Another LDR3x Rev. 2 build.

rajacat

• Washington State
Another LDR3x Rev. 2 build.
« on: 27 Feb 2015, 09:20 pm »
Finally finished this and it sounds wonderful. :D

A machinist friend has volunteered to build a brass knob. Alternatively, I could go for a wood knob from DKnob. http://dknob.com/index.html

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6OCaOceSGh4/VPDPnEi_D0I/AAAAAAAABjc/SnYtEBmj30Y/s800/P1080488.JPG?gl=US

TrungT

Re: Another LDR3x Rev. 2 build.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2015, 09:28 pm »
Nicely done.  :thumb:
Thanks for posting.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2015, 10:50 pm »
Woot woot!! Very nice indeed. And the tortuga on top of the Tortuga is quite a nice touch.
And  while the DKnob's look great you already have plenty of wood so I would think a shiny brass (or even copper) knob might  be even better
Enjoy!  :thumb:

33na3rd

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2015, 08:11 pm »
Very nice!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2015, 10:51 pm »
Thanks guys for compliments. :D
Morten, I agree, a brass knob would create an nice contrast with the redwood.

...Roy

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2015, 11:07 pm »
Very nice!  Did you install the IR Sensor?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2015, 02:12 am »
Very nice!  Did you install the IR Sensor?
Thanks! :)
Yes, I did install the IR sensor. It works although I'll probably have to extend the leads a bit because the wiring harness partially blocks the direct line of sight. I'm not sure if the 3/4" redwood is disturbing it too. I might have to create a more direct path by drilling a hole in the faceplate. I'd rather not do that.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2015, 03:07 pm »
Thanks! :)
Yes, I did install the IR sensor. It works although I'll probably have to extend the leads a bit because the wiring harness partially blocks the direct line of sight. I'm not sure if the 3/4" redwood is disturbing it too. I might have to create a more direct path by drilling a hole in the faceplate. I'd rather not do that.

Rather than add another hole in the font panel I suggest one of the following.

The master DM1 display module board has a mounting location for the IR sensor such that you can position the sensor adjacent to the display module which already has a window looking out. Usually that is sufficient since the IR sensor we use is fairly responsive even at angles up to 90 degree to the sensor.

Alternatively, you might consider drilling a discrete hole in the bottom of the enclosure and position the sensor down through the hole facing out towards the room. The whole sensor probably doesn't have to be exposed. Probably only a portion of it. An inch or so back from the front would be fine. Perhaps even farther back would work as well. You really would hardly notice it.

robertopisa

« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2015, 10:22 pm »
Very nice. I personally prefer a metal enclosure to protect from EMI/RFI.
-Roberto

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2015, 10:43 pm »
Very nice. I personally prefer a metal enclosure to protect from EMI/RFI.
-Roberto
Thanks. :)

I suppose the box could be lined with copper foil to ground. I'm not sure about the EMI/RFI issue. To my ear this unit sounds at least as good as the first tour LDR3. Of course, now you've got me thinking. Audionervosa creeps in. :? Maybe it would sound better fully shielded. :scratch:

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #10 on: 5 Mar 2015, 01:20 am »
I first used a completely open wooden board, then a metal enclosure.  I heard no difference, but then, I am an uncultured hick who seldom perceives small changes.  Also I don't live near a lot of noise sources.

robertopisa

« Reply #11 on: 5 Mar 2015, 04:54 am »
I receive the signal of over ten wifi access points from neighbours, and have a cell phone repeater antenna at 50m.  My cables are all balanced and shielded.

Nick B

« Reply #12 on: 5 Mar 2015, 06:00 am »
Finally finished this and it sounds wonderful. :D

A machinist friend has volunteered to build a brass knob. Alternatively, I could go for a wood knob from DKnob. http://dknob.com/index.html

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6OCaOceSGh4/VPDPnEi_D0I/AAAAAAAABjc/SnYtEBmj30Y/s800/P1080488.JPG?gl=US

Very nice work inside and out   :thumb:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #13 on: 7 Mar 2015, 04:21 pm »
Thanks Nick. :D