important etc...not all those gold banded resistors were in spec.

Then there is the "this brand" sounds better than that brand etc...I am not really concerned about this...although it makes fun reading at times  :D

Its more of are we using really good, solid components that meet the circuit design tolerances and how well do the components stay in tolerance over time. Usually this is in circuits that have hot cold cycles etc...in a speaker this is not usually an issue. (me thinks).

From you short response I am sure Jim uses the 'good stuff'.

I just have a wandering mind!!

All the best
Alex

Toka

« Reply #48 on: 15 Feb 2009, 11:30 pm »
As far as I know the RT version has not been measured yet.  If it has, I'd like to see it myself. 

Same here! In addition to FR plots I'd like to see waterfall plots, THD, etc. comparing the two...the nerd in me craves such things!  :oops:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #49 on: 16 Feb 2009, 12:11 am »
Well, the nerd at this end would have to rebuild the RT.  It's long since been dismantled. 

Toka

« Reply #50 on: 16 Feb 2009, 10:18 am »
Well, the nerd at this end would have to rebuild the RT.  It's long since been dismantled. 

Ah...was unawares!  :duh: I'll just tinker with the pinball machine then.  8)