Perpetuum Ebner PE 3012

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
Perpetuum Ebner PE 3012
« on: 16 Dec 2011, 12:30 pm »
I'm attempting to refurbish one for a co-worker. I know VE has a service manual for it, but I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on the re-build and possible cartridge matches for this arm. It has a crusty old ADC XLM on it now that's totally shot.

Thanks,

Craig

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
Re: Perpetuum Ebner PE 3012
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2011, 09:53 pm »
:bump:

Perhaps this would have been better asked in the Vintage Circle?  :scratch:

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2011, 12:05 am »
This is the right place to ask. I'm not good at the rebuild thing. And even though I wouldn't know what to say (necessarily), I love looking at pics! Is this an idler wheel? Does the thing spin? etc. etc.
Plus, there may be the PE guy just like Bill Neumann does Duals and Dave Archambault does Thorens/AR...

Paul

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2011, 11:58 am »
Hi Mitsu,
I don't have a clue about this table. From the picture, the arm looks a little scary, but it could be OK. Like I said.....

You can get the idler wheel refurbished here:
http://www.turntablebasics.com/idlerwheels.html

Do the automatic functions work? You should be able to check that even w/o a functioning cart. See if it cycles. For auto return you might have to hold the arm over where the record would be, for a couple of minutes. Often there's a capacitor that has to charge up. The service manual will have these details. I think you and your friend need to evaluate what it needs and whether it's worth it. TT basics used to sell just the rubbers for the wheels. They were $10 - 15. Maybe you can find another source and maybe you could get some advise from Lenco forum or similar. If the table needs extensive refurbishing it might not be worth doing. Without knowing how good these can be, it's a little difficult giving advise. I suspect that's the reason for few responses.
neo

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2011, 04:58 pm »
Thanks Ortho and Neo for the replies. I'll get some pictures of it and post them in the next couple of days. It's an original owner unit, that's been in storage for years. Very complicated mechanism to be sure, but it seems to be functioning albeit a little erratic. I've got it cleaned up and played a scrap record with it and even with the worn-out ADC and bent cantilever it does sound promising. As I understand it, Dual bought PE in 1971 or so. This unit is well built and the tonearm is very non-traditional but it actually is very light and the bearings are good from what I can tell. I'm going to need the Service Manual for it and I'm not able to access VE any longer.  :roll:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2011, 07:16 pm »
Hmm, your description reminds me of an old Garrard type A my family had when I was a kid, except it had a heavy arm. The gears and levers underneath were a marvel of engineering. That was a changer though. Anyway, you might be able to get it going with very little effort and money. I'd get your co-worker to join VE and print out the service manual anyway.

Have you taken off the bottom? If it's got gears/levers etc, chances are it has dried up grease that's responsible for the erratic behavior. If so, this must be removed and replaced with white lithium grease. You can get this at an auto parts store for a few bucks. Depending on the mechanism(s) you might have to take it apart or parts of it. That's where the service manual comes in handy. It usually has exploded views of the mechanicals. The idler wheel will have a mechanism also. I don't know a better source for the rubber wheel if it needs one. But if it's running now you're way ahead of the game. If the dried grease is bad you might have to soak the parts in solvent, alcohol or gasoline.

Yea, the arm looks light but it was hard to tell for sure. If that cart is working but only needs a stylus, I doubt if you could do much better for under $40.
http://www.lpgear.com/product/ADCSXLMI.html

They also have a MKII and III for $39. They sell Jico so it should be good. I also suggest you use contact cleaner on the pins and electrical connections.