Dspeaker Dual Core review

rodge827

Re: Dspeaker Dual Core review
« Reply #80 on: 26 Oct 2012, 12:17 pm »
From what I understand that null is ubiquitous in small rooms and about impossible to get rid of without more subs.

And the 'after' waterfall to the right exemplifies why the Dual Core is so good. It's seen the obvious peak and cut it. It's seen the extended decay of the dip and not chosen to boost. Boosting a dip isn't generally recommended, because you're effectively pouring amplifier power and driver travel into a sonic black hole, but that is a rule of thumb. It can be done in moderation and the Anti-Mode allows it, although you can also set the limit of how much is allowed. If you flick back and forth between the before/after graphs, there is a hint of boost between 20-25Hz to bring the response gently into line. Remember too, that this result is just the result of the entirely PC free, automated EQ of the Anti-Mode. For music in my room, that's job done - walk away.
[/b]

Looks like trying to get rid of these little nulls is a bad idea.
Tim had told me this a while back before the review came out.

Rclark- You have a very good sub  :D...why not try the the Dual Core on just the one sub and see how the room responds?
Perhaps there is no seed to spend a lot of cash on multiple subs? Dunno it's your call!

There is a lot of written theory supporting the use of multiple subs for proper in room bass. The guys at Dspeaker understood this and designed a product that will get you there without having to spend a small fortune on more subs, cables, and the time it takes to dial them in. :roll:

It may cost more than using Mini DSP and REW.
But hey,  I sold my preamp and dac which covered the cost of the Dual Core.
It is now my preamp, dac, and room correction device all in one neat little box.

Me likey that! :thumb:

medium jim

« Reply #81 on: 26 Oct 2012, 03:29 pm »
Looks like trying to get rid of these little nulls is a bad idea.
Tim had told me this a while back before the review came out.

Rclark- You have a very good sub  :D...why not try the the Dual Core on just the one sub and see how the room responds?
Perhaps there is no seed to spend a lot of cash on multiple subs? Dunno it's your call!

There is a lot of written theory supporting the use of multiple subs for proper in room bass. The guys at Dspeaker understood this and designed a product that will get you there without having to spend a small fortune on more subs, cables, and the time it takes to dial them in. :roll:

It may cost more than using Mini DSP and REW.
But hey,  I sold my preamp and dac which covered the cost of the Dual Core.
It is now my preamp, dac, and room correction device all in one neat little box.

Me likey that! :thumb:

Then there is the other side that says with 2 or more subs you might not need room correction, or if so, minimal eq'ing or treatments.  I personally think getting two fast subs to start is the way to go, then see what you have....

Jim

*Scotty*

« Reply #82 on: 26 Oct 2012, 10:29 pm »
What has been overlooked in the thread so far is the fact that the Dspeaker Dual Core is being used to solve the same bass problem that occurs with a pair of full range loudspeakers. In light of the results so far the Dspeaker Dual Core could be highly recommended to owners of full range loudspeakers who wish to tame bass problems without buying room treatments. The observed nulls related to the rooms Schroeder frequency might be reduced or eliminated entirely if one of the subs was relocated to the center of the back wall and operated out phase in combination with the equalization from the Dspeaker. Obviously this is not an option with a pair of fullrange loudspeakers.
Scotty

rodge827

« Reply #83 on: 26 Oct 2012, 11:29 pm »
What has been overlooked in the thread so far is the fact that the Dspeaker Dual Core is being used to solve the same bass problem that occurs with a pair of full range loudspeakers. In light of the results so far the Dspeaker Dual Core could be highly recommended to owners of full range loudspeakers who wish to tame bass problems without buying room treatments. The observed nulls related to the rooms Schroeder frequency might be reduced or eliminated entirely if one of the subs was relocated to the center of the back wall and operated out phase in combination with the equalization from the Dspeaker. Obviously this is not an option with a pair of fullrange loudspeakers.
Scotty
[/quote

:thumb:

wisnon

« Reply #84 on: 27 Oct 2012, 01:49 am »
Scotty

Yes, the 2.0 in the name is not the release number of the software, rather is the code indicating that this device is aimed at 2.0 systems without sub-woofers, though it can handle 2.2 as well.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #85 on: 27 Oct 2012, 02:43 am »
Scotty

It can also add delay to the subs too, so if the back wall sub needs to be delayed it'll do it. I do think you'd want to get your setup as close as possible before running the corrections, but I also think the DSP is going to make a positive difference even in very carefully set up systems.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but my sub is x'ed over at 50 Hz, the DSPeaker extends to 500 Hz, so subs are just a part of it...

wisnon

« Reply #86 on: 27 Oct 2012, 07:46 am »
The DSPeaker CAN go to 500hz, but over 250hz is NOT recommended. Our local distributor of the Dspeaker AMDC is a maker of high end speakers and has pro testing equipment. He says that above 200hz or so, you start to start creating more problems than you solve...based on his measurements.

