Lets see your O.B. speakers....!

herby

Re: Lets see your O.B. speakers....!
« Reply #80 on: 21 Feb 2014, 06:25 am »
Hi guy,
Yes you are correct,  it is a transcendent amp I bought it second hand ready made.. The two amps on the wooden plinths are Meridian 105 mono blocks plus I have a couple of tripath amps 2020 and a 2024. But the amp I am currently using is a Altmann clone I built, I have another post running on it under solid state. For source I have a couple of dac boards tda and akm based, a modified play station one top left on the rack. I also have a systemdex record deck which I have made a unipivit tonearm for, I play that through a valve phono stage upper right on the rack.
As for the speakers they consist of  15" bass drivers, I bought these used so not sure of their make, the mids are nos vintage seas units with alnico magnets and are very efficient, with a spl of 96.the ribbon tweeter is from fountex and has a spl of 97, so all drivers match well leading to a simple crossover. You probably cant make out on the pictures but the speakers are covered in a cream leather, and the mid and tweeter baffle, I made out of some old oak flooring. I think the cream leather and the oak look quite classy looking together.  Glad you like.

Guy 13

« Reply #81 on: 21 Feb 2014, 10:05 am »
Hi guy,
Yes you are correct,  it is a transcendent amp I bought it second hand ready made.. The two amps on the wooden plinths are Meridian 105 mono blocks plus I have a couple of tripath amps 2020 and a 2024. But the amp I am currently using is a Altmann clone I built, I have another post running on it under solid state. For source I have a couple of dac boards tda and akm based, a modified play station one top left on the rack. I also have a systemdex record deck which I have made a unipivit tonearm for, I play that through a valve phono stage upper right on the rack.
As for the speakers they consist of  15" bass drivers, I bought these used so not sure of their make, the mids are nos vintage seas units with alnico magnets and are very efficient, with a spl of 96.the ribbon tweeter is from fountex and has a spl of 97, so all drivers match well leading to a simple crossover. You probably cant make out on the pictures but the speakers are covered in a cream leather, and the mid and tweeter baffle, I made out of some old oak flooring. I think the cream leather and the oak look quite classy looking together.  Glad you like.
Hi herby and all Audio Circle members.
I love it.
You are a talented DIYer.
Really nice and everything match perfectly color and material wise.
Thanks for taking the time to comment your nice system.

Guy 13

The guy with five thumbs instead of four fingers and one thumb.

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
« Reply #82 on: 4 May 2014, 09:29 am »

I am very intrigued by the SEOS waveguide for the 140-15D dipole.  How do you like the sound compared to no waveguide?  I have a pair of these ribbons and planning my next build but I had no idea about these waveguides, very cool stuff.  Is it mostly to control dispersion of the ribbon to match the mids?  Or boost low-end efficiency?

bjarnetv

« Reply #83 on: 10 May 2014, 05:23 pm »
I am very intrigued by the SEOS waveguide for the 140-15D dipole.  How do you like the sound compared to no waveguide?  I have a pair of these ribbons and planning my next build but I had no idea about these waveguides, very cool stuff.  Is it mostly to control dispersion of the ribbon to match the mids?  Or boost low-end efficiency?

i bought the waveguide mainly to match the forward dispersion with the ja8008 on a minimal baffle.
it needs some EQ to play as flat as the stock ribbon, but to my ears the hornloaded ribbon has more punch and liveliness.
my living-room is also acoustically untreated, so i suspect controlled dispersion helps the sound a lot.
if you plan to cross low, the added sensitivity below 5k also comes in handy  :wink:

here you see the difference between stock (red) and waveguide (green) on axis

raal 0-90 dispersion without waveguide:

here you see how the raal+waveguide 0-70 dispersion matches the mid on an early prototype without proper EQ and XO

and a more current measurement after going full active.
(left and right speaker, mic placed in listening position, the lines are 5db apart)

i have since raised the volume of the tweeter and adjusted the woofer/mid xo, but i dont have any screenshots.

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
« Reply #84 on: 11 May 2014, 06:56 am »
Very impressive, thanks for the info and detailed graphs!

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #85 on: 10 Dec 2014, 02:21 am »
Fostex FE103-SOL-8 (50th anniversary edition) over Alpha15A

ttan98

« Reply #86 on: 10 Dec 2014, 05:17 am »
Fostex FE103-SOL-8 (50th anniversary edition) over Alpha15A

A few questions please:

How do you find the FE103 anniver. model? which FR did you use before this model if possible can you describe the sound compared with the previous FR you use.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #87 on: 10 Dec 2014, 10:43 am »
Eminence Beta 12LTA with craft egg phase plug over H-frame Alphas

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #89 on: 10 Dec 2014, 10:43 pm »
A few questions please:

How do you find the FE103 anniver. model? which FR did you use before this model if possible can you describe the sound compared with the previous FR you use.

WBA Betsy was the only driver that i tried in OB. Decent FR for the money but to my ears FE103 Sol sounds better.Fast ,cleaner midrange with much better extension .

ttan98

« Reply #90 on: 11 Dec 2014, 04:56 am »
Opnly bffld and aragon63,

Thanks,  Aragon63 any freq response curve from FE103?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #91 on: 11 Dec 2014, 11:23 am »
I've not tried the Fostex FE103.

I have used the 4.5 inch FE126En in OB. Although more detailed the Fostex sounded thin compared to the 8 inch WBAL Betsy.

My preference is for drivers 8 inches or above. Really liked the 8 inch TB W8-1808 but loved the 12 inch Beta 12LTA.

The Beta's grand sense of scale still amazes me. Less refined than the DX3 but in it's own way just as enjoyable.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #92 on: 11 Dec 2014, 01:30 pm »
Pro audio FR dont work as OB. :duh:

Guy 13

« Reply #93 on: 11 Dec 2014, 01:44 pm »
Hi FullRangeMan,
what do you call Pro Audio, is that a make or model?
Please explain a little more.
Thanks.

Guy 13

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #94 on: 11 Dec 2014, 01:55 pm »
They sound MUCH better standing up.

Guy 13

« Reply #95 on: 11 Dec 2014, 02:09 pm »
They sound MUCH better standing up.
Hi Bob,
Bob you know nothing about those speakers, :nono:
those are the sharing type of speakers,
you share your music with the guys downstairs. :lol:

Guy 13

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #96 on: 11 Dec 2014, 02:17 pm »
Oh ok. That makes sense.
I thought they were a half dipole rear wave vertical dispersing omni-directional hybrid.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #97 on: 11 Dec 2014, 02:23 pm »
Hi FullRangeMan,
what do you call Pro Audio, is that a make or model?
Please explain a little more.
Thanks.

Guy 13
Thanks Guy you most kind as always.
They are 10'' Eros 251V 200Wrms sound reinforcementf FR, the QTS is low=0,26.

OBS.: The new Eros E251V have a higher QTS=-0,584
http://www.ninjaproaudio.com.br/produto/72/alto-falante-10-quot-200w-rms-4-ohms-e251v-eros-alto-falante-e-251v-4-ohms-eros.html

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #98 on: 11 Dec 2014, 02:49 pm »

Have you tried mounting them from the rear and beveling the fronts.... ?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #99 on: 11 Dec 2014, 03:47 pm »
Have you tried mounting them from the rear and beveling the fronts.... ?
No, just inline as in the photo.