8 W SET & Paradox 3's?

Adamay

8 W SET & Paradox 3's?
« on: 17 May 2011, 05:44 pm »
Hi all. I am still proudly using the venerable GR-Research Paradox 3 floorstanders (90.5 db) as my main speakers. I've tweaked them & love them--never found another speaker I clearly prefer.  I'm considering a pair of 8 watt SET mono's.  Would the SET amps have enough power to drive these to satisfying levels? 

My room is 12x24, and I typically don't listen outrageously loud. But I do include classic rock in my wide range of music (although my main listening these days is to jazz combos).  Thanks very much for any advice.  (Current amps are Nuforce mono's, driven by a Don Allen tube linestage; typically don't get above 10 on the pre's volume knob.)

jparkhur

Re: 8 W SET & Paradox 3's?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2011, 05:49 pm »
I just got a set of Decware el84 amps, using one right now.  2 watts, and with N3s speakers at 91 db.  They actually sound very good.  BUT, I can not get them REALLY loud, loud yes, great at low levels, no home theater music coming from these.  I very much enjoy them though.  Open sound and great for all types of music.  Go for it. 8 watts should be ok.

milford3

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2011, 06:00 pm »
  The 8 watt SET mono is more than enough to drive the speakers.  I have the Musical Paradise 301 MK 2 @ 6.5 watts and it drives my Axiom M22v2's with a 93 sensitivity with ease.  Just use caution when approching high volume. 

Adamay

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2011, 06:32 pm »
Thanks, guys.  How's the bass that you're getting with SET amps and these speakers?  I have no illusion that I'll get Nuforce-strength bass out of a SET, but I don't want to have the bass missing or too flabby to hear good details in the bass & lower bass region.  Thanks for your help.

jparkhur

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2011, 06:35 pm »
I am crossed over at 65 ish with bass coming out of a separate sub, sorry, I GOT BASS, I think youll be fine going low in to the high 20s

milford3

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2011, 06:47 pm »
I'm running two subs in my system.  After I hooked up the MP-301 MK2 for the first time I too had bass managment issues.  I crossed down to 60hz on both subs and then toned up/down till I got what I liked. SET amps are very sweet in the low end.  Good luck. :thumb:

srb

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2011, 07:14 pm »
  The 8 watt SET mono is more than enough to drive the speakers.  I have the Musical Paradise 301 MK 2 @ 6.5 watts and it drives my Axiom M22v2's with a 93 sensitivity with ease.  Just use caution when approching high volume.

Just as a side note, when comparing your 93dB speakers to Adamay's 90.5dB speakers, the 2.5dB difference would be equivalent to him having to use an 11.5W/channel amplifier compared to your 6.5W for the same performance levels.

Steve