Rclark

« Reply #87 on: 27 Oct 2012, 07:54 am »
Yeah, at that point let your treatments take over.

finsup

« Reply #88 on: 30 Oct 2012, 11:10 pm »
I have read through the thread and some of this is over my head.  As one who has not used any kind of electronic room eq at this point (modest, but effective room treatments only), I am now at a point where I want to add a sub to my system, maybe two, and I have a question about the prudent path to take re room eq.  With respect to using other kinds of room eq such as Audyssey, ARC, MAAC, etc., is the Dspeaker Core an either / or proposition, or both / and?  Thanks.

2001pass-var

« Reply #89 on: 30 Oct 2012, 11:25 pm »
Hi roscoeiii,

I did a search and went to here http://radioproshop.com/pyramid-ps/powersupply.htm.
There are a lot of Pyramid PSU's...could you narrow it down a little for us?

I bet they are talking about this supply: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JTD2K/ref=s9_simh_gw_p422_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1K9K34SF2GJXD5JDNJS2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Correct me if I'm wrong.

roscoeiii

« Reply #90 on: 31 Oct 2012, 01:25 am »
Yes, that is the one. It even appears as a package bundle option with the MF V-DAC on the V-DAC's Amazon page.

wisnon

« Reply #91 on: 1 Nov 2012, 02:21 pm »
I have read through the thread and some of this is over my head.  As one who has not used any kind of electronic room eq at this point (modest, but effective room treatments only), I am now at a point where I want to add a sub to my system, maybe two, and I have a question about the prudent path to take re room eq.  With respect to using other kinds of room eq such as Audyssey, ARC, MAAC, etc., is the Dspeaker Core an either / or proposition, or both / and?  Thanks.
Either or!

Guidof

« Reply #92 on: 2 Nov 2012, 12:13 am »

The distinct advantage of the DSPeaker Dual Core (to my mind) is that the correction of room modes is totally automatic. It takes about ten minutes and you're done. In addition, there is a 16 filter parametric equalizer that can be used if you feel the need to manually shape the room response above 250Hz. And there is a capable and transparent DAC that can handle up to 24/96 tracks. Hard to beat, in my view.

Guido F.

ryno

« Reply #93 on: 5 Nov 2012, 03:59 am »
How is the DAC vs others?
roscoeiii, you just sold a gungnir.
Right now I have a gungnir and a W4S pre, and I'm looking into Eq. I could use the dual core as a digital in/out eq, or replace my DAC and pre and use all its features. I have a behringer eq that I stopped using years ago, thought the flatter response wasn't worth the negatives, didn't sound as natural.
Ryan

roscoeiii

« Reply #94 on: 5 Nov 2012, 04:12 am »
Hi ryno,

I didn't have a chance to A/B the Gungnir with the DSPeaker Dual Core. The Gungnir was sold and I need to get it shipped tomorrow, but maybe I will A/B just the DAC performance tomorrow before I pack up the Gungnir.

What sold me on the DSPeaker was its positive impact on the sound of my system (bass in particular) when using the analog input for my vinyl playback (!). I A/Bed the DSPeaker A/D/A in bypass mode (no DSP employed) with an all analog signal, and while the audition was not very very extensive (where I imagine small differences would probably be revealed), I heard no degradation of the sound (output level was lower through the DSPeaker though, I needed to adjust listening levels with an SPL meter; incidentally this is a good thing in my system, which has a little too much gain overall). Once the DSP was run (via Typical setting) the Dual Core clearly improved the sound.

More details to come as I live with the DSPeaker for a little while longer.

Only gripe so far is that I haven't had any luck with the Toslink input (which the dealer said was picky). Analog and USB work fine. Hopefully toying with the optical cables will get this sorted out.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #95 on: 5 Nov 2012, 04:17 am »
I would be interested to hear a comparison between the DSPeaker and Gungnir DACs, I currently have a Bifrost and am considering the DSPeaker. I've also been looking into other options but I worry sound quality may not match the DSPeaker unit.

medium jim

« Reply #96 on: 5 Nov 2012, 04:21 am »
Hi Rodge:

Glad to read that you and your family made it safely through Hurricane Sandy.

Jim

ryno

« Reply #97 on: 5 Nov 2012, 04:50 am »
Thanks roscoeiii,
Your trouble with optical, is that with analog or digital input?
Thanks again, Ryan

roscoeiii

« Reply #98 on: 5 Nov 2012, 05:08 am »
optical input is the issue. But I will freely admit that my optical cables are junk and the mini plug to optical adaptor that I need for my Mac's optical output has given me problem before. Just haven't had much time to investigate. I also have an Oppo with optical out but just haven't pulled it out yet to see how that works.

2001pass-var

« Reply #99 on: 5 Nov 2012, 02:52 pm »
I had issues with the optical input in that it wouldn't play 96K material, the 44K was fine.  I ended up getting a Toslink to Toslink cable from these guys and it sorted out the issue:  http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2012, 08:39 pm by 2001pass-var